Gaz Hock

We must ensure with the budget we have to recruit the right quality of player, because with York & Bradford likely to come up we may end up in a relegation dog fight. NOT fighting for a top 4

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, hoolifan27 said:

doubt top 4 will be in place next season :(

Another reason to not spend beyond your means. The prize money could be considerably less for 2020, so what's the point of spending what you don't have to chase a cash prize that could be significantly reduced? If they don't have Top 4 the money might be more fairly distributed throughout the table without such a big gap between 4th & 5th?

Is there a curse on this club surrounding so-called marquee signings? Iestyn Harris missed more than half a season through injury, Maiutua took half the season to get here due to visa delays, Paul Wood had a 6 week ban at a crucial time, Ridyard misses the back half of the regular season, and Hock took half a season to get himself fit then missed crucial games through suspension. I don't know whether Holmes could be classed as a marguee signing but he was just as important? I think it all started with Andy Currier?

1 hour ago, Steve Slater said:

Is there a curse on this club surrounding so-called marquee signings? Iestyn Harris missed more than half a season through injury, Maiutua took half the season to get here due to visa delays, Paul Wood had a 6 week ban at a crucial time, Ridyard misses the back half of the regular season, and Hock took half a season to get himself fit then missed crucial games through suspension. I don't know whether Holmes could be classed as a marguee signing but he was just as important? I think it all started with Andy Currier?

Certainly feels that way.

However, this year seems like sod's law. Which says that if you run with no squad depth and rely on Leeds,  you'll get injuries and Leeds will let you down.

19 hours ago, haskey said:

We must ensure with the budget we have to recruit the right quality of player, because with York & Bradford likely to come up we may end up in a relegation dog fight. NOT fighting for a top 4

Can’t be having a relegation fight to be honest. Even with the 2 new clubs, we still have larger crowds and revenue than the majority in the Championship. That said, top 4 looks a struggle.

By the sound of it, top four won't be a thing next year.

That might be our best hope of a decent squad.  If there's no top four, there's no logic in the distribution of the TV money. The only way you can operate a 1 up 1 down league is with equal funding across the league, which would mean we got a bit more.

Massively clutching at straws, but I wonder if (hope that) MC knows this already.

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

By the sound of it, top four won't be a thing next year.

That might be our best hope of a decent squad.  If there's no top four, there's no logic in the distribution of the TV money. The only way you can operate a 1 up 1 down league is with equal funding across the league, which would mean we got a bit more.

Massively clutching at straws, but I wonder if (hope that) MC knows this already.

Would explain the lack of signings towards the end of the season. 

To b e fair Leeds have had their own injuries so the lack of support wasn't intentional. Further we used to rely on producing stars from our A team and then selling off the stars to survive. Now building your own team costs money and where is that to come from?  Tightening ones belts is economical but to produce results we need income. I go back as ever to the question why haven't we used the land to produce income? Leased not sold, it produces income and increases in value and is still ours. Diversify and get results.

The word "RISK" is a good word to sum up featherstone's season. 

RISK 1

Relying on Leeds Rhino's hand outs of players. 

RISK 2

Under recruitment of players see "RISK 1"

RISK 3

allowing Brisco to sign for Leeds just when featherstone needed him

RISK 4

Not having sufficient cover for a long term injury to your marquee signing Ridyard.. Thackeray is good but not on the same mould as ridyard. 

RISK 5

Duffy at the start of his appointment think he suffered something like a 6 to 8 losing streak, featherstone lost key games this Season against London & Halifax at the bash.. They've killed your season. 

RISK 6 

how are featherstone going to recruit new players to compensate what will surely leave, next season I guess next seasons recruitment for all clubs will be the hardest ever, as players think they are worth more than they actually are in a sport that hasn't 2 pennies to rub together.. 

1 hour ago, coolie said:

RISK 4

Not having sufficient cover for a long term injury to your marquee signing Ridyard.. Thackeray is good but not on the same mould as ridyard. 

This is nuts...not the bit about Thacks not being anywhere nears as good as Ridyard, just the suggestion we should have had better cover. Half the teams in the league would love to have Thacks as a starter, never mind 3rd choice half back. Are you suggesting we should have splashed out more on a replacement half back who would only ever play if Ridyard/Holmes got injured, and how would not spending even more money on a back-up not be even more of a risk?

45 minutes ago, coolie said:

RISK 1

RISK 2

RISK 3

RISK 4

RISK 5

Duffy at the start of his appointment think he suffered something like a 6 to 8 losing streak, featherstone lost key games this Season against London & Halifax at the bash.. They've killed your season. 

RISK 6 

how are featherstone going to recruit new players to compensate what will surely leave, next season I guess next seasons recruitment for all clubs will be the hardest ever, as players think they are worth more than they actually are in a sport that hasn't 2 pennies to rub together.. 

Disagree with RISK 4. Cover was sufficient to cover Ridyard, but not quite enough to cover Ridyard and Holmes, although Thackeray and Wildie gave it a good go and were better than any other pair outside the top 4. They were only mastered by Murrell and Johnston, so I don't know where else you think they were going to get better cover from, and they probably had the best reserve half-backs in the Championship? In the end it was the suspension of Wildie against London that finished their season off. You were right about RISK 1 though, the only time they really needed Jordan Lilley was the same week he went out on loan... They were let down badly on that one! 

The Rhinos DR arrangement can be argued either way, positive or negative (and has been, ad nauseum, here and elsewhere), but it's worth noting that we now have opposition fans saying our downfall was the DR arrangement, whereas in each of the past two years opposition fans have said we only made it into the top 4 because of the DR arrangement...

All the analysis etc but we finished just outside the top four. Perhaps the supporters of other teams who are giving us the yap should look at how they could improve their own teams. We are a small town and have not a large population. Never the less in spite of that we have done very well over the years as the records will show. 

1 hour ago, coolie said:

RISK 1

RISK 2

RISK 3

RISK 4

RISK 5

RISK 6 

Agree with all that, except number 4 to an extent.

Halfback cover was more than adequate to cover the loss of Ridyard or Holmes, but not both.

We should reasonably have expected to get Jordan Lilley during this vital period.  That was exactly when he was loaned out.  Thanks for nothing Mr Hetherington.

Bottom line is that we bet the farm on some star players and hoped that Leeds would be the cavalry when needed.  It could have worked and been wonderful.  It didn't and now we're in the gary glitter. 

We've come back from worse. 

Up The Chuffing Rovers.

Not sure that Lilley would have been the Messiah that several think as I can't remember him breaking any pots the times he has played for us. As for needing another halfback we ended up with the 2 who got us into the top 4 before - that really should have been adequate. There were lots of (mainly little but with large consequence) things that meant we missed out, and I really don't believe that not getting Lilley was one of them.

2 hours ago, coolie said:

RISK 1

RISK 2

RISK 3

RISK 4

RISK 5

RISK 6 

Risk 3 yes.  Well not a risk really was it ?  Just totally xxxxing nuts.  I still haven't quite come to terms with that one.  Although it did sink in a bit more this weekend when I saw his 95 yarder against ...........London.  Unbelievable.

the rest though ????? Don't agree at all.

4 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Risk 3 yes.  Well not a risk really was it ?  Just totally xxxxing nuts.  I still haven't quite come to terms with that one.  Although it did sink in a bit more this weekend when I saw his 95 yarder against ...........London.  Unbelievable.

the rest though ????? Don't agree at all.

Not sure it was 'nuts'. Would you have denied him a chance to move up a level/improve his earning power? Not to mention that he may well have had a clause in his contract allowing him to move to a SL club should one come knocking. Personally the Club gained in my estimation (ignoring their, and TBF Leeds' press releases at the time) by allowing him to go. Having said that I think Holmes had a more than significant influence on his scoring feats - check out Briscoe's try scoring record before he signed for Fev, for Fev before Holmes came and after he was injured with that when Holmes played.

20 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

Can probably rule out Hock as part of the curse. That's just a case of a club not doing their homework on a player and taking a very expensive gamble.

Find it quite bizarre that we (or should I say, a Dewsbury fan) are scrutinising our season, we finished 5th in a league that was always going to be tough and if Leigh  would have got off to a better start, would probably have finished 6th! DR is what it is, I’d love Fev to have their own players season in season out, but it ain’t going to happen. We’ve used Leeds players most of the season but unfortunately Leeds were struggling with injuries at the back end so why would they give us players they clearly needed! Halifax away and London at home costs us a top 4 spot imo and I hate to say it, individual errors! No one truly knows what business goes on at the club unless they’re there in the boardroom, we can only hope that we have some decent people running the club and leave them to it, I’ve said it before but for me only one thing is going to get Fev to the next level and it ain’t Ridyard, Holmes or Hock, it’s a multi millionaire prepared to throw money at the club with no strings......

32 minutes ago, Auntie Ruth said:

Find it quite bizarre that we (or should I say, a Dewsbury fan) are scrutinising our season, we finished 5th in a league that was always going to be tough and if Leigh  would have got off to a better start, would probably have finished 6th! DR is what it is, I’d love Fev to have their own players season in season out, but it ain’t going to happen. We’ve used Leeds players most of the season but unfortunately Leeds were struggling with injuries at the back end so why would they give us players they clearly needed! Halifax away and London at home costs us a top 4 spot imo and I hate to say it, individual errors! No one truly knows what business goes on at the club unless they’re there in the boardroom, we can only hope that we have some decent people running the club and leave them to it, I’ve said it before but for me only one thing is going to get Fev to the next level and it ain’t Ridyard, Holmes or Hock, it’s a multi millionaire prepared to throw money at the club with no strings......

In my opinion this is not the way I would like to see our club progress. Look over the hill to the dark side and see the state Leigh are in thanks to their millionaire. Cast your mind back to the fake sheik and remember how that ended. For me sustainable growth and running a good business is the way to progress. If by doing that we have reached the limit of our potential then so be it.

24 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

In my opinion this is not the way I would like to see our club progress. Look over the hill to the dark side and see the state Leigh are in thanks to their millionaire. Cast your mind back to the fake sheik and remember how that ended. For me sustainable growth and running a good business is the way to progress. If by doing that we have reached the limit of our potential then so be it.

....with no strings attached! Someone who could throw money at the club and money is no object, who has an interest in the club, not just for financial gain and without the present structure or even with the present structure, unfortunately we can’t compete with the Toronto’s of the world because we can’t complete financially. I remember the Faisal era very well, unfortunately he had strings attached, Mark Campbell has an interest in the club, but without sounding disrespected, not enough money in his bank account, even Beaumont, who apparently is Leigh through and through struggled to keep up financially, obviously the same would happen to Fev if we were in that position, we need a consistent fan base which we’ll never get, like to see how many Leigh bring, probably more flags than supporters unfortunately.....

Archived