Dear Diary

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Apologies I had no idea you had Yorkshire blood. 

Lancastrian actually.

Grandmother on my father's side was from Chorley. According to Wikipedia 8.1 miles north of Wigan.

I feel I've had  a lucky escape. 

Laughed at myself for my denseness over an advert. Some kid complaining that her mum and dad worked lots. OK, they are working in batches, areas of ground, something along those lines. Hours later, my light went on. She meant a lot.

I should do it more, realise I have many dense moments and just laugh about it.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

We're getting our fence replaced today, finally had enough of the old one.  It's currently wooden post secured and in the 15 years we've been here we've replaced every single one at least once and many twice, plus running repairs on the fence itself.  The field to the side of us acts as a wind tunnel that breaks even the most solid of wooden posts over the years.

I don't like the environmentally negative impacts of concrete posts but we're fed up now and have decided it's better to get it done once now for life rather than continually replacing wooden ones. It's also far cheaper spending £1000 now rather than £300-£400 a year on repairs.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, ckn said:

We're getting our fence replaced today, finally had enough of the old one.  It's currently wooden post secured and in the 15 years we've been here we've replaced every single one at least once and many twice, plus running repairs on the fence itself.  The field to the side of us acts as a wind tunnel that breaks even the most solid of wooden posts over the years.

I don't like the environmentally negative impacts of concrete posts but we're fed up now and have decided it's better to get it done once now for life rather than continually replacing wooden ones. It's also far cheaper spending £1000 now rather than £300-£400 a year on repairs.

Get Mexico to pay

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

Get Mexico to pay

Hmmm, maybe an invoice to the local church instead. After all, strong winds are an act of God, aren't they? Probably too much fibre in his food.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 hours ago, ckn said:

Concrete posts, 5m high wire fence, barbed wire around the top, that should keep you in, and not bothering society (This doesn't count).

5 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Concrete posts, 5m high wire fence, barbed wire around the top, that should keep you in, and not bothering society (This doesn't count).

Standard 2m wooden fence and a threat of seeing me walking around naked should keep most people out. ?

On 07/10/2019 at 11:21, ckn said:

image.png

I'll send the cheque for £3.25 if you send me the postage in advance. £5 postage and £25 admin charge.

I saw the news that someone won and wondered if my ticket had won it. I then saw the email "you've won" (paraphrased) and raised an eyebrow:

image.png

At £2.50 a ticket, I'm out £2.50 so far and up £12.30.

Is this how people get hooked on gambling? Minor wins then chasing bigger ones?

I'll just use up that cash one ticket at a time until my account is empty then probably not put more back in. It's not that I'm "stronger" than others, I've just seen the disastrous effects on others of full-blown gambling addictions and I won't get caught with it.

At Gatwick this afternoon heading off on holiday, we got talking to this late 40s large American chap from Houston. His first time outside the US, here for a week’s holiday. We were asking him how he enjoyed London, he said he didn’t like it as everyone was quite rude.  He then said unprompted that he’d done everything his friends said, namely speak loudly and tell everyone he was Texan and then he could expect to get special treatment. ? ? 

He really couldn’t work out why were were laughing and started to take a bit of offence at it.  We calmed him down and told him that he really needs to have a word with his friends who probably ruined his holiday for him. I think they’re in for a word or three when he gets home.

Today I’m sat on the main pedestrianised road in Sorrento with my book and refills of coffee, mixed in with people watching. 

I do like Italian women... although I think they’re like fine art. Great to look at but far too expensive to “own”. 

12 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I think I might actually be turning into a goose. As I was leaving work today a load of them were flying over and without even thinking I punched the air and shouted, "solidarity brothers!"

My coworkers were rather confused........ 

Feel sorry for your flightless cow-orkers, then soar off into abusing anyone who comes near you. 

On 16/10/2019 at 10:19, ckn said:

Today I’m sat on the main pedestrianised road in Sorrento with my book and refills of coffee, mixed in with people watching. 

I do like Italian women... although I think they’re like fine art. Great to look at but far too expensive to “own”. 

Travelling alone are you? 

10 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Travelling alone are you? 

We went to a classical music thing on Wednesday and the wife got very flirty with one of the singers after he dragged her up to dance during one song. I told her bluntly that she could have him on the condition I get Vittoria on reception here at the hotel. 

I’m not sure what’d be a bigger challenge, my current Indian wife or an Italian mistress. 

Cracking performance though, we had front row seats.

They also did the classics of “Elephants Yeah!” and “just one Cornetto”. 

My wife thankfully didn’t murder me. 

Archived