Dear Diary

Just now, JonM said:

Makes sense, as sweet oranges came from China originally.

Naranja in Spanish, Orange in French, Oren in Welsh.

Quick look on Wikipedia  which says that the word orange comes originally from Tamil, reaching Europe via Sanskrit, Persian & Arabic. And languages from different families round the Balkans (Turkish, Greek, Bulgarian, Albanian) call them by words that mean "Portugese" because merchants from there were the ones who brought them.

My understanding is that we have "an orange" in English because it was "a norange" and moved from there.

Or is that balls? I'd like it to be true.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

My understanding is that we have "an orange" in English because it was "a norange" and moved from there.

Or is that balls? I'd like it to be true.

True, it seems - and the same thing happened in French. Numpire, napron and nadder went in the other direction.

Flutterby turning into Butterfly seems not to be true though.

Greek has two words that I know of for orange (there may be others I haven't come across). The common one is (using english letters) portokali which is used for the sweet ones. The other is neranja which is for the Seville oranges. Πορτοκάλι and νεράντζα respectively. (spelling might be a bit iffy)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Fewer languages than I though, Wikipedia gives it a mention:

sinaasappel or appelsien, and sometimes German, Apfelsine, Swedish apelsin, and Danish and Norwegian appelsin,', and Icelandic appelsína', and Lithuanian apelsinas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_(fruit)#Etymology

As Portuguese merchants were presumably the first to introduce the sweet orange to some regions of Europe, in several modern Indo-European languages the fruit has been named after them. Some examples are Albanian portokall, Bulgarian портокал (portokal), Greek πορτοκάλι (portokali), Macedonian portokal, Persian پرتقال (porteghal), Turkish portakal and Romanian portocală.[32][33] Related names can be found in other languages, such as Arabic البرتقال (bourtouqal), Georgian ფორთოხალი (pʰortʰoxali) and Amharic birtukan.[32] Also, in some of the Italian regional languages (e.g. Neapolitan), an orange is portogallo or purtuallo, literally "(the) Portuguese (one)", in contrast to the Italian arancia.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 16/07/2019 at 17:53, Bob8 said:

Fewer languages than I though, Wikipedia gives it a mention:

sinaasappel or appelsien, and sometimes German, Apfelsine, Swedish apelsin, and Danish and Norwegian appelsin,', and Icelandic appelsína', and Lithuanian apelsinas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_(fruit)#Etymology

As Portuguese merchants were presumably the first to introduce the sweet orange to some regions of Europe, in several modern Indo-European languages the fruit has been named after them. Some examples are Albanian portokall, Bulgarian портокал (portokal), Greek πορτοκάλι (portokali), Macedonian portokal, Persian پرتقال (porteghal), Turkish portakal and Romanian portocală.[32][33] Related names can be found in other languages, such as Arabic البرتقال (bourtouqal), Georgian ფორთოხალი (pʰortʰoxali) and Amharic birtukan.[32] Also, in some of the Italian regional languages (e.g. Neapolitan), an orange is portogallo or purtuallo, literally "(the) Portuguese (one)", in contrast to the Italian arancia.

Dankjewel.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 hours ago, Spidey said:

Watching The Matrix at the cinema tonight. Never saw it on the big screen first time out but it was the first DVD I ever bought (before I had the player)

Did you just plug it into the back of your neck

I’m knackered...

Yesterday, 560 mile round trip to Scarborough for a family funeral. A decent event for a good guy and a chance to catch up with cousins I hadn’t seen in many years.

It would have been 540 miles except for a 20 mile detour for roadworks on the way back.  6am start, home just before midnight, I’m getting too old for that sort of driving day.

The rain on the way back was horrendous, down to about 20m visibility at times and aquaplaning at times but still the brain-dead idiots driving at 100mph as if it were a dry midsummer midday.  I’m fairly confident in my own driving in those conditions, my biggest risk was the terminally stupid others who think that the laws of physics don’t apply to them.

Duvet day today I think watching TV.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

6 minutes ago, ckn said:

I’m knackered...

Yesterday, 560 mile round trip to Scarborough for a family funeral. A decent event for a good guy and a chance to catch up with cousins I hadn’t seen in many years.

It would have been 540 miles except for a 20 mile detour for roadworks on the way back.  6am start, home just before midnight, I’m getting too old for that sort of driving day.

The rain on the way back was horrendous, down to about 20m visibility at times and aquaplaning at times but still the brain-dead idiots driving at 100mph as if it were a dry midsummer midday.  I’m fairly confident in my own driving in those conditions, my biggest risk was the terminally stupid others who think that the laws of physics don’t apply to them.

Get rested up today!...my first reaction to your post was that : "That is just a regular routine to go to any Wolfpack home game."  Too bad you didn't have some young kids in the car just to liven things up a bit. 

Drink coffee.

2 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Get rested up today!...my first reaction to your post was that : "That is just a regular routine to go to any Wolfpack home game."  Too bad you didn't have some young kids in the car just to liven things up a bit. 

Drink coffee.

I had a very drunk wife on the way back who was asleep before I turned on the engine.  Audiobook kept me going as usual on those journeys when I have to keep myself company.

I have a good friend who lives out BC these days, he used to be a Calgary native but moved on early retirement.  His “close neighbour” is six miles away and he sees them more often than he’d like

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, ckn said:

I had a very drunk wife on the way back who was asleep before I turned on the engine.  Audiobook kept me going as usual on those journeys when I have to keep myself company.

I have a good friend who lives out BC these days, he used to be a Calgary native but moved on early retirement.  His “close neighbour” is six miles away and he sees them more often than he’d like

Yes, indeed,  overcrowding is becoming a real problem in some parts of the world today.  If there is a power outage or emergency of some type it is sometimes good to have a neighbour so close though, but its not good to be 'crowded' in like steers in a paddock.

Classical music is nice on long highway night drives.

I've heard it said before that people over there don't know how to drive; one guy even tried to convince me once that folks even drive on the wrong side of the road over there {how crazy can the world get; as if anyone would believe such a thing}.

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Yes, indeed,  overcrowding is becoming a real problem in some parts of the world today.  If there is a power outage or emergency of some type it is sometimes good to have a neighbour so close though, but its not good to be 'crowded' in like steers in a paddock.

I've heard it said before that people over there don't know how to drive; one guy even tried to convince me once that folks even drive on the wrong side of the road over there {how crazy can the world get; as if anyone would believe such a thing}.

Funny foreign folk with their quaint ideas of what’s “right” when it comes to driving. 

Music or other things I can’t use the thinking parts of my brain on don’t keep me awake. An audiobook forces my brain to keep concentrating. 

Oh, and I did that 560 miles on a single tank of petrol. The car says 45 miles left of reserve. Bloody good going for a 13 year old petrol car. 

9 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

You can easily tell which of the road is correct. Just look at which way railway trains drive on.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

40 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Drink coffee.

I lived in CA, drove from by Sacramento down to LA in one shot and drove back the next day. It is easy driving. In the UK, I would not do the drive he did.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

You can easily tell which of the road is correct. Just look at which way railway trains drive on.

You mean there is more than one train track on the line?  Must be pretty crowded over there.

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Oh, and I did that 560 miles on a single tank of petrol. The car says 45 miles left of reserve. Bloody good going for a 13 year old petrol car. 

What are you driving; a moped?

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

I lived in CA, drove from by Sacramento down to LA in one shot and drove back the next day. It is easy driving. In the UK, I would not do the drive he did.

You west coast people are so soft.

Just now, Kayakman said:

Betcha she corners nice...you push her on the corners?

Nah, motorway cruising, mile munching car rather than boy racer car. 

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

Nah, motorway cruising, mile munching car rather than boy racer car. 

What speed do people cruise on the highway at over there>regular people?

33 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

What speed do people cruise on the highway at over there>regular people?

70mph

3 hours ago, ckn said:

I’m knackered...

Whilst I am unable to lay my hands on them currently, there are, I am sure, some pretty horrific stats on accidents spanning multiple driving episodes over 12 hours in the same day. It's the sort of data that insurance companies use to define high-risk motorists, such as DJs and musicians.

Glad you made it back in good fettle. 

Archived