Dear Diary

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first Boeing 777 is being retired to a museum.

I can remember being fascinated with the design and functionality aroung this during its creation and testing, including the fight to get it approved for cross-Atlantic flights due to only having two engines.  And, yes, it being retired does make me feel old...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

I just got my holiday Euros at £1:€1.1064 from Sainsbury's.

Could of got €1.11 at FairFx...  every penny (cent) helps!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

5 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Could of got €1.11 at FairFx...  every penny (cent) helps!

I also got 160 nectar points and I was there anyway :)

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, ckn said:

I also got 160 nectar points and I was there anyway :)

Spend that 80p voucher wisely ?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

5 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Spend that 80p voucher wisely ?

I was in the Post Office first sending some stuff off and their "Daily Special" was £1:€1.046.  This was way off the rates I'd seen elsewhere.  They offered to "price match" but wouldn't go beyond €1.08.  I was going to Sainsbury's anyway so I politely declined.

I'm a bit of a paranoid sod at heart when it comes to money, I don't know FairFx therefore it'd have to be a far better bargain for me to go with them and then have to wait on the postie delivering it.  For the sake of a couple of £, I'll go with what's convenient for me.

1 minute ago, ckn said:

I was in the Post Office first sending some stuff off and their "Daily Special" was £1:€1.046.  This was way off the rates I'd seen elsewhere.  They offered to "price match" but wouldn't go beyond €1.08.  I was going to Sainsbury's anyway so I politely declined.

I'm a bit of a paranoid sod at heart when it comes to money, I don't know FairFx therefore it'd have to be a far better bargain for me to go with them and then have to wait on the postie delivering it.  For the sake of a couple of £, I'll go with what's convenient for me.

Used them for a long time, to load cash onto a debit card.  Generally they 2-3 cents (US $) below the market rate, which is usually quite a few cents better than other places.  Works for me, might not be as convenient for others.  

Have a look at what the airport rate is, then every rate is good compared!

Just now, Bedford Roughyed said:

Used them for a long time, to load cash onto a debit card.  Generally they 2-3 cents (US $) below the market rate, which is usually quite a few cents better than other places.  Works for me, might not be as convenient for others.  

Have a look at what the airport rate is, then every rate is good compared!

Airport rates include an extra ridicule fee where you can feel everyone snigger at you as they walk past.

My dad has just, unprompted, bought me and him each an early bird ticket to next May's FA Women's Cup Final.

I'm trying to think of a useful comparison here. He's not so much derided women's sport all his life as just not even bothered looking in its direction. It's like Will Carling turning up without fanfare at the Challenge Cup final wearing a Castleford cap.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, ckn said:

Airport rates include an extra ridicule fee where you can feel everyone snigger at you as they walk past.

Thing is you can easily pre-order online at okay rates for pickup at airports. That’s what I isually do anyway when going to one of the counters. Would never just purchase there

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Thing is you can easily pre-order online at okay rates for pickup at airports. That’s what I isually do anyway when going to one of the counters. Would never just purchase there

According to a mate of mine who went through Gatwick last week, there's a few offering way under £1:€1 for the walk-up rate.

11 minutes ago, DavidM said:

My diary says ... it’s my birthday . Hurrah !

Is it actually your birthday or are you looking at the wrong day ;)

Assuming the former, happy birthday!

1 hour ago, ckn said:

I'm even happier now with my decision to just get my currency bought :)

Grrrrrrrrr!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

4 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

At the weekend I rearranged today's work diary. So instead of working today I'm going surfing! ? ? 

Today
No work
Surf forecast looking good ?
Car packed
96 mile drive to the coast
NO SURF! ?
96 mile drive back home

Oh well, maybe next time... 

Did have a nice walk along the coast path though ? 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

22 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

I was on TV in Japan today. In Shibuya, i was asked lots of questions about food and drink etc. I wasnt 'passionate' enough to win a free night out and follow up tv slot though. Pah

On your follow-up, I'd assume you'll make sure you use your new-found fame to denounce the "weaker" rugby and encourage them to follow the true path of rugby league before they sell their souls at next year's world cup.

?

On 9/19/2018 at 3:40 PM, ckn said:

FairFX are really good, always give good rates and you can use their cards just like a debit card. Topping up the card is quick and easy, even in Greece. ?

Just got back from Rhodes and the FairFX card was invaluable (or maybe valuable until it was running out of money).

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I’ve just been thinking I’ve had a good year so far.

I have taken up kayaking, fishing and disc golf. All three keep me in the outdoors.

I love taking photos while out on the 6.64 square kilometre lake in the centre of Canberra. It’s really beautiful out there and I have been paddling all through winter also.

The disc golf has surprised me. It’s just like ball golf but with a small frisbee that is thrown into a basket. There are drivers, putters etc. The discs all have different flying qualities and you pick and choose a specific disc to match each specific throw.

Archived