Eric Fitzsimons R.I.P

roughyed34

I always got on really well with Fitz. Very sorry to hear of his death.

Oldham RU had done a lot to make him welcome in his last few years when he had dementia. 

A great servant to both codes of rugby and to Oldham schools RL (Failsworth school in particular).

Will be sadly missed.

I was just reading the Obituary to Eric on the Roughyeds site and reading the team he coached to the final, there were FIVE international in the team. 

I remember going watching the A Team one Saturday afternoon around 1980, and Eric was playing on the wing. He had a field day with the ball, but his kicking was amazing. He kicked them from all over the pitch. 

What a great bloke Eric was. He was my sports teacher at Breezehill. Went on tour to Belgium with the town team with him and Syd Jolley (Round ball) and had rugby connections at Salford, Oldham and Oldham Rugby Union. So much respect for the man. 

On 6/2/2018 at 6:50 PM, clifford said:

I'm in a state of shock, when I was 17 Eric played in the third team at Oldham RUFC  with Phil Larder and Cortky. 

RIP Eric

A few other 'big' names had games in that team in that era, Terry Flanagan, Peter Tonks, Mick Burke, Paul Round... I think Tim Street got a game once too (While on a RL ban...)...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

7 minutes ago, clifford said:

Yep, Id left rugby onion by then by taking rugby leagues coin. A couple of my mates played with them. 

They took a more practical approach to the ban on League players at Oldham in those days!  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived