Challenge Cup Semi Finals Double Header (Merged Threads)

Challenge Cup Semi Finals to be held in Bolton at the Macron (reebok...) Stadium.

Double header.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had a message on the Our League App about pre-sale and discounts for the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup Semi-finals Double Header to be Held at The Macron Stadium Bolton on 5th Aug.

Whilst I have long advocated a double header for the Semi-finals and would like to go and attend as a neutral I can't this year due to a prior engagement. I am glad though that they are trying it and hope it is a resounding success and is held in following years and builds to a bigger event.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

3 threads already! Interesting development 

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

Ahem... First as they say....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Definitely an idea worth trying.

Plenty of people on here have suggested it in the past.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Positive response so far... this can't last!

13 minutes ago, davet said:

I personally think it is a good move.

Should be local to the 4 participants, unless Catalan beat us tomoro evening.

A little presumptuous I feel. There is a possibility (and its only that) that Saints don't beat Hull in which case Hull will have the longest journey by far, unless Catalans do the business at your ground (which again is a possibility).

Seems a strange one to me. Instead of getting two games attended by circa 10 - 15k your gonna get maybe a slightly higher attendance maybe 17/18k  but you will have swathes of empty seats with fans only watching thier own game.

Even though you might get a slightly higher attendance on the day you are still down on the aggregate attendance.

You can never add the two attendances up of two normal games and think you will get that at a double header. Just look at the internationals at Coventry for an example. Instead of getting a probable 20k for the Eng v Sco game and a 15k for the Aus v NZ game you put on a double header and get what 22k IIRC.

Great move. I've called for a double header for years, as have many others.

Bolton? Not quite sure of that choice, but very local to many of the favourites to progress. I've no issues with the size (for now), but more the location. Bolton doesn't exactly scream "big event location". Good tester arena though.

Those complaining about it only being 28k need to get real. When was the last time combined semis reached that size? Swathes of empty seats at many a semi over the last few years.

It is far more likely neutrals will attend this than individual ones. 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Well worth a try.  I agree with Wellsy that this might have particular appeal to a neutral, in a way that a single match might not.

By the way, does anybody know why Bolton Wanderers have named their ground after the president of the French republic...

3 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Bolton? Not quite sure of that choice, but very local to many of the favourites to progress. I've no issues with the size (for now), but more the location. Bolton doesn't exactly scream "big event location". Good tester arena though.

Those complaining about it only being 28k need to get real. When was the last time combined semis reached that size? Swathes of empty seats at many a semi over the last few years.

Also more likely that alot less non neutrals turn up due to location. You won't get 15k Leeds and Hull fans that turned up at the keepmoat making the trip to bolton. Especialy if it is on a Fri night.

6 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

A neutral will go to Bolton?

I like the double header, wish it was at the Man City ground.

Sell the sport, its the challenge cup semi finals!!

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 minute ago, MattSantos said:

A neutral will go to Bolton?

I like the double header, wish it was at the Man City ground.

Sell the sport, its the challenge cup semi finals!!

Agree that a more ambitious location could have been selected but it is a step in the right direction. hopefully when they get someone else running the game they can take it one step further next year. I hope they try and promote this properly/or at all to fill the stadium.

5 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Also more likely that alot less non neutrals turn up due to location. You won't get 15k Leeds and Hull fans that turned up at the keepmoat making the trip to bolton. Especialy if it is on a Fri night.

This is hardly a huge travelling commitment for Yorkshire based teams - it's literally motorway all the way there. Also it's to be played on a Sunday. 

Archived