Dear Diary

14 minutes ago, ckn said:

New boiler needed.  The current one is 25 years old and finally given up the ghost.  We took the thing apart and tested the lot, the fan inside it is knackered, that'd cost £190+ installation alone (manufacturer price, I was listening to the price when he was talking to the manufacturer's parts team).  Also, as he was taking it apart, everything plastic in it had degraded to the point that a lot of it broke on simple touch, even the base of it that was thick plastic was snapping at single finger pressure.  I decided that it was time for a new boiler as once you start fiddling with old and knackered electrical kit that it starts to fail more often.

There's some money gone that I'd rather have kept in the bank.

Quotes all in.  I got five.  All excluding VAT

£1750, £2100, £2500, £3900, £5500.

All for the same chosen replacement boiler, same work, same system.  And the £1750 one is done by someone where I've had personal recommendations over their quality of work.  Easy decision there then.

The £5500 quote seemed to assume I wanted every part of my water system replaced given the items in it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, ckn said:

All for the same chosen replacement boiler, same work, same system.  And the £1750 one is done by someone where I've had personal recommendations over their quality of work.  Easy decision there then.

The £5500 quote seemed to assume I wanted every part of my water system replaced given the items in it.

Perfectly highlighting the benefits of shopping around and taking references (either though word of mouth or otherwise). It's quite clear that quotes don't necessarily reflect the quality of work, but more often the willingness of the contractor to take on the work.

It is the sort of thing that I fear the oldest generation spend incredible amounts of money on unnecessarily.

19 hours ago, ckn said:

I just had ours replaced in the autumn. The plumber insisted on replacing all the valves on the radiators in the house. I can understand why he did that.You can control this boiler with your iPhone, another gimmick really but you've no choice, that's how it comes. It took me ages to find out how it works because it came with no instructions and even the plumber wasn't sure how it worked !

I had to call a pal out who's an IT expert to sort it !

I'm in the market for a new tumble drier as our " Bosch " just died after 15 + years use. I need an integrated condenser type drier. I think you have the choice of two. The one I fancy you can also control with your phone ! It's a shame the phone can't put the clothes in as well. Just another gimmick and more things to go wrong for no real gain.

Who  designs these bloody things ?

21 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Our dishwasher can connect to the Internet. If I catch it posting on here,   there'll be trouble!

You need to keep an eye on the sites it is connecting to. It could give a whole new meaning to 'washing your dirty laundry in public'. ☺

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

In my experience the fancier and more complicated appliances get just means that more can go wrong. Most new features I see are simply gimmicks that manufacturers use as a selling point but which really add little useful functionality to the appliance in question.

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

Our dishwasher can connect to the Internet. If I catch it posting on here,   there'll be trouble!

I already thought it was posting under your name, since about June 2016.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

16 minutes ago, Padge said:

I already thought it was posting under your name, since about June 2016.

We should test johnM to see if he's human?

JohnM what's your fave newspaper?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

13 minutes ago, Shadow said:

what you don't know is this is JohnMs dishwasher

Image result for washing up hot girl

Bah!

I hoped that we found out what happened to Chairman M. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

I’m disappointed to see the old habit of putting up pics of scantily clad ladies is still going on....and yet we only get one!

That reminds me of the butchers assistant who got the sack cos he kept putting his knob in the bacon slicer.....

Yes utterly disgusting scantily clad pics. I’m going to have to undergo a full investigation in detail which could take some time 

Our boiler is getting done today, the plumber pulled a sickie yesterday.  When isolating the heating circuit, I noticed that it also knocked out two plug sockets in the living room.  Whoever did the electrics when they built this house deserves to be run out of the business.

They're being observed today by an insurer's assessor who's there to do an annual assessment of the quality of their work on a random major job.  The assessor mentioned that the majority of the people who aren't customers refuse them permission to observe.  I'm happy for them to be there as it fairly guarantees that there won't be any shortcuts or shoddy work done!  I don't understand why people wouldn't be happy for an independent skilled person to be there making sure the work is done properly.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I’ve been waiting for a scan on my kidney functions which was flagged on my latest 6 monthly blood test... I’ve learnrd I must be in 31st to rehydrate for the scan on the 1st ... SL opening dates and test match so I need RVI to have strong WiFi 

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

I’ve been waiting for a scan on my kidney functions which was flagged on my latest 6 monthly blood test... I’ve learnrd I must be in 31st to rehydrate for the scan on the 1st ... SL opening dates and test match so I need RVI to have strong WiFi 

I'm sure the RVI's WiFi will be good.

Heraklion University Hospital has decent WiFi, but with an anomaly. I logged into TRL easily but, when I tried the Salford fans' forum, deviltalk, I got a message which said access was denied because it was a banned site.

Bloody Swinton fans! I blame Bleep.?

PS. Good luck with the scan.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

Good luck with that. Hope it all goes well.

28 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Happy Cumbria Day everyone 

I'll have a sausage and a pint of Jennings to celebrate, tho the Jennings's is probably brewed in Wolverhampton or Burton-upon-Trent now, Hawkshead Red will do instead.

3 hours ago, Clogiron said:

I'll have a sausage and a pint of Jennings to celebrate, tho the Jennings's is probably brewed in Wolverhampton or Burton-upon-Trent now, Hawkshead Red will do instead.

And a bit of Cartmel sticky pudding then some Kendal Mint Cake with the coffee to finish it off.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I typed a few articles today inbetween lots of meetings.  I just proof-read them and noticed that my system had auto-correctd "NHS community hubs" into "NHS community hugs".  I suppose the latter is a cheaper way to bring health system improvements but I don't think that'll go down well in the deprived parts of East London...

Archived