Dear Diary

This thunderstorm could be doing with hurrying up... it feels like a sauna with the heat and humidity. Expecting it around midnight along with a 30% drop in that humidity. That’ll be nice....

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ckn said:

Another sign of getting old. I was just reading a story about the army replacing it’s “ageing fleet of Warrior vehicles”. I can remember being impressed with the brand new first generation ones I saw in 1989 :( 

Did you catch the end of Larkspur and Slidex?

26 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Did you catch the end of Larkspur and Slidex?

No, they were completely replaced by Clansman and BATCO by the time I joined. We did get taught the principles of Slidex though for joint ops work. 

We did get to use the Star Wars props and house destroyers though before the SA80 was rolled out. 

I can still remember the jealousy from the gun bunnies when we OPs got goretex and proper bergens issued while they still had their crisp packets and NAAFI bergen knock-offs

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

7 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Where are they going to find another chilled out entertainer like you? ;)

Pune apparently.

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Been there, done that, got thoroughly shedded.

It's a ride. Not always a good one.

It'll be rate*. Got my compensation chat in an hour.

*This attitude could significantly change in 90 mins.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

2 hours ago, MattSantos said:

I'll have roughly a years salary to keep me going from Feb until i find a job. 

I'll be on a dependents visa. Probs start looking October time.

Hope things work out for you

I've just done an hour of my Rosetta Stone language training in Italian and I'm beginning to regret ticking the box that tells it to be pedantic about my pronunciation :( It doesn't half remind me of both school and signals training in the army where I repeatedly got picked up for running my words into each other.  Clear. Diction. Includes. Separating. Words.

I suppose it's good that it is doing that but it isn't playing to my lazy side...

4 hours ago, ckn said:

I've just done an hour of my Rosetta Stone language training in Italian and I'm beginning to regret ticking the box that tells it to be pedantic about my pronunciation :( It doesn't half remind me of both school and signals training in the army where I repeatedly got picked up for running my words into each other.  Clear. Diction. Includes. Separating. Words.

I suppose it's good that it is doing that but it isn't playing to my lazy side...

It is unfortunate that grammar is easy to teach and pronunciation.   

I recall Danish lessons.  Grammar lessons consisted of weeks of going over the same straight forward, easy rule for those unwilling to learn it, whereas pronunciation was covered with "No, not like that, get your non-existent Danish husband to teach you".

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

19 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

It is unfortunate that grammar is easy to teach and pronunciation.   

I recall Danish lessons.  Grammar lessons consisted of weeks of going over the same straight forward, easy rule for those unwilling to learn it, whereas pronunciation was covered with "No, not like that, get your non-existent Danish husband to teach you".

My post was a bit flippant really, I don't regret the pedantic instruction to the software as I know pronunciation is my weak point.  The extra detail involves it breaking down some words (not sure if it learns where I'm weak or it just happens that I'm weak on the bits it's teaching in extra detail) into explicitly pronounced syllables that it grades as it goes.

The unfortunate side-effect is that I find myself using my hands to help emphasise the proper diction of the words in a stereotypically Italian way :(

I'm glad a battery flogging, rude, arrogant bully is having a hard time of it and can't wait for fresh beginnings, even if that means starting from scratch.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

19 hours ago, ckn said:

I’ve been going on Duolingo three weeks . Doing ok but  link words like the , a , those , them , theirs etc and masculine , feminine , singular , plural etc are tough 

People must think I'm proper nosy looking at their profiles, when in fact it's just my fat fingers hitting their names instead of the last post

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Last bit of the new kitchen jigsaw puzzle put in place today, we can now cook again. Just a bit of plastering a lick of paint and all done and dusted.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I quite like spiders and the role they play in our domestic society.

What I don't like is when they share my shower with me and decide to announce themselves by popping out from behind the shower handle to say "hello".  Especially when they're one of the Giant House Spiders* we have here.

* for our antipodean forum members, that's their name, they're tiny compared to the ones you might see but can comfortably touch all sides of a pint glass when it's over them...

My wife asked me to take it out rather than kill it...  so I did.  We went for a morning coffee and a chat.  He's a nice guy really.  Wants to be a web developer.

4 minutes ago, ckn said:

My wife asked me to take it out rather than kill it...  so I did.  We went for a morning coffee and a chat.  He's a nice guy really.  Wants to be a web developer.

That one has got legs.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

42 minutes ago, ckn said:

Are you sure he wasn’t just spinning you a line

35 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Are you sure he wasn’t just spinning you a line

Thanks to him, there’s no flies on me.

1 minute ago, Bleep1673 said:

So, what do you call a Giant House Spider, who has just, suddenly been made homeless by his cruel, wicked, evil landlord? Isn't there enough homeless on the streets these days? You should be ashamed CKN.

A freeloading spider doesn't get squatter's rights in this house.  I'm not without sympathy, it can have the garage or shed all to itself, there's far more food for it there and I'm far less likely to be disturbed by a scream from my wife if they just stay out.

By evicting this poor spider, has Craig just destroyed his moderator's "spidey sense"?

Things might never be the same round here.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Archived