Dear Diary

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Long term readers will know that Little Ginger has not had the easiest life. Born far too early, he's had development issues all his life and was diagnosed autistic with multiple associated issues a few years ago. He now goes to a special school.

Five years ago, he was so worried about sports day that his anxiety caused his muscles to contract to such an extreme that he had to spend the day in A&E.

Today, after years of progress, he not only participated in sports day but voluntarily put himself forward for the biggest challenge they have: the 800m. This is open to anyone in the school. Little Ginger is 13 and has physical problems with running; some of the others are 18 and don't.

He ran it. He didn't stop. It didn't matter what position he finished in. He was cheered over the line and then, because of his commitment and determination, he was given the house award for resilience.

I'm not sure I've ever been prouder.

That's fantastic to read. Genuinely heartwarming.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at a good friend's 50th birthday party last year.  Today we received in the post an invite to his wedding this autumn.

He's almost 51, she's 21, he dumped his wife of 30 years last year for her.

Whatever happened to the "half your age, plus 7" rule?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

17 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Long term readers will know that Little Ginger has not had the easiest life. Born far too early, he's had development issues all his life and was diagnosed autistic with multiple associated issues a few years ago. He now goes to a special school.

Five years ago, he was so worried about sports day that his anxiety caused his muscles to contract to such an extreme that he had to spend the day in A&E.

Today, after years of progress, he not only participated in sports day but voluntarily put himself forward for the biggest challenge they have: the 800m. This is open to anyone in the school. Little Ginger is 13 and has physical problems with running; some of the others are 18 and don't.

He ran it. He didn't stop. It didn't matter what position he finished in. He was cheered over the line and then, because of his commitment and determination, he was given the house award for resilience.

Excellent news. Unless any of us have been closely involved with friends and family in similar situation, it's almost  impossible to appreciate the time, effort,  stress, sacrifices, money etc. involved. 

Thankfully,  despite the many differences between forum posters, I'm sure we are united in recognition of Little Ginger's (and yours) achievement. 

6 hours ago, JohnM said:

Excellent news. Unless any of us have been closely involved with friends and family in similar situation, it's almost  impossible to appreciate the time, effort,  stress, sacrifices, money etc. involved. 

Thankfully,  despite the many differences between forum posters, I'm sure we are united in recognition of Little Ginger's (and yours) achievement. 

Thanks John, the support of you and others is appreciated.

Now post something on politics so we can get back to normal.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, ckn said:

I was at a good friend's 50th birthday party last year.  Today we received in the post an invite to his wedding this autumn.

He's almost 51, she's 21, he dumped his wife of 30 years last year for her.

Whatever happened to the "half your age, plus 7" rule?

I am 42, the missus is 28. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

34 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Half your age, plus 7. Your papers are in order, you can go, sir. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Flexing ?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I am going to gamble here..

I am doing some house historical research, I am trying to find who lived in my flat/ house & my ex partners houses during the 1891/1901/1911 census's, or whenever.

I have tried findmypast.com, and ancestry.com (or .co.uk) but all they want to do is point me in the direction of family trees & my ancestors, and I have got confused about that in the 1880's. Local Library can't help because their microfilm database only goes to 1871, before the house were built, and don't help anyway.

I don't particularly want to pay fees that I haven't got (on UC), but I would like to present my ex with details for Christmas.

On 30/06/2019 at 08:23, bobbruce said:

That would depend how long they’ve been together. ?

We waited years to get engaged, to be sure I am not a cradle snatcher 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 19:42, Bob8 said:

We waited years to get engaged, to be sure I am not a cradle snatcher 

The mother of my daughter is 18 years younger than me, my current Kazakhstani friend is 24 years younger? 

Although I know she wants a visa for her "Brother", relax, I need the money. haha

On 27/06/2019 at 21:11, Bearman said:

I saw someone jogging along the road today. The runner was wearing a rucksack as though going to work.

Nothing unusual in that BUT,  the runner was wearing a full lion costume including a head and tail! 

So, yesterday I saw "it" again! This time it was passing my house. I haven't had a drink for a couple of weeks ( for a minute I wondered if THAT was the problem).

Just then my wife came out and confirmed my suspicions that I was not hallucinating.

I have posted on a Facebook page ( A Coventry Kid I am) to try and get the story but there has been no reaction. Both roads I spotted the jogger on are major routes in the city.  I wait with bated breath.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

On 27/06/2019 at 21:11, Bearman said:

I saw someone jogging along the road today. The runner was wearing a rucksack as though going to work.

Nothing unusual in that BUT,  the runner was wearing a full lion costume including a head and tail! 

2 hours ago, Bearman said:

So, yesterday I saw "it" again! This time it was passing my house. I haven't had a drink for a couple of weeks ( for a minute I wondered if THAT was the problem).

Just then my wife came out and confirmed my suspicions that I was not hallucinating.

I have posted on a Facebook page ( A Coventry Kid I am) to try and get the story but there has been no reaction. Both roads I spotted the jogger on are major routes in the city.  I wait with bated breath.

Perhaps it's connected to a pride event. ?

(Where's my coat?)

Quick update.

3 other people on the Facebook page have posted that they have seen him to. It's a relief to know that I am not getting mad(der).

Ron Banks

Just now, Bearman said:

Quick update.

3 other people on the Facebook page have posted that they have seen him to. It's a relief to know that I am not getting mad(der).

Three *other* people, eh?

How many Facebook log ins do you have?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 28/06/2019 at 20:46, gingerjon said:

Normally I'm not a fan of rewards just for competing. However I am very happy that Little Ginge was rewarded for his magnificent run. 

Well done Little Big Man! ?

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Last Friday I bumped into someone I have only seen once in the last 25 years. Today, Friday, I bumped into her best mate from 25 years ago who I haven't seen at all in that time. 

Tinder was not involved. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Mea Culpa.

In the Obituary thread on John McCirick I wrote the following

"In the 90's my quiz team won the Tetleys CIU national club competition. For winning a semifinal the prize was a silver service hospitality day at the Midlands Grand National at Uttoxeter. John McCirick was a guest speaker. He "marked" our cards with likely the winners. I completely ignored him and proceeded to select 5 out of the 6 winners. Well free beer all day and a wad in my pocket it was the best days racing I have ever had.

The prize for winning the quiz grand final was supposed to be a weekend for 4 + plus partners in Paris. When we went up to collect our prize,  the compere  who was Gary Newbon the ITV sport reporter said " sotto voce", that there was a problem with the prize. Instead of the trip to Paris we were each  given £500 in Hogg Robinson travel vouchers. It paid for me and my wife for a week holiday in Lake Garda."

-----------

There was a little bit more that is now overdue for telling after after 25 or so years ago!

I had a call from a mate of a team that wasn't very good.  He asked if I would like to join his team for the above competition on Sunday evening. The venue was a CIU club in Rugby.The quiz was hosted by Gary Newbon and we won what turned out to be a heat of the national competition. The prize was a slab of 24 cans of bitter per team member and a place in a regional semi final.

A few days later another mate from a team that was very good asked me if I wanted to be in a quiz in a club in Coventry on the Friday following. Imagine my surprise when the poster in the club, was advertising that it was part of a heat for "The Tetley National CIU club championship".  Exactly as the quiz on the previous Sunday had been. Including a Grand prize of a weekend in Paris for 4 winners plus their partners. Gary Newbon was not there that night but the questions were exactly as had been asked on the previous Sunday!

Of course,  we duly won and were presented with 4 cans each. I demonstrated that I knew for a fact that the prize should have been 24 cans. There were some sheepish looks from the fiddling committee but they were adamant that the prize was only 4 cans.

A few weeks later the East Midland regional semi final was held on the Friday. Gary Newbon in attendance. Unfortunately we only came second and were eliminated.

Come the following Sunday the West Midland regional semi was held in Coventry again hosted by Mr Newbon. ( at this point I was trying not to be recognised by him).

To our amazement once again the questions had been recycled from the East Midland semi on the previous Friday! Because we were not trying to draw attention ourselves we threw in a few wrong answers so that we didn't look too good, whilst at the same ensuring we did enough to win. 

That was when we found that we had won the trip to Uttoxeter for the Midlands Grand Final.

The Tetley Quiz final was to be held in the Churchill Hotel Birmingham.

You have guessed it the compere was G Newbon again.

In his opening remarks he stated that he had attended a lot of the heats and he knew that there were some good teams but there was one team that were exceptional!  That's what you think we all thought, little do you know!

The quiz started and unfortunately we had to compete on a level playing fielding without the benefit of the right answers!.

The scores were given out at the end of each round and we were in the mix. Going in to the last round we knew if that we had a good round we could win it.

In fact we had a perfect 10. As the results were to be announced. GN told us that it had been a really close thing. The team that had won had been the only side that had correctly answered the very last question of the night and that was the difference between winning and a possible play off round.

I am pleased to say that I was the only one that knew the answer. I cannot remember what the question was but I do remember the answer..........................Shaun Edwards!!!!.

After the prize ceremony we were photographed for the CIU journal. To our disgust we were alluded to as " Walsgrave Club national champion Quiz team" So those cheating committee men that stole our beer had a bit of reflected glory. Hanging is too good for them!!!  I can't stand cheats??

Ron Banks

Because we're off to the Flemish bit of Belgium a bit later in the year, I've decided to entertain myself by doing a Babbel course in Dutch. It's quite a fun break for fifteen or so minutes each day, and I'll no doubt forget everything the second I actually need to use the language in action.

This morning, I've just been firing up the 'time' section and now I hate everything and everyone.

Essentially, assuming Babbel aren't lying to me, this is how it works:

On the hour: One o'clock

Between 1.01 and 1.14: the number of minutes past ...

1.15: quarter past

Between 1.16 and 1.29: the number of minutes before the half hour

1.30: half to the next hour

Between 1.31 and 1.44: the number of minutes after the half hour to the next hour

1.45: quarter to the next hour

1.46 to 1.59: minutes to the next hour ...

Gits.

This week I caught up with a man who punched Farage in his youth. I did not listen to the details but words like “knocked out” were involved. 

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

This week I caught up with a man who punched Farage in his youth. I did not listen to the details but words like “knocked out” were involved. 

How is Shadow these days? ?

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Because we're off to the Flemish bit of Belgium a bit later in the year, I've decided to entertain myself by doing a Babbel course in Dutch. It's quite a fun break for fifteen or so minutes each day, and I'll no doubt forget everything the second I actually need to use the language in action.

This morning, I've just been firing up the 'time' section and now I hate everything and everyone.

Essentially, assuming Babbel aren't lying to me, this is how it works:

On the hour: One o'clock

Between 1.01 and 1.14: the number of minutes past ...

1.15: quarter past

Between 1.16 and 1.29: the number of minutes before the half hour

1.30: half to the next hour

Between 1.31 and 1.44: the number of minutes after the half hour to the next hour

1.45: quarter to the next hour

1.46 to 1.59: minutes to the next hour ...

Gits.

Your wasting your time. They would sooner you speak English so they can get on with their day and not spend it deciphering your torcherous attempts. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived