Dewsbury v Featherstone

Crown Flatter

Very pleased today.  the lads never stopped trying today and we scored the best try of the game.  Was also pleased to see us throwing the ball around a little more ....

However we were never in it. Men against boys and further evidence for me that this league is a joke. Despite the superb result against Fax the evidence just builds and builds that no matter how hard we try and we are going to lose far more than we win no matter how much effort is put in.  

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, NickD said:

Very pleased today.  the lads never stopped trying today and we scored the best try of the game.  Was also pleased to see us throwing the ball around a little more ....

However we were never in it. Men against boys and further evidence for me that this league is a joke. Despite the superb result against Fax the evidence just builds and builds that no matter how hard we try and we are going to lose far more than we win no matter how much effort is put in.  

Which division is fair? Even the Premiership in football is four leagues in one. 

Think he is referring to the massive disparity in playing budgets, Fev won today because they are spending many times the Dewsbury playing budget. It just makes for uncompetitive matches like today's. It will be interesting to see the fallout at the club's who don't make the middle 8s.

21 minutes ago, NickD said:

Agree Nick that the lads never gave in and yes we did score the best try. Second half was 18 - 18. But disagree with regards the division comment. First 15 minutes killed us. Playing in the heat the first 15 is crucial in keeping the ball and completing your sets and just doing the basics right. We lost the ball , gave penalties and were far too slow at marker plus we never seem to like tackling around the legs. We gifted Fev set after set and they didn't need to defend which left them with plenty of energy. Dwyer from Leeds was pure class and Thackeray was outstanding. Fev are a class act but had we have just looked after the ball, completed sets and not given penalties away it would have been closer. We desperately need a class half back. A Fev supporter told us today that Thacks was on his way back to the Rams until Ridyard and Holmes got injured.

Whats going on with Glover!! ... last year he seemed to have pace to burn and could break a tackle ... today  he was outrun by a prop forward!! ... didn't take either the touch penalty or the conversion when Sykes was off the pitch and dropped the ball with the line at his mercy!!  ... If he is playing with an injury he must be less than 50% fit ... a real worry!!   I was expecting him to build on last year and hoped he would  kick on this season to be a real class player for us .... its just not happened.....  and for me today his performance was very disappointing! 

1 hour ago, the old nine ole said:

Whats going on with Glover!! ... last year he seemed to have pace to burn and could break a tackle ... today  he was outrun by a prop forward!! ... didn't take either the touch penalty or the conversion when Sykes was off the pitch and dropped the ball with the line at his mercy!!  ... If he is playing with an injury he must be less than 50% fit ... a real worry!!   I was expecting him to build on last year and hoped he would  kick on this season to be a real class player for us .... its just not happened.....  and for me today his performance was very disappointing! 

I think it's more to do with it's that time of year again,if you know what I mean ?

Honest toil and endeavour can’t make up the fact that they were a yard faster, a stone heavier and had more guile than us. But we still showed spirit and for me the Trout slow motion try was worth the admission alone, if only to temporarily shut up the Rovers moaner nearby - I thought Leeds fans were bad enough!

12 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Think he is referring to the massive disparity in playing budgets, Fev won today because they are spending many times the Dewsbury playing budget. It just makes for uncompetitive matches like today's. It will be interesting to see the fallout at the club's who don't make the middle 8s.

Fev failed to make the top four a couple of seasons back

13 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

And Leigh, London, Toronto and Toulouse have far bigger budget's then Fev, just got to get on with it i'am afraid. We do well on the size of our crowds because many come from outside of Fev. Many fans won't come now because they say no chance of promotion so a waste of time and money and i suspect many clubs fan's will feel the same. 

1 hour ago, MADREDNIGE said:

And Leigh, London, Toronto and Toulouse have far bigger budget's then Fev, just got to get on with it i'am afraid. We do well on the size of our crowds because many come from outside of Fev. Many fans won't come now because they say no chance of promotion so a waste of time and money and i suspect many clubs fan's will feel the same. 

I agree. Surely there has to be an incentive to finish as high up the league as possible, and prize money is that incentive, whether you finish second fourth or tenth. 

There would be plenty of noise if Dewsbury or Batley or any other club had money and we're not allowed to spend it, so why shouldn't teams spend their money. 

34 minutes ago, distantdog said:

I agree. Surely there has to be an incentive to finish as high up the league as possible, and prize money is that incentive, whether you finish second fourth or tenth. 

There would be plenty of noise if Dewsbury or Batley or any other club had money and we're not allowed to spend it, so why shouldn't teams spend their money. 

Good sense. Fans tend to blame the clubs that have the extra money instead of the disparity that the RFL actually give out. It could be more evenly split that is accepted. The only gripe I have is that clubs are allowed to bolster squads running up to the playoffs. This is especially true of the more wealthier super league clubs when they realise that they are in trouble.

1 hour ago, Phil Loxton said:

Good sense. Fans tend to blame the clubs that have the extra money instead of the disparity that the RFL actually give out. It could be more evenly split that is accepted. The only gripe I have is that clubs are allowed to bolster squads running up to the playoffs. This is especially true of the more wealthier super league clubs when they realise that they are in trouble.

Good point Phil but.....

The way monies are distributed, background crowds, sugar daddies..To me its all irrelevant ..The end result is that we have a league system that is pants..way too may games where I know we aint got a chance..

Unless we get relegated or there is a restructuring Im not sure how much longer I'll bother and I wont be the only one..Haven't seen my brother or my dad at a game for quite a while now..

We need two leagues with the top four form our league joining the big boys.  Let Fev in that one and they can enjoy a few defeats. I'd like to see how much the a**e that was stood next to me yesterday would like that...On a completely different note why do Fev always bring at least one Richard Head?  I'm sure most of their fans are great but I always get next to a complete tool..

3 hours ago, Phil Loxton said:

It's the disparity in central funds plus the added bonus from the Middle 8s. There's always been differences in club income and I don't begrudge any club - even Batley - from generating their own income. But the gap is so big it makes many games foregone conclusion before a ball has been kicked. 

9 hours ago, NickD said:

Good point Phil but.....

The way monies are distributed, background crowds, sugar daddies..To me its all irrelevant ..The end result is that we have a league system that is pants..way too may games where I know we aint got a chance..

Unless we get relegated or there is a restructuring Im not sure how much longer I'll bother and I wont be the only one..Haven't seen my brother or my dad at a game for quite a while now..

We need two leagues with the top four form our league joining the big boys.  Let Fev in that one and they can enjoy a few defeats. I'd like to see how much the a**e that was stood next to me yesterday would like that...On a completely different note why do Fev always bring at least one Richard Head?  I'm sure most of their fans are great but I always get next to a complete tool..

Sorry to say this Nick but losing you would be far better than being relegated. See yah!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

We lost to a better side. Whether this is down to players, coaching, budgets or something else I don't know, but we lost. The players didn't give up trying (Potts's try was superb) and we can criticise the defensive efforts whilst leaning on the barriers with a pint in our hands all that we want, but they were doing their best. It isn't always good enough but we are supporting Dewsbury, not Leeds.

We will surely lose to Toronto, and Leigh, but we then have three crucial can win/must win games that might decide our season. This is the time for the fans to stick by our side, understand their limitations, and just offer encouragement and hope.

Every single player that crosses that whitewash wearing a Dewsbury shirt is a hundred times braver than I, and deserves my support, no matter what.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

8 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

We lost to a better side. Whether this is down to players, coaching, budgets or something else I don't know, but we lost. The players didn't give up trying (Potts's try was superb) and we can criticise the defensive efforts whilst leaning on the barriers with a pint in our hands all that we want, but they were doing their best. It isn't always good enough but we are supporting Dewsbury, not Leeds.

We will surely lose to Toronto, and Leigh, but we then have three crucial can win/must win games that might decide our season. This is the time for the fans to stick by our side, understand their limitations, and just offer encouragement and hope.

Every single player that crosses that whitewash wearing a Dewsbury shirt is a hundred times braver than I, and deserves my support, no matter what.

Spot on BsJ.  Have no gripes at all with the team.  They gave 100% on Sunday and that was plain to see. 

Well having a go at the stewards i suppose is a good distraction from the failings of the team.

We haven't won a home game since cold and wet feb.that tells you something.

BSJ hinted before the game regarding tactics what could happen.

Shame we couldn't have got Thacks .basck because literally he  ran a ring round us for one of his tries.

i would give our man of match to potts for his score ,our wingers rarely get the ball.

Neil in league weekly says we could well be safe before the final stages - i can't wait.

As for fev. rovers i'd put them into super dooper league with a million and half of sky money before any toronto[full of brits,or toulouse.

22 hours ago, NickD said:

Good point Phil but.....

No matter wher i sit at a game most of em need the toilet numerous times. 

We may have lost to a good footballing side, but there is no need to shove an elbow into someone's face, causing injury, in the lead up to a try which should not have been given, or scoring s try with two forward passes in the move. 

I feel sure Fev were offside at the kick off after two of our tries that went unpublished. 

My biggest disappointment was that we couldn't catch a prop forward over 80 metres and Glover's dive at the player's heels was way off target. Says little for our speedy winger on that side. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

3 hours ago, OldManMarley said:

There was a lot coming from your lads aswell, it was ###### for tat!?

I would blame your loss on the fact that you were second best in every department. There were plenty of decisions missed for both teams so I don’t think it has any influence on the result whatsoever! 

I was surprised to see so few Dewsbury fans, first time back at your gaff in a few years and the numbers don’t look great which is a shame!

With little prospect of winning and nice weather, why bother? Spend £17 to watch a game that was over by half time. 

20 hours ago, OldManMarley said:

Batley beat Toulouse....

Barrow beat Leigh....

Barrow drew with Toronto....

Fev beat Leigh....

Were these all for gone conclusions? Financial differences will always be there, but some teams make up for it somehow, clearly.

So that's four games out of how many?

Do you think it was John Duffy's coaching that won the game or the fact that Fev can afford better players 1-17. And assuming you make the Middle 8s it will be the same result next season. 

3 hours ago, OldManMarley said:

I would blame your loss on the fact that you were second best in every department. There were plenty of decisions missed for both teams so I don’t think it has any influence on the result whatsoever! 

I was surprised to see so few Dewsbury fans, first time back at your gaff in a few years and the numbers don’t look great which is a shame!

If you don't win a fair few of your home games then you are in big trouble as is shown by the lack of numbers.

A few seasons a go we had a second team that  played open attractive rugby i wonder where those  players are now. 

4 hours ago, OldManMarley said:

I didn't say in my comments that those wrong decisions had any influence on the result. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

2 hours ago, OldManMarley said:

We can afford better players yes, but Toulouse and Leigh can afford better squads than ours on a full time basis and we still beat them?

Dewsbury have just had a poor year.

It's not about a poor year, it's the year I expected given the budget we have. Before the season started, I predicted we'd finish 8th, we are 9th at the moment. Short of a sugar daddy turning up, it'll be the same again next season. And the same reason Fev will never get promoted unless a Beaumont turns up. Read on RL forum that Ken Davy has put £12m into Giants and even Lenagan had put £6m into Wigan.

Just read it's the last season of the Middle 8s, that will shake things up.

Archived