Dear Diary

We were discussing currency exchange rates earlier in this thread. Here’s the Gatwick walk-up rate for Euros today:

54D1AB33-A184-4DE8-A8A5-5F32B943EE9D.jpeg

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/5/2018 at 3:41 PM, ckn said:

"I'm off now so don't disturb me" email sent, out-of-office set, work machine closed down.  Aaaand on holiday until 22nd October :)

Leaving tomorrow for sunny Italy for two weeks.

I hear John Drake has been practicing his "oh for f***'s sake" responses for the time I'm away as he'll now have to dig into the political threads again :D

The whole forum collapsed without you.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

If you're wondering where Jacob Rees-Mogg is, he's here in Sorrento, Italy, playing Piano for my dinner event.

IMG_3965.jpg

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Dear Diary

Why oh why have I got hay fever in the middle of October.

Yours

Mr. P Doff

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Today is a day off sitting on the hotel terrace overlooking the Bay of Naples reading books. The weather is nicely warm with some cloud rather than the previous few days of unbroken sun and the predicted unbroken sun from tomorrow through the rest of next week. 

I hear you’re due some light weather this weekend back in the UK. 

50 minutes ago, ckn said:

Today is a day off sitting on the hotel terrace overlooking the Bay of Naples reading books. The weather is nicely warm with some cloud rather than the previous few days of unbroken sun and the predicted unbroken sun from tomorrow through the rest of next week. 

Why couldn't you have gone to Florida instead, then I wouldn't have to dislike you so much.

10 hours ago, ckn said:

david-bradley-also-known-as-dai-bradley-the-star-of-kes-12-by-8-2680-p.jpg

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

36 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

It was my mums funeral yesterday. I honestly can't remember drinking so much in my life, I ended up like Roland from the Fast Show. Guinness and whiskey is great at the time but man I'm suffering now.
I'm sworn off drinking until at least tonight.

My Father passed away last year, at his funeral oe of the readings was the Irish blessing 

May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind be always at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face;

the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,

may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

chosen by his wife, despite the nearest to an Irish connection to the family being my cousin who is a Marine Biologist working for the Government in NI and my brother who did a tour of Belfast with the Paras.

My brother, sister and I all found it funny that she'd chosen the same lines John Lydon adapted for "Rise" by Public Image Limited. Johnny Rotten lines at his funeral, just to annoy him one last time.

Day out to Pompeii today. 30 minute train ride €2.40. Puts the British train prices into stark contrast  

I’ll post some pics of Pompeii on the photo thread when I get back. 

I met a Wigan fan today in Sorrento wearing his Wigan shirt. Seriously unhappy chap as he booked his holiday thinking Wigan wouldn’t get to the final and he also just found out that he could have watched the game on his iPad. He was even more gutted to find out that I’d watched it. He then said that he’d forgotten to put it on record at home. 

Poor chap. His wife was also in the process of bankrupting him at every designer clothes, handbag and shoe shop in the town. 

:D 

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

I met a Wigan fan today in Sorrento wearing his Wigan shirt. Seriously unhappy chap as he booked his holiday thinking Wigan wouldn’t get to the final and he also just found out that he could have watched the game on his iPad. He was even more gutted to find out that I’d watched it. He then said that he’d forgotten to put it on record at home. 

Poor chap. His wife was also in the process of bankrupting him at every designer clothes, handbag and shoe shop in the town. 

But other than that he’s having the time of his life 

9 minutes ago, ckn said:

King Midas in reverse.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Once saw a family of four plus dog riding a Piaggio motor scooter down the road in Sorrento, to be followed shortly after by two blokes on one carrying a extending ladder, caused mayhem with the traffic in the narrow streets.

On 10/10/2018 at 10:01 PM, ckn said:

If you're wondering where Jacob Rees-Mogg is, he's here in Sorrento, Italy, playing Piano for my dinner event.

He has been replaced by a fruit juice machine for the rest of the time. 

D235583F-8EA7-4685-BA95-2929F1C2E8FA.jpeg

Fitting really...

3 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Once saw a family of four plus dog riding a Piaggio motor scooter down the road in Sorrento, to be followed shortly after by two blokes on one carrying a extending ladder, caused mayhem with the traffic in the narrow streets.

This Greek guy was told to take steps about his driving.

PAJ_7262-X2.jpg

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The sister-in-law and step-daughter finally went home on Tuesday. I survived, and I didn't have to resort to ckn's cruel and unusual punishment tactics. No animals (human or otherwise) were harmed during the course of the last fortnight. Phew!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

25 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

The sister-in-law and step-daughter finally went home on Tuesday. I survived, and I didn't have to resort to ckn's cruel and unusual punishment tactics. No animals (human or otherwise) were harmed during the course of the last fortnight. Phew!

Sigh, shrug shoulders, settle down, open ouzo...

...Later...

...Giggle at nothing in particular.

Today is a perfect day to come home. They’re putting up the Christmas decorations in the main street here in Sorrento and there’s a Christmas shop that opened yesterday. 

Silly people...

Sitting on the hotel terrace overlooking the Bay of Naples enjoying my last morning of peace reading my book and I’ve come to the conclusion that 14 days is a perfect holiday time. You get through everything you want at your pace and then in the last day or so start to recognise that, yep, time to go home and be content with it. 

10 days means your holiday ends with you still wanting more. 7 days rushes things. More than 14 days would be over-stretched. 

Archived