Whitehaven

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to question Haven's budgeting process. How can a club run out of money half way through a season, especially when they won games and prize money in the CC. I have sympathy but wonder if my team, Skolars should have overspent and possibly beaten Haven in the two games we have lost against them this season.

Last season and this there has effectively been only one promotion place available with Toronto and Bradford. 

It was almost inevitable that at least one club would get into financial trouble trying to push for that place to get out of League 1.

Far too often clubs think they have a sponsor and commit to spending the money before they actually have hold of the dosh.

Haven having just been pipped by Barrow last year must have fancied their chances this year.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Not the first time Whitehaven have found themselves in this situation. On this occasion, however, they have far fewer friends/potential sources of goodwill than in the past. You've got to question if the town still wants this 'great club'. The recent home match with York - one of the games of the season - attracted just 500 spectators. Pathetic.

Was last year when they really overspent going all out for promotion. Have cut back this year but must have legacy debts to cover with less 'handouts' from sponsors

5 hours ago, Bearman said:

Last season and this there has effectively been only one promotion place available with Toronto and Bradford. 

It has really been three seasons, with Toulouse coming before Toronto and Bradford.  It is really unfair to League One sides if the RFL continue to place full time expansion sides in the division. Imagine if NY and then Boston come in the next two years, it has will make it almost impossible to get promoted.

6 hours ago, ojx said:

It has really been three seasons, with Toulouse coming before Toronto and Bradford.  It is really unfair to League One sides if the RFL continue to place full time expansion sides in the division. Imagine if NY and then Boston come in the next two years, it has will make it almost impossible to get promoted.

If the RFL had placed any of the expansion clubs into the Championship the very same L1 clubs would be screaming blue murder over the unfairness of it, the help given to expansion clubs, how the RFL play favourites, etc, etc.

The West Cumbrian clubs are always going through these cycles. 18 months from now it'll be Workington's turn to be in trouble, while Whitehaven will be telling everyone they've fought their way through it and have a bright future. 2 years from that and they'll be on the verge again. 18 months later....ad infinitum.

The clubs/owners/fans need to address the fundamental problem - and it's not that people in the region dislike RL, all the evidence shows that's not true. Everyone knows what it is, they just won't admit to it.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

6 hours ago, ojx said:

Not sure I necessarily agree with that.  Bradford were relegated for a start, thus giving a League 1 side the opportunity to go up.  There is still an another promotion spot available.  By my reckoning the bottom 5 generally struggle a bit so you've got eight teams vying for one spot.  Not insurmountable odds that.

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

44 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

The clubs/owners/fans need to address the fundamental problem - and it's not that people in the region dislike RL, all the evidence shows that's not true. Everyone knows what it is, they just won't admit to it.

Please enlighten us...

1 hour ago, mickhornet said:

Cant be blamed for sponsers going under, just bad luck.

The sponsors didn't go under. Their main sponsor from Sellafield announced last year they were pulling out and even paid them the remaining contracted amount up front, it was publicised at the time. They spent that last year chasing promotion. This year they have not managed to find a sponsor of the same magnitude but still ploughed on signing players they couldn't afford unless crowds hit the 1,000 ish mark. Bottom line is they've created the situation by over optimistic budgeting and spending beyond their means.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

no one who likes the great game likes to see clubs fall into such a state but as i recall last season many people were saying whitehaven had invested all their money , including half of this seasons budget , in an all out high risk high wages promotion bid which would mean promotion or bust , this was vigorously denied as lies and now we see this current situation come to light , its no wonder there are claims of recklessness being banded around as something looks very much amiss .

2 hours ago, Derwent said:

The sponsors didn't go under. Their main sponsor from Sellafield announced last year they were pulling out and even paid them the remaining contracted amount up front, it was publicised at the time. They spent that last year chasing promotion. This year they have not managed to find a sponsor of the same magnitude but still ploughed on signing players they couldn't afford unless crowds hit the 1,000 ish mark. Bottom line is they've created the situation by over optimistic budgeting and spending beyond their means.

Exactly this, the reasons they have given for the cash flow problems are all known before they made signings etc, other than the lower than budgeted attendances. I feel sympathy for their fans (well, most of them) but not their board who have created the problem through gross mismanagement.

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Please enlighten us...

Think if a word beginning with "M" and its not Maurice (Lindsay), but you would be on the right track.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

10 hours ago, ojx said:

Isn't this what the clubs wanted??

New teams to play up from the bottom like rangers in Scotland??

Didn't see the clubs moaning about their free trips to France and Canada effectively reducing playing costs in each of the last 2 seasons!

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

Think if a word beginning with "M" and its not Maurice (Lindsay), but you would be on the right track.

OK, I'll assume we are thinking that Whitehaven merging with Workington is going help them not be £60K short on their budget? I don't see how it would help - given that most of their (shrinking) fanbase would likely stop going to matches - but I'm willing to be enlightened. 

20 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Not the first time Whitehaven have found themselves in this situation. On this occasion, however, they have far fewer friends/potential sources of goodwill than in the past. You've got to question if the town still wants this 'great club'. The recent home match with York - one of the games of the season - attracted just 500 spectators. Pathetic.

Including 100 or so from york

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

6 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

OK, I'll assume we are thinking that Whitehaven merging with Workington is going help them not be £60K short on their budget? I don't see how it would help - given that most of their (shrinking) fanbase would likely stop going to matches - but I'm willing to be enlightened. 

You won’t be , it’s pie in the sky as we know 

Archived