History of Oldham Amateur District League

clifford

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one of the modern day problems as in most sports, is money talks.

There are thousands of kids playing RL in Oldham every weekend, the fact of the matter is the bigger clubs can offer money and a proper pro set up with the incentive to play SL rugby, unfortunately Oldham can offer pretty much neither of the mentioned incentives.Im really hoping Oldham can make it to the championship but until the club finds itself a decent investor promotion would only be sealing over the cracks, without ££££ the club cannot even afford or is able to build its own stadium, and so must make do with 'renting' a tiny 'stadium'..

This isn;t meant to be doomsville, but i think we should all remain realistic, the club will tread water in either championship or championship 1 moving forward, unless serious investment is found from somwhere,somehow then its im;possbile to see any return to the top tier for the club or fans.

All that said, i'd be so happy if the club is back in the championship next season. :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/23/2018 at 9:04 PM, clifford said:

Spud it says that he/she doesn't like Oldham 97 and Chris Hamilton 

He/she feels young Oldham lads do not want to play for Oldham. 

This may or may not be true but Oldham lads cannot go to Oldham at a young age because there is no academy 

Oldham kids don’t have a issue just don’t get asked Oldham rugby don’t have scouts or people watching local lads

The lads you mention above I bet they went through salford or Leigh youth systems 

6 years coaching Oldham rugby has Scott Naylor ever been to a local club on a Sunday morning 

8 hours ago, Little no it all said:

Oldham kids don’t have a issue just don’t get asked Oldham rugby don’t have scouts or people watching local lads

The lads you mention above I bet they went through salford or Leigh youth systems 

6 years coaching Oldham rugby has Scott Naylor ever been to a local club on a Sunday morning 

I was wondering when you would wake up

• 3 weeks later...

As Clifford alludes to, the point is SL pick the crop of local talent from all over including Oldham, young lads are picked from amateur clubs and watched from a young age and injected into this system. Below SL academies in the main (few lower clubs excepted) there is no opportunity for these or other lads to play in a setup that leads to a first team appearance.

The old pathway of colts, A team, first team is pretty much dead at lower league level. That's the way it is, there is not much point in Oldham trying to compete in the market for local talent at the moment , not because the players are not good enough or Oldham wouldn't want them,but because the system of not having mandatory A team/reserves/under 20s/under 18s is not in place across all of Rugby League's pro divisions.

If the club/RFL were to reintroduce the U20's competition I wager you would see more local lads in that side, you simply can't pull a kid out of an amateur setup at 16/17/18 and expect them to just waltz into semi pro rugby or higher (it happens occasionally but not that often). They need a starting point. The way the game is structured under first teams at the moment means only a certain few sides can offer that opportunity.

I would love to see a reserve side at Oldham full of local lads trying to earn their spurs,it's worked before with our brilliant last crop of u20s that made the step up and it would surely work again.

Until the reserve grade is made compulsory ,Oldham amongst other clubs will struggle to get the local boys in.

Doesn't matter how much Oldham do or do not watch local talent, the fact remains that the SL clubs will always be a bigger draw. 

Maybe Little no it all can go to the amateur games and send his recommendations in to Scott and Pete on the back of a postcard,sure they will be grateful of the scouting reports he will provide. ?

Even if a scout sees player A, and he thinks that he is worth a trial or contract. If the head coach does not see player A fitting into his systems then player A won't get picked up. 

The systems that St Annes, Waterhead and Saddleworth have are excellent, but Mayfield have the best because Matt Calland runs Hopwood Hall academy which he is able to pick off some of the better talent 

• 1 year later...

I helped start a team back in the early 1960s. We called ourselves the Ravens because we played on a pitch at the back of the Raven Mill in Chadderton. At first we were all members of the South Chadderton Methodist Church. In our first year we won the Sportsmanship Trophy. In our second year we gained promotion from the second to the first division. After that I lost touch.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived