Dear Diary

A conversation just now with our young admin apprentice:

Her: "What does cc mean on emails?"

Me: "carbon copy"

Her: "what does that mean?"

The explanation that we used to have to put carbon sheets between typewriter pages to give others copies of documents didn't half make me feel old...

BCC was an even harder one "So you mean that you did the carbon thing then gave someone a physical copy and they had to pretend they hadn't received it?"

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just understood all of a Dutch language news report that was not about anything I'd heard about before.

I believe this makes me King of Holland.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

59 minutes ago, ckn said:

The explanation that we used to have to put carbon sheets between typewriter pages to give others copies of documents didn't half make me feel old...

BCC was an even harder one "So you mean that you did the carbon thing then gave someone a physical copy and they had to pretend they hadn't received it?"

Tell her to telex someone who cares 

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Does she know how to use the office fax machine?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

3 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

We don't have one!  Haven't for years now.  Faxes come into a digital solution we have that converts them to PDF and sends them by email to one of the admin staff.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

13 minutes ago, ckn said:

We don't have one!  Haven't for years now.  Faxes come into a digital solution we have that converts them to PDF and sends them by email to one of the admin staff.

Thanks. I kind of knew that. About 5 years ago, I was struck by the thought that fax machines had come and gone in about 20 to 30 years. Technology moves apace.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Is this a hospital?

Previous job we had to keep our office fax machine going solely because too many NHS hospitals had emails for staff that didn't allow attachments and so the only way they could order anything was by fax.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

58 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Is this a hospital?

Previous job we had to keep our office fax machine going solely because too many NHS hospitals had emails for staff that didn't allow attachments and so the only way they could order anything was by fax.

No, our area has moved to replace the fax as a tool of communication quite effectively.

The email thing is something that frustrates a lot of people. The NHS Mail system is very good and allows quite large mailboxes these days but some hospitals’ IT directors have egos bigger than the hospital themselves and didn’t like having to give up their vanity email addresses (e.g. user@hospitalname.nhs.net rather than user@nhs.net). They then had to pay for their own email systems and that’s damnably expensive at scale, especially the storage so many users had tiny mailboxes.  NHS Mail now allows hospitals to keep their vanity addresses so there is literally no excuse for hospitals having anything other than 4GB mailboxes for every user.

On faxes in hospitals, some idiot ones still insist that faxes are used for referrals because they think it’s more secure.  Idiot people.  NHS Mail is guaranteed secure when transferring emails within the NHS.net infrastructure, it’s almost foolproof secure as the mail doesn’t go out onto the public internet at any time when sending NHS to NHS.

Dear diary, what a day its been, dear diary, woke up from a dream.... They are combining the barley field at the end of our garden..using a New Holland TX66. The 66 refers to its width (and height and length) of what seems to be 66 metres. 66dBA it is not. 

On 20/08/2019 at 18:02, ckn said:

That you took the question seriously does show you had been working in the NHS

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

When I quit my job after twenty-odd years, to do some fun stuff for a year or two, I had to fill out an "exit survey". One of the questions was "How could the induction process have been improved." My "induction" was basically being shown how to use the fax machine and given a datasheet to read. Today, it consists of several days worth of mandatory online training, IT and HR drop-in sessions, a 2-day offsite event...

Anyway, the fax machine was invented by a Scotsman, Alexander Bain, who got a patent in the 1840s. Germany used them in WWI to send maps and photos.

Whoops, sorry. I had to post my time sheet off to the Agency when I was working in the NHS-ish, or I could ask one of the admin staff to show me how to use a fax machine, again & again & again, the Agency had to have it by Tuesday to pay me by Friday, because of my technological defects re-fax, I was usually paid 1 week later as I was useless at office work.

Sadly I am now applying for admin work.

not unsurprising, I have just found out the last NHS Hospital I worked for (Conquest Hospital, East Sussex NHST) still uses Faxes, because the director of surgery, based in Eastbourne, doesn't trust emails, so any communication is done by fax.

My previous GP surgery does not have an email address, while my current one will only accept appointment requests through email. if you are without internet access, like I have been for three weeks, you're dead. Emergency, daily, appointments are only accessible if you turn up at 8am, so if, like my neighbour you have a swollen ankle/foot & have trouble getting yourself organised you are stuffed.

Actually, he is. He has been given 18 months to live because of Prostate, Liver & Lung cancer. Please get yourself checked out. Prostate or Ovary/Breast

My evening:

Promise to watch bank holiday movies with the wife. 

She falls asleep while watching some rubbish  

I watch back to back:

Avengers Endgame 

Zulu 

Predator. 

Now off to bed with Men of Harlech ringing in my head and happy with a bank holiday well spent. 

Saw a very strange natural happening on the beach at St Leonards last night. Just at the very cusp of dusk, some dark shadows appeared in the sea moving towards the beach, they were probably about 25m wide, dividing and regathering, then as they got to 10m away from the beach it looked as though the sea was starting to boil, and we then saw fish jumping out of the sea, then we saw whitebait coming out of the sea and jumping onto the sand. At this point we noticed the splashing around in the shallows were mackerel, feeding on the whitebait, and the rest trying to get away from them. This went on for about 15 minutes, and then just stopped. All the kids that were still on the beach ran down to the sea edge and tried to throw the grounded fish back, but the fish die within 5 seconds, and there were so many of them. The adults came down with plastic bags and collected the dead fish, and took them home for dinner today.

I did some research on the net, and this happens most years, about the same date, at high tide at various parts of the south-coast. Interestingly enough, I also read that soon after the mackerel feed on Whitebait, Dolphins use the same technique to catch the Mackerel

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 08:15, gingerjon said:

The Dutch for birthday card is verjaarsdagskaart

Break the long word down: Ver Your, Jaar Year, Dags Days, Kaart Card. Youryearsdayscard. I understand, maybe because I've been there, and when I was in Crete I drank in a Dutch bar, and even helped out, front of house, and behind the bar for a couple of hours while I was on holiday back in June 2004.

Taart is cake, that much is obvious.

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 15:29, ckn said:

That has made my day ?

(About a week late replying though)

I was walking home from a "Meeting" last night, down Church Road, and I was contemplating what we spoke about, and I looked up and saw a badger, less than 10m away from me looking terrified, he/she ran back into the garden it had come from, I stood stock still, trying not to scare it. It poked it's head around the gatepost, and saw I was still there, and went running off back through the garden making a hell of a noise. I crossed over the road, walked down a bit and stood there in silence, a couple of seconds later it came out of the garden again, looked up and down the road, saw me standing there, and froze. I thought I had scared it again, but it just looked at me, and seemed to nod, and trotted off up Church Road, then a car started coming down the road, and I went into a panic, and thought "Please don't cross over now", which it did, just as the car did a right turn and avoided it. I breathed a sigh of relief like I haven't done for nearly 11 years.

I've just purchased this fine piece of equipment to kill the flies that keep coming in from the fields. The problem with living in the countryside is that any open window and a bit of wind is an invitation for flies to come in. I'm fed up of it.  15 years in this house and I've had enough of the flies.

The main reason people seem to give it 4* instead of 5* is that it makes quite a sound when it fries a fly. I will gladly celebrate every time I hear it go off.

I had to evict a spider from the house last week that wasn't pulling its weight in stopping the flying beasties. If they want to live here rent free then they pay in labour or get booted out. The pic below was it in a pint glass, the Suffolk spiders can get a bit big, it's probably us living with two nuclear power plants 30 miles each way of us.

image.png

38 minutes ago, ckn said:

I've just purchased this fine piece of equipment to kill the flies that keep coming in from the fields. The problem with living in the countryside is that any open window and a bit of wind is an invitation for flies to come in. I'm fed up of it.  15 years in this house and I've had enough of the flies.

The main reason people seem to give it 4* instead of 5* is that it makes quite a sound when it fries a fly. I will gladly celebrate every time I hear it go off.

I had to evict a spider from the house last week that wasn't pulling its weight in stopping the flying beasties. If they want to live here rent free then they pay in labour or get booted out. The pic below was it in a pint glass, the Suffolk spiders can get a bit big, it's probably us living with two nuclear power plants 30 miles each way of us.

As an arachnophobe, I don't appreciate the picture.

Archived