Dear Diary

Not a point I want to get into discussion on so here rather than the COVID threads.

My lunch 1230-1300.

1230, told another doctor in our patch has died of confirmed COVID-19.
1250, James O'Brien radio show on in the background where he read out all the health and social care workers he knows have died with COVID-19.
1300, I've just finished a meeting where we were discussing children & young persons' palliative care guidance for COVID-19

The year 2020 can go fornicate itself.

If COVID-19 hadn't happened, I'd be in Sorrento in Italy on holiday right now. Quite probably at this time of day sitting in the main road in town with a coffee and a book.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Dear Diary.

I got a call from the council today about my Section21 removal, and it seems they are as desperate to move me as I am to move out. All I get is the slamming of the partition door, the noise of the lift, that i have to pay for, despite being on the ground floor, and the cancer of my neighbour to remind me why I live facing the sea. I got some milk from a friend, thank you go. But i cant move until the organisations get themselves sorted. I have a nice flat lined up. I want to move. The letting agents want me to move in so bad it hasn't been on Zoopla yet. I have 30 boxes that i have scrounged  from Lidl & my local offie, and I have a man-with-a-van on stand by. The Landlord has held it back for me. I even have the backing of my local MP  Sally-Ann Hart (c). I am at my witz end. I want to move, my Landlord wants me to move, my future landlord hasn't had a tenant for 4 months, so.....

Deep breaths Bleep.

If I went out and screamed like a wolf, i would get sectioned, but i might get that place.

• 2 weeks later...

This morning, I decided to reset my "ignored" list on here in an act of good will.

One person didn't last 30 minutes, and no, it wasn't Saintslass ?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/05/2020 at 20:37, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I have been repairing my garden bench today and have just been painting the ironwork a nice shade of British racing green. Inevitably there were a couple of little drips. One of my cats just walked in a few minutes ago. It has a green paw....

Cat racing, there's something Channel 5 hasn't thought of yet.

Yet.

This website frustrates me sometimes. It takes a few seconds for the advert to appear at the top of the page on my mobile devices and I've normally clicked on which forum I want and moved on just as it comes up so I only get a single second glimpse at the ad. Why is it always a woman in lingerie on the days my WiFi is working quickly?! 

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

This website frustrates me sometimes. It takes a few seconds for the advert to appear at the top of the page on my mobile devices and I've normally clicked on which forum I want and moved on just as it comes up so I only get a single second glimpse at the ad. Why is it always a woman in lingerie on the days my WiFi is working quickly?! 

I think it's time for the "tracking cookies" talk...

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Mmm I wonder why ?

Sometimes, the considered response just isn't worth the effort.

Sometimes f... off is just what's needed. It cuts out unnecessary waffle and gets straight to the point.

I'm fortunate enough to be in a position of age, experience and security to be able to do that now.....

And the recipient of such instruction is well aware.?

Received this email today. Found it very weird indeed, obviously some substance to it. Don’t remember receiving anything for any other event or holiday

7C314253-E4A8-4D19-B4DA-FB0173C35948.png

Posted here as didn’t know where else would be revelvant  

On 11/06/2020 at 16:38, Spidey said:

Received this email today. Found it very weird indeed, obviously some substance to it. Don’t remember receiving anything for any other event or holiday

7C314253-E4A8-4D19-B4DA-FB0173C35948.png

Posted here as didn’t know where else would be revelvant  

Yes, I got one of those (from a different place). Think they're a good idea but it's also the first time I've received anything like it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Yes, I got one of those (from a different place). Think they're a good idea but it's also the first time I've received anything like it.

Spam advertising, pure and simple. "The Odious Odeon is currently closed, but please don't forget us when cinemas reopen"

On 19/06/2020 at 08:41, Saint 1 said:

I coached my first socially-distanced rugby training session last night. Pleasantly surprised with how it went and how many rugby skills we were still able to work on! All it took was some creative thinking and ~100 cones. 

An observation I made to myself yesterday in similar circumstances. It struck me just how lacking some players were in the core skills and the approach we took really helped to refine and develop those skills. 

I just spent something like 4 and half hours watching random youtube videos which has now depressed me a little cos it feels like incredibly wasted time that I could have used for something more productive but I suppose if I wasn't watching YouTube I'd just have been watching some repeats on TV anyway.

Just sitting and watching a screen makes me feel like I'm chucking my life away, especially when I've got a big stack of books waiting to be read and a couple of other projects to complete. I'm a bit annoyed at myself for wasting that time but should I be? I, like most people, basically just sit watching TV all day anyway so why is watching videos on YouTube any different? I don't know, strange feeling of guilt, maybe I feel like I could have been watching some intellectual documentaries on TV or something as opposed to idiots pratting about online. So annoyed with myself... 

19 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I just spent something like 4 and half hours watching random youtube videos which has now depressed me a little cos it feels like incredibly wasted time that I could have used for something more productive but I suppose if I wasn't watching YouTube I'd just have been watching some repeats on TV anyway.

Just sitting and watching a screen makes me feel like I'm chucking my life away, especially when I've got a big stack of books waiting to be read and a couple of other projects to complete. I'm a bit annoyed at myself for wasting that time but should I be? I, like most people, basically just sit watching TV all day anyway so why is watching videos on YouTube any different? I don't know, strange feeling of guilt, maybe I feel like I could have been watching some intellectual documentaries on TV or something as opposed to idiots pratting about online. So annoyed with myself... 

Think of it as broadening your horizons. Is it any less productive than sitting down in the armchair and  nodding off for a few hours? Did it entertain you? Did you learn something? I reckon both of those things happened and that makes it legit in my book. 

28 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Think of it as broadening your horizons. Is it any less productive than sitting down in the armchair and  nodding off for a few hours? Did it entertain you? Did you learn something? I reckon both of those things happened and that makes it legit in my book. 

I guess I didn't really think of it like that. It did entertain me and give me a laugh which isn't any different to watching some rubbish Hollywood comedy film or something is it? Makes me feel very hypocritical that I wouldn't think twice about sticking some rubbish, trashy film on TV and yet I watch a load of YouTube videos and feel that I've wasted loads of time. Even more hypocritical when I think I'm subscribed to a few YouTube channels and watch new videos on those the moment they come out.

As I say, I was probably annoyed at myself last night cos instead of watching YouTube I could have been reading the big stack of books I've got which keeps growing taller and there's a couple other projects I've got half finished round the house as well but you've just gotta stop and sit back and relax sometimes haven't you? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/11/2019 at 18:51, Copa said:

I started writing poetry this year and just received notification that a poem I submitted for a collection has been accepted and will be published.

Feeling quite pleased with myself right now.

I had a second poem published a few weeks ago. The editors are quite renowned in their fields too so I’m quite happy with myself.

I’ve been writing a lot more poetry and I’m also feeling more confident and capable with regards to my poetry.

Up until last year I never thought I’d be the sort of person to write poetry. It was a friend who encouraged me to give it a try because she thought I’d be good at it.

A little bit of encouragement can change person’s life in a small way.

• 4 weeks later...

Car insurance renewal time. We are with Churchill, the insurance quote went down from £326 last year to £306 on renewal. I did my usual comparison website check and will now covered by Esure at just over £200.

I think that's the lowest insurance price I've ever had, and it includes courtesy car, legal insurance and a few other extras.

11 minutes ago, ckn said:

Car insurance renewal time. We are with Churchill, the insurance quote went down from £326 last year to £306 on renewal. I did my usual comparison website check and will now covered by Esure at just over £200.

I think that's the lowest insurance price I've ever had, and it includes courtesy car, legal insurance and a few other extras.

I was with esure last time I had car insurance before getting back on the company vehicle bandwagon, I had to use them once when I managed to drive my Outlander into the back of someone's Nissan Micra. They were excellent, took all the stress away for both parties. I will use them again when I'm out of the Ranger and back into a normal car.

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

I was with esure last time I had car insurance before getting back on the company vehicle bandwagon, I had to use them once when I managed to drive my Outlander into the back of someone's Nissan Micra. They were excellent, took all the stress away for both parties. I will use them again when I'm out of the Ranger and back into a normal car.

Into? Or over? Or through? Those Outlanders have a good height to them, and a good weight.

4 hours ago, ckn said:

Into? Or over? Or through? Those Outlanders have a good height to them, and a good weight.

You forget it was the PHEV so made from Alcan's finest foil to redue weight. I came off best, but a significant amount of work was done by the crumple zones.

9 minutes ago, Shadow said:

You forget it was the PHEV so made from Alcan's finest foil to redue weight. I came off best, but a significant amount of work was done by the crumple zones.

When I had mine, the thing that stuck in my mind was the sheer stability of it because of the heavy batteries down low. And also the really tinny noise (not reassuring heavy clunk) when I shut the doors. It did feel like driving in an old army Landrover with user-fixable panels you just beat into shape because they're just thin strips of metal.

Archived