Dewsbury v Featherstone

Crown Flatter

2 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

It's not about a poor year, it's the year I expected given the budget we have. Before the season started, I predicted we'd finish 8th, we are 9th at the moment. Short of a sugar daddy turning up, it'll be the same again next season. And the same reason Fev will never get promoted unless a Beaumont turns up. Read on RL forum that Ken Davy has put £12m into Giants and even Lenagan had put £6m into Wigan.

Just read it's the last season of the Middle 8s, that will shake things up.

We do have a sugar daddy though WR. Without MS we would be in very deep doo-doo. He just doesn't have as much sugar, nor we as many fans, as those clubs who do.

Three of the four clubs with a smaller budget than ours are currently below us (the other is just above). Sad I know but money really does talk in our division. What the proposed restructure will bring is anyone's guess.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without MS we would be in deep trouble, but he  keeps the club stable, but does want to throw money at the team to buy a few more wins and I don't blame him. He could spend £300-400k and we still might not make the Middle 8s. It will be interesting to see the financial fallout at clubs which don't make the top 4.

And with this season looking like the end of the Middle 8s any club looking to get promoted will have to throw a lot of money at it.

3 hours ago, IRugbyS said:

Anyone see the dangerous contact from Hallett in this game? Up for a grade D offence.... Can't remember seeing anything untoward happening?? 

Think it was the tackle on Matty Wildie, Hock gets away with forearm smash to Sherriff's head, unbelievable.

2 hours ago, coolie said:

Why ain't Patterson up for a grade z charge for dangerous contact with shoulder to the head of Glover?? 

Twice,but don't worry nothing will be done about it.

6 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Think it was the tackle on Matty Wildie, Hock gets away with forearm smash to Sherriff's head, unbelievable.

One wrong doesn't make a right. If there was a crusher tackle, and video will show whether that is so, then it must be punished. Whilst not looking so spectacular as big hits, elbows etc they are immensely dangerous for the players on the receiving end and have to be eliminated.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

11 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Think the blind chap with the green shirt missed the Hock forearm incident completely so no one would be looking at it...

17 hours ago, IRugbyS said:

Anyone see the dangerous contact from Hallett in this game? Up for a grade D offence.... Can't remember seeing anything untoward happening?? 

IIRC it was put on report.

3 hours ago, NickD said:

Think the blind chap with the green shirt missed the Hock forearm incident completely so no one would be looking at it...

Nothing to have stopped Dewsbury bringing it to the attention of the disciplinary

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

IIRC it was put on report.

Nothing to have stopped Dewsbury bringing it to the attention of the disciplinary

We did think about it but with our luck the RFL would have probably banned our prop Jodie Sherriff  for leading with his head ?

3 hours ago, graham fisher said:

We did think about it but with our luck the RFL would have probably banned our prop Jodie Sherriff  for leading with his head ?

To be fair - Sherriff did look as though he might have tried to bite Hocks forearm as it went in.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

23 hours ago, graham fisher said:

One wrong doesn't make a right. If there was a crusher tackle, and video will show whether that is so, then it must be punished. Whilst not looking so spectacular as big hits, elbows etc they are immensely dangerous for the players on the receiving end and have to be eliminated.

Sadly, and I think this emotion might be shared by a host of traditional Fev fans, their club has connived with the cynical exploitation of the loan/DR rules to give Leeds an insurance against Catalans.

One minute Gary Hetherington is defending the ethos of the sport, the next minute he is besmirching it's name. I truly hope that he can recognise the difference.

12 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Sadly, and I think this emotion might be shared by a host of traditional Fev fans, their club has connived with the cynical exploitation of the loan/DR rules to give Leeds an insurance against Catalans.

One minute Gary Hetherington is defending the ethos of the sport, the next minute he is besmirching it's name. I truly hope that he can recognise the difference.

I agree. I don't think Leeds give a toss about Fev, anymore than Saints think about Sheffield. I won't, however, pretend that we wouldn't do the same as Fev if we were in their shoes. From Leed's point of view, it makes sense to keep their players match fit with the best part time side in the Championship, but they won't have the slightest qualms about pulling the plug when it suits.  In the mean time it's allowing Fev to live with the full timers, but possibly at the cost of team spirit to the squad. I'll bet it doesn't sit easily with the dyed in the wool Fev faithful. On the matter of Sheffield,  they would sell their collective Grannies into prostitution if it was going to keep them in business.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

5 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

I agree. I don't think Leeds give a toss about Fev, anymore than Saints think about Sheffield. I won't, however, pretend that we wouldn't do the same as Fev if we were in their shoes. From Leed's point of view, it makes sense to keep their players match fit with the best part time side in the Championship, but they won't have the slightest qualms about pulling the plug when it suits.  In the mean time it's allowing Fev to live with the full timers, but possibly at the cost of team spirit to the squad. I'll bet it doesn't sit easily with the dyed in the wool Fev faithful. On the matter of Sheffield,  they would sell their collective Grannies into prostitution if it was going to keep them in business.

How does Leeds taking a Fev player on loan for International cover square with that though GOR? What is the benefit for Fev?

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

How does Leeds taking a Fev player on loan for International cover square with that though GOR? What is the benefit for Fev?

£££ Transfer fee and reduced salary bill. Also possibly the 'promise' of availability of other players. All speculation of course......

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

£££ Transfer fee and reduced salary bill. Also possibly the 'promise' of availability of other players. All speculation of course......

Do loans attract transfer fees?

I thought Fev weren't skint.

13 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Do loans attract transfer fees?

I thought Fev weren't skint.

Even you know that it isn't a loan...... I doubt even money bags Dewsbury would turn down 'free' cash

Edit: the only report I've seen that actually tells it as it is https://www.pontefractandcastlefordexpress.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos-sign-record-try-scorer-luke-briscoe-from-featherstone-rovers-1-9213638

9 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Even you know that it isn't a loan...... I doubt even money bags Dewsbury would turn down 'free' cash

Edit: the only report I've seen that actually tells it as it is https://www.pontefractandcastlefordexpress.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos-sign-record-try-scorer-luke-briscoe-from-featherstone-rovers-1-9213638

So it is a transfer and not a loan? I must admit that is news to me, and to the Fev fans I suspect.

We aren't "money-bags" as you correctly surmise but do clearly suffer under the misapprehension that Fev have plenty of brass.

11 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

So it is a transfer and not a loan? I must admit that is news to me, and to the Fev fans I suspect.

We aren't "money-bags" as you correctly surmise but do clearly suffer under the misapprehension that Fev have plenty of brass.

It could never have been a loan given that he was coming back to Fev this Saturday - a quick glance at, or knowledge, of the loan rules would have been enough to see that. I've no idea how much 'brass' Fev have - although I have been told that the income streams that they have built up from outside of rugby means top 4 isn't essential to continue as they are - but surely every club is (or should be) looking at ways to bring in more and/or save money?

19 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

What have the Romans ever done for us eh ?  Yes, yes, they've lent us Ormondroyd, and Walters, and Handley, and Mullaley, and Delaney, but apart from that, what have they ever done for us, answer me that ? Then they have the brass neck to re - sign our top player, just when we need him, even though we will probably get him back on loan next week. Go on, what have the Romans  ever done for us ? Splitters.  :rtfm:

George Bernard Shaw.

11 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

What have the Romans ever done for us eh ?  Yes, yes, they've lent us Ormondroyd, and Walters, and Handley, and Mullaley, and Delaney, but apart from that, what have they ever done for us, answer me that ? Then they have the brass neck to re - sign our top player, just when we need him, even though we will probably get him back on loan next week. Go on, what have the Romans  ever done for us ? Splitters.  :rtfm:

Very good, except that our experience of setting up a DR with any SL club is that it works fine when they want it to, but they will walk away when it suits them. Building up moral capital in the bank of RL doesn't pay any bills.

Cash on the barrelhead is what counts.

Archived