Dear Diary

9 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Whilst I am unable to lay my hands on them currently, there are, I am sure, some pretty horrific stats on accidents spanning multiple driving episodes over 12 hours in the same day. It's the sort of data that insurance companies use to define high-risk motorists, such as DJs and musicians.

Glad you made it back in good fettle. 

Normally I’d never be that daft but I couldn’t get off work on Thursday and had to be in this morning. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Dutch for birthday card is verjaarsdagskaart and the Dutch for birthday cake is verjaardagstaart.

In case you're wondering why I'm learning it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Danish is fødselsdagskort and fødselsdagskage.  That is better as it has the letter ø. 

Also, Saints Fax is a class game so far. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 20/07/2019 at 11:30, ckn said:

I’m knackered...

Yesterday, 560 mile round trip to Scarborough for a family funeral. A decent event for a good guy and a chance to catch up with cousins I hadn’t seen in many years.

It would have been 540 miles except for a 20 mile detour for roadworks on the way back.  6am start, home just before midnight, I’m getting too old for that sort of driving day.

The rain on the way back was horrendous, down to about 20m visibility at times and aquaplaning at times but still the brain-dead idiots driving at 100mph as if it were a dry midsummer midday.  I’m fairly confident in my own driving in those conditions, my biggest risk was the terminally stupid others who think that the laws of physics don’t apply to them.

Duvet day today I think watching TV.

I spoke to my cousin tonight and he had a similar day, 400-ish miles though so a bit less.  I thought he was staying over so wasn’t paying attention but he’d had a few drinks, he said three pints and two whisky shots throughout the day.  He got pulled over for not great driving and breathalysed.  JUST under the breath alcohol limit, one point under the limit apparently.

For me, that’s just crazy and the sooner we adopt the Scottish drink driving rules the better where effectively one drink puts you over the limit, and you have to be brain-dead to have a drink in a day and drive.  It just makes it simple, you know that if you drink alcohol then you’re over the limit, no messing around with “how many units have I had in that pint and what does that mean for driving?”

For the avoidance of doubt for readers, I don’t drive these days if I’ve had a drink in the day.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I think I've broken my irony-o-meter

I have just received an unsolicited email offering me GDPR auditing services. 

Brilliant.

I once received information about a course titled something such as, "Social Skills In Action."

It was a correspondence course.

23 minutes ago, longboard said:

Brilliant.

I once received information about a course titled something such as, "Social Skills In Action."

It was a correspondence course.

I also regularly get emails in my Junk folder saying stuff like "improve your email marketing to boost sales"
The one that gets into my inbox without being slung straight to Junk I may consider answering.

Got fish & chips tonight on the way home. The chippie had a timer set that went “beepity beep, beepity beep” every so often and my brain filled in the Captain Pugwash theme. Now it thinks it’s fun to keep playing it all night. 

8 hours ago, Shadow said:

I also regularly get emails in my Junk folder saying stuff like "improve your email marketing to boost sales"
The one that gets into my inbox without being slung straight to Junk I may consider answering.

You mean the ones from the  Russian women looking for love? ?

On 27/07/2019 at 17:02, Bob8 said:

Danish is fødselsdagskort and fødselsdagskage.  That is better as it has the letter ø. 

Also, Saints Fax is a class game so far. 

Just read on the BBC website that cake is a Viking word that has been assimilated into the English language, among others.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2W5jzMw4DFDCvP3jsFKcgQJ/ways-you-talk-like-a-viking-every-day

12 hours ago, ckn said:

Got fish & chips tonight on the way home. The chippie had a timer set that went “beepity beep, beepity beep” every so often and my brain filled in the Captain Pugwash theme. Now it thinks it’s fun to keep playing it all night. 

7 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Just read on the BBC website that cake is a Viking word that has been assimilated into the English language, among others.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2W5jzMw4DFDCvP3jsFKcgQJ/ways-you-talk-like-a-viking-every-day

Danish does not really have the letter 'C' as a native letter, so hard C is represented as 'K'.

They Danes struggle to make a 'K' sound in the middle of a sound, so it tends to be a silent or very soft 'g'. Either way, it will be represented as a 'g'.

So the word Cake and Kage are not only related, they are essentially localised versions of the same word (see also Ale in England, yall in hull and oel Denmark).

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Danish does not really have the letter 'C' as a native letter, so hard C is represented as 'K'.

They Danes struggle to make a 'K' sound in the middle of a sound, so it tends to be a silent or very soft 'g'. Either way, it will be represented as a 'g'.

So the word Cake and Kage are not only related, they are essentially localised versions of the same word (see also Ale in England, yall in hull and oel Denmark).

Ahh, so it's true what they say about Jeremy Hunt then.

I’m rarely fussed by the targeted ads that get thrown at me as they’re usually better than the dross of stuff that’s not of any interest to me, but I’m really beginning to wonder what I’ve been reading given that I’m now getting targeted for Northrop Grumman adverts.

I suppose it could be radical solutions for healthcare, kill them properly in the first place and they won’t need any! It could even be a disruptive strategy for rugby offence as well. How to spend our Brexit dividend?

D845537E-74FB-46F4-896F-F93702583BF6.jpeg

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

I’m rarely fussed by the targeted ads that get thrown at me as they’re usually better than the dross of stuff that’s not of any interest to me, but I’m really beginning to wonder what I’ve been reading given that I’m now getting targeted for Northrop Grumman adverts.

I suppose it could be radical solutions for healthcare, kill them properly in the first place and they won’t need any! It could even be a disruptive strategy for rugby offence as well. How to spend our Brexit dividend?

D845537E-74FB-46F4-896F-F93702583BF6.jpeg

Do you have any hobbies, roles or passtimes that might make you feel muderous?

3 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Do you have any hobbies, roles or passtimes that might make you feel muderous?

“Computer says no” bureaucrats who insist on 30 page business cases for a few £k of investment but nod through 9 figure approvals because they dare not be seen as a blocker to the Brexit-esque levels of planning in some of the major changes that go on.

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

Besides moderating the Cross Code Forum

Tsk! I was trying to leave it hanging!

I’m now getting Lib Dem adverts encouraging me to join. To the CIA/NSA people monitoring my accounts, have I confused you enough?  I seem to have confused the advertising algorithms so good luck to you! 

6 minutes ago, ckn said:

I’m now getting Lib Dem adverts encouraging me to join. To the CIA/NSA people monitoring my accounts, have I confused you enough?  I seem to have confused the advertising algorithms so good luck to you! 

That's me and GJ sending them out to you. We get LD points for every one we recruit, redeemable against a hand carved etruscan muesli bowl, a pair of hand knitted Yak Hair socks with matching sandals or a lifetime subscription to the Grauniad. 

I wonder how many civil servants around the country are sat there with the last 5 yrs worth of rejected budget applications trying to see how they can reword/rework the requests to pretend they are Brexit no deal readiness requirements - just to unlock some of that £2bn

I know i would be if they ar enot going to be properly scrutinised

"In the event of no deal MRi scans might need to be used more if there is a shortage of radioactive isotopes causing issue with xrays etc- so please tick off this money for the refurb of the MRi suite" kind of thing

Today, I learnt that the Guernésiais for "sut mae" is "warro".

I like this word and intend to use it. 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A few days off for both of us, unusually so we can both do not a lot, see how long we last.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived