Dear Diary

On 31/08/2020 at 18:00, Red Willow said:

Your neighbours loss will leave a big hole in your life too.

Yeah, more than I thought. Gabriel meant a lot to me, he was a very good friend, I had liked him and his wife when I first moved in 3 years ago, then his wife died of cancer 6 months later, and I kept in contact with him, then he developed Prostate, Bowel & Stomach cancer & he seemed ok until this week when his blood sugar started to drop off, dramatically, and his cognoscente seemed to drop below normal, so we called an ambulance, which took 3.5 hours to arrive, they took him to hospital, but,...................................

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody is interested, but the book was 71/1000, of a play by JM Barrie, who wrote Peter Pan, of a play called Quality Street (yes, as in the chocolates), hand printed illustrations,  signed by the illustrator, and he has 2 of them, dated 1904.

He also had 18c Meteorological Society Records dated 1770-ish

• 2 weeks later...

I have a flat, facing the Channel, and today it feels tropical. I have the front window wide open, and the back bedroom window 50% open, but I am boiling in here.

My rental management company phoned me up last week and asked about my heating (amongst other usual stuff), and I told them I have lived here for 3 years, and never switched my heating on. I prefer a cold bedroom. When I grew up in Salford, there was a hole in my bedroom window that my Dad refused to replace. So I am used to minus temperature in the bedroom, that's why I survived my ex for so long.

It snowed here 2 years ago, and I left the bedroom window open. 

3 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Is this a blathering thread? If so I could use it right now. I don't want any negativity atm, I just need to be.

Yep, treat it like a virtual diary. As long as you don't post anything that'd get moderator attention.

I created it a couple of years ago as people were grumbling that Uninteresting Trivial Facts was getting full of blathering.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

20 hours ago, DavidM said:

Finally after a month my glasses are ready to pick up

I got my new ones last week, hate them with a passion, back to opticians this morning to get them redone as they're beyond useless. The reading range is so short that I can't read a book at arm's length without getting a thumping headache after 5 mins.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Cholesterol results in today as part of a blood test:

HDL - 1.0
LDL - 0.9
Triglycerides - 0.9

For a 49 year old chunky lad who really needs to lose 3 stone, that's good.

Happy with that.

4 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

What's the secret? I'm asking for my 43 year old friend....

Working class genes with centuries of lard and stodgy in a diet marrying a wife who feeds me my food’s food. I think my body is genetically used to stodgy food so burns cholesterol for fun and doesn’t know what to do with healthy stuff.

For example, lunch today, bruschetta, home made with fancy tomatoes and stuff. Dinner, pasta, veggie basic one.

In fact... today was a vegetarian day. My forefathers would be ashamed... I will go eat meat for the hell of it now, maybe a slice of ham.

11 hours ago, ckn said:

Working class genes with centuries of lard and stodgy in a diet marrying a wife who feeds me my food’s food. I think my body is genetically used to stodgy food so burns cholesterol for fun and doesn’t know what to do with healthy stuff.

For example, lunch today, bruschetta, home made with fancy tomatoes and stuff. Dinner, pasta, veggie basic one.

In fact... today was a vegetarian day. My forefathers would be ashamed... I will go eat meat for the hell of it now, maybe a slice of ham.

ONE slice! That makes you practically a vegan in my book.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

4 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Cod liver oil probably, and a healthy diet, that is what has kept me to 58

Balanced diet. Have chips now and again, fried food once a week, don't go vegan. red meat is good for cholesterol, and red blood cells, in moderation, Chicken is also protein balanced, so plenty of that (although not Nando's and KFC every day).

I once ate Chicken every day for a month before a Doctors assessment of my Epilepsy status, and passed it with flying colours, as they say.

The rebuild of the back end of the garden began today, this could be hard work going off phase 1. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/08/2020 at 21:40, Copa said:

I have now had a poem accepted for publication in a major US poetry journal that accepts submissions from around the world.

I was very surprised to get the acceptance email.

I feel a bit like I have imposters syndrome.

Another esteemed US publication is dedicating a page to some of my work in their spring edition.  It was less than a week between the submission and their request for multiple poems.

This is all getting a bit strange. I would never have considered myself a poet at any point in my life... but this is all happening and I’m just rolling with it.

That’s the fourth publication/journal now. 3 of them are hard copies and the first of the hard copies should be arriving in my mail box very soon.

My partner is just as surprised as I am. 🤣

On 21/09/2020 at 17:59, DavidM said:

Dear diary , it’s my birthday . Hurrah !

Dear Diary, it was my birthday last week.

Another one celebrated after reaching `the age of discretion'.

Whoopee!  Every birthday after reaching a certain age is a cause for celebration  🥳.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

I've been feeling a bit off today, so worked back the last 24 hours to see what was causing it. I found it....

Yesterday, I had an optician's appt to get my new glasses prescription sorted. I wanted a pair for computer use as my eyes are straining a bit. I already have reading ones. New glasses arrived and I couldn't read >8" from my face, never mind see my computer screen. They were worse than my old reading glasses for both reading and seeing the screen.

The optician was insistent I was wrong, he would not listen. I simply could not be experiencing what I said. I think he really wanted to say I was lying but knew that wouldn't go down well.

It took me getting my "this is how it will be" voice out to solve it. He would not have listened to me without me bringing out every bit of assertiveness I could. He was even refusing to look away from his screen when I was trying to show reading distances, he was furious that I was challenging his professional competence.

He put the glasses in the lens tester and showed me "see, this is what I prescribed last time". I think he must have entered the wrong figures when he did the prescription last time, no other reason for such a huge prescription error. My eyes haven't deteriorated in the two weeks from prescription to getting them, I'm still using my readers for this computer with no difference.

When I had my initial eye test with him, he rushed it, reusing my old prescription and the whole appt was <15 minutes rather than the usual 30-40 minutes I'm used to for eye tests.

We eventually sorted the prescription but he was clearly bitter at having to redo them. I didn't want anything beyond getting the lenses sorted, I didn't want money back, I just wanted my glasses working as promised.

Such a simple thing but effectively being accused of making it up has derailed me slightly. Now I know the cause, I can shuffle it behind me. Typing this has been the therapy I needed to move on!

I'll get my new glasses, if they're right then that's when I'll make a formal grumble to his bosses. I can't believe I'm not the only one who he's been like this with.

Archived