Dear Diary

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel shell-shocked right now. I just checked my email for the first time today and one particular email has just sent me into a state of total disbelief. 

I have mentioned before on here that I lived in Germany years ago and shared a flat with a German bloke called Ben. When I moved back here, he visited once and that was the last time I saw him. A few emails were exchanged over a few months after that and we basically drifted apart and stopped talking as you sometimes do with distant friends. 

I can't remember exactly how long but it has been years since we contacted each other and today I have received a random email completely out of the blue from my old friend. I can't stop smiling, I just can't believe it. He mentions in the email that he still wears the Hull FC shirt I bought him when he was here and had his name put on the back when we went to the KCOM to watch Leeds put something like 50 points on us. He says he is inviting me to move back to Germany and move in with him again, obviously after the global pandemic is over. 

This is just all so surreal, I'm finding it hard to process this information. Anyway, I just thought I'd share this thing that has made me so happy! 😊

Sausage fest?

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

My next door neighbour is dying with 3 types of cancer, he was admitted to the Conquest Hospital on the 1st of the month after vomiting blood, he is apparently being released today back to his flat. But the care team do not have any notice, or have anyone available to care for him. I think I will have to step up to the plate again. He is a nice Irish guy, who used to buy & sell books, born in 1939. He gave my daughter a copy of a 1901 first edition of J M Barries play Quality Street, which is signed as 71/1000 by the illustrator (J M Barrie wrote Peter Pan, the play Quality Street is what the sweets are based on).

I Care for him, I call in to him daily, but I wonder how far my care can go, as I have been served a section21 under the housing act, I want to care for him, he is a nice bloke, but I I worried that the care team are not taking his requirements totally in hand.

and I have just had a phone call to tell me he will be back home by 1300. I am happy, he is a nice guy

I noticed the car was making some strange noises, almost like it was misfiring and struggling a bit. Then my brain remembered something I covered in driver training in the army, that petrol goes off quite quickly. The last time I filled my car was March. It was down to around 1/4 tank so I stuck in £20 worth and it was instantly better. That’s it to just shy of 1/2 a tank. I’ll run that down then top up £10 a go if I’m going to keep doing so few miles.

Strange things that this new world brings us...

Pre-COVID, I was doing 400+ miles a week, filling up every 450-500 miles. I’ve barely done 300 miles in five months.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

9 hours ago, ckn said:

I noticed the car was making some strange noises, almost like it was misfiring and struggling a bit. Then my brain remembered something I covered in driver training in the army, that petrol goes off quite quickly. The last time I filled my car was March. It was down to around 1/4 tank so I stuck in £20 worth and it was instantly better. That’s it to just shy of 1/2 a tank. I’ll run that down then top up £10 a go if I’m going to keep doing so few miles.

Pre-COVID, I was doing 400+ miles a week, filling up every 450-500 miles. I’ve barely done 300 miles in five months.

modern petrol more so - it is to do with the ethanol element now added. Motorcyclist are very aware of it as a lot lay up bikes over winter. 

I am suffering with a very very stressed 18 yo worried about ALevel results. Her school do 2 sets of mocks, one early doors and another in late March  they only did the early ones where they were told "there will be questions you have not covered the topics on but it doenst matter just do what you can and you will know what you need to learn.", obviously everone got grades well below final predictions in that set and the 2nd set were cancelled by lockdown

The new triple lock means nothing/zip zero zilch and she is panicking she will be downgraded as a pupil doing 4 A levels at a school until a couple of years ago so not get her preferred uni and maybe not even her 2nd choice either. Made worse as whilst her school basically washed it's hands of the alevel students once lockdown started her team mate goes to the local Catholic private school and they continued having zoom revision sessions and doing past questions up until when exams would have been so will use those as justification to raise grades on anyone there who is downgraded.

30 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

modern petrol more so - it is to do with the ethanol element now added. Motorcyclist are very aware of it as a lot lay up bikes over winter. 

I am suffering with a very very stressed 18 yo worried about ALevel results. Her school do 2 sets of mocks, one early doors and another in late March  they only did the early ones where they were told "there will be questions you have not covered the topics on but it doenst matter just do what you can and you will know what you need to learn.", obviously everone got grades well below final predictions in that set and the 2nd set were cancelled by lockdown

The new triple lock means nothing/zip zero zilch and she is panicking she will be downgraded as a pupil doing 4 A levels at a school until a couple of years ago so not get her preferred uni and maybe not even her 2nd choice either. Made worse as whilst her school basically washed it's hands of the alevel students once lockdown started her team mate goes to the local Catholic private school and they continued having zoom revision sessions and doing past questions up until when exams would have been so will use those as justification to raise grades on anyone there who is downgraded.

Unless things are different in England then any past question answers aren’t high level evidence and the school would be taking the proverbial trying to use them as such without substantial other examples eg mock exams to support them. Bedfordshire Bronco may have more On this from English POV though but I think it was a blanket JCQ directive.

1 hour ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Unless things are different in England then any past question answers aren’t high level evidence and the school would be taking the proverbial trying to use them as such without substantial other examples eg mock exams to support them. Bedfordshire Bronco may have more On this from English POV though but I think it was a blanket JCQ directive.

Not only that but the spec had changed (a lot) in the sciences and they ONLY had 2 sets of sample qu, they did 1 set in class bit by bit, the mock they say was a different board and the spare set of sample questions was being kept for the final mocks that never happened.

Her Physics mock contained an entire question on cosmology which they had yet to even vaguely cover

The local catholic school freely admit to the parents/pupils they give "aspirational" predictions so their girls are more likely to get interviews at top uni's, they tell the girls this and warn them if they get an offer level with their predictions they would need to work their socks off to hit those grades so parents may need to pay for extra tuition. The state school is obviously bound by more strict guidelines and gives what the teachers consider are likely predictions.

Changing specs will be taken into account because of limited data on performance - or at least in Wales WJEC confirmed that to me.

if your daughters ‘hard’ or high level evidence has been previously good she should be ok. So end of year 12 exams will probably be her best examples of this.

Ultimately even for this shower of useless **** this is a total balls up and should just award the CAGS Which are far more robust IMO.

20 minutes ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Changing specs will be taken into account because of limited data on performance - or at least in Wales WJEC confirmed that to me.

if your daughters ‘hard’ or high level evidence has been previously good she should be ok. So end of year 12 exams will probably be her best examples of this.

Ultimately even for this shower of useless **** this is a total balls up and should just award the CAGS Which are far more robust IMO.

She took AS in all 3 sciences which would be good enough, her yr6 SATS were all top end, so much so her tutor had admitted she would bring down the value added score for the school as impossible for her to improve them by more than the average improvement across the school - throughout her 7 yrs the tracking report had "target levels" she couldnt actually attain with the tests/end of year exams she was doing

I am less worried than her but as you can imagine a teenage girl awaiting exam results she had no control over is not the most rational being

11 hours ago, ckn said:

I've been caught twice like that with my Chainsaw and Brush-cutter, leave them for more than 2 weeks with fuel in the system and it's £30 to get the carburetter jets cleaned out. or I can buy their "special" petrol that doesn't degrade in the same way at £25 for 5 Litres.

As an aside they also suggest buying their "special" 2 Stroke oil that is designed for chainsaws and the like, apparently it's "special" because motor bike 2 Stroke oil isn't for engines being run at maximum revs for extended periods.

I genuinely laughed in his face. 

12 minutes ago, Shadow said:

As an aside they also suggest buying their "special" 2 Stroke oil that is designed for chainsaws and the like, apparently it's "special" because motor bike 2 Stroke oil isn't for engines being run at maximum revs for extended periods.

I genuinely laughed in his face. 

He has obviously spent no time with 16 & 17 yo's with 2 stroke bikes, they live on the rev limiter, if you dont heat seize your engine regularly you arent trying hard enough (i owned an FS1-e)

10 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

He has obviously spent no time with 16 & 17 yo's with 2 stroke bikes, they live on the rev limiter, if you dont heat seize your engine regularly you arent trying hard enough (i owned an FS1-e)

GP-100

The throttle had 2 settings, on or off.

The FS1-e would be worth a fortune now

11 minutes ago, Shadow said:

GP-100

The throttle had 2 settings, on or off.

The FS1-e would be worth a fortune now

Not as much as you think

The fs1e was a M reg goldie orange one (pre dx) that i got about 12 yrs ago from my brother in law, he was moving house it had sat in the garage unused for a long while (he got it as 3rd owner 2 years old in 1976 or something and once rode it from Sheffield to Bristol (2 spark plug changes needed), i used it as a winter bike for 2 years to save my gpz900r, but it was just too hard to maintain not least as the engine bolts are cross head screws made of cheese. I had replaced the rear mudguard with a cheap pattern one and an enduro lighting set after the original cracked above the rear wheel - I rang a classic parts place to enquire and found mine was in better nick than most of what they had (they offered me £100 for mine !!) - so i sold the spare parts i had for silly money (a cheap pattern kickstart lever that only fits the first 2 yrs went for £65), then i sold the bike to the local independant dealership for £250 plus putting my wifes old 125 through an MOT.

They spent 3 yrs restoring it using mechanics downtime and their contacts to source parts (owner rang Smiths to source a speedo and was told they had 2 new old stock left so bought both) - so whilst they may be theoretically worth £6k concourse, to get them to that level costs that amount, even stripping the bike back to bare frame, stripping and powder coating it was a major time consuming job

If i can find a pic (or before and after) I will post

On 12/08/2020 at 08:51, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

well good news and bad

good: uni have offered her her first choice despite not getting the grades required

Bad news - predicted ABBC became BBCE, every single pupil at her school was dropped by at least a grade on 2 subjects, nobody raised. School will appeal at least 2 of hers but no idea of the process yet

All her rugby friends have had grades  lowered despite being at different schools and colleges, 

4 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

well good news and bad

good: uni have offered her her first choice despite not getting the grades required

Bad news - predicted ABBC became BBCE, every single pupil at her school was dropped by at least a grade on 2 subjects, nobody raised. School will appeal at least 2 of hers but no idea of the process yet

All her rugby friends have had grades  lowered despite being at different schools and colleges, 

Good to hear she has first choice.👍👍

Overnight here WGdropped a and a star grades by 13% which means lots of our kids lost out whilst the historically ‘top’ schools are posting record results...😡

Appeals process here means kids have to agree to ‘lose’ the awarded grade and so may end up with a lower one if they appeal 😡😡😡😡 Hope it’s different in England but with Partridge/Spencer in charge probably as bad or worse....

2 minutes ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Good to hear she has first choice.👍👍

Overnight here WGdropped a and a star grades by 13% which means lots of our kids lost out whilst the historically ‘top’ schools are posting record results...😡

Appeals process here means kids have to agree to ‘lose’ the awarded grade and so may end up with a lower one if they appeal 😡😡😡😡 Hope it’s different in England but with Partridge/Spencer in charge probably as bad or worse....

she has amate at the RC private school, she was predicted A*A*A* got A*AA, other mate from next town over wont give exact results but saying dropped 2 grades every subject and wouldnt have got onto her Sports Science course if it was not for unconditional. A mates son who was born in Paderborn and speaks fluent german (german mother who uses it at home) has had his A* prediction downed to a B

Please remember that any political stuff should go on the political forum. There's a discussion on the Tories thread there about this subject.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Archived