Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gerrumonside ref

FIFA World Cup 2018

4 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Don't want to break it to you but loads of games are earlier than this? The opener is at 4pm?

England games are luckily all reasonably timed.

7 hours ahead. :)

23 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Based on the performance last night by what was largely a second string England side against Costa Rica I'm more hopeful. 

I'm a bit like a kid when it comes to the World Cup. This is probably the first time I'm going in not expecting anything of us. Any time I get excited, I just think of Iceland in 2016. 

I do think Southgate has a better long term plan than previous England managers. I know one person involved in football (a performance analyst for Liverpool FC) and he's been raving about Southgate since he was under 21s coach. 

I found this video really interesting and saddening. Suggests to me that the big players care far more about their club games and that in the past they've all known they weren't playing the right way. Perhaps not having any really big stars will benefit us as it allows freedom for Southgate to play how he wants. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MattSantos said:

I can't wait - love a world cup. 1st games start at 8pm for me so bonzaroo!

7 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Don't want to break it to you but loads of games are earlier than this? The opener is at 4pm?

England games are luckily all reasonably timed.

The clue is in the highlighted bit

29 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm a bit like a kid when it comes to the World Cup. This is probably the first time I'm going in not expecting anything of us. Any time I get excited, I just think of Iceland in 2016. 

I do think Southgate has a better long term plan than previous England managers. I know one person involved in football (a performance analyst for Liverpool FC) and he's been raving about Southgate since he was under 21s coach. 

I found this video really interesting and saddening. Suggests to me that the big players care far more about their club games and that in the past they've all known they weren't playing the right way. Perhaps not having any really big stars will benefit us as it allows freedom for Southgate to play how he wants. 

I saw that video and it made me sad and rather angry to be honest. Me and my friends were discussing this yesterday how basically the Premier League gives English players an inflated sense of importance. Most players in the prem would never command the wages they do in the other top European Leagues and this prevents us from being an exporting football nation. Henderson is a prime example for me in the current crop of players. We've been sorely exposed in tournaments for the past 15 years by "big names" who can neither work together or play together, and frankly aren't good enough on top of that. Why would any European club sign an English player with 50k a week plus wage demands when they could sign a (insert country here) for half that amount.

The rivalry thing is even more stupid when you look at Spain. A national team essentially made up of 2 (3 if one includes Atletico) of the bitterest rivals won 2 euros and a World Cup. 

If I'd have had the inclination these players felt that way I'd have publicly expressed it and dropped them. Thankfully I don't get that impression from this group of players (or for that matter the current English RL lads). My one concern for the squad is still Welbeck; not convinced he should play for Arsenal nevermind England. Loftus-Cheek has looked great and Rashford is probably our only player who can beat an opponent 1v1 on skill alone.

Hopeful is how I feel for the World cup - Germany or Brazil in the Quarter finals will be a big ask but they are beatable especially by what could be then a fearlessly plucky but battle hardened England team.

47 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Should we make the World Cup sweepstake a new and separate thread?  

Or is there a way of doing things already?

Separate thread, or everything will get jumbled up.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

I saw that video and it made me sad and rather angry to be honest. Me and my friends were discussing this yesterday how basically the Premier League gives English players an inflated sense of importance. Most players in the prem would never command the wages they do in the other top European Leagues and this prevents us from being an exporting football nation. Henderson is a prime example for me in the current crop of players. We've been sorely exposed in tournaments for the past 15 years by "big names" who can neither work together or play together, and frankly aren't good enough on top of that. Why would any European club sign an English player with 50k a week plus wage demands when they could sign a (insert country here) for half that amount.

The rivalry thing is even more stupid when you look at Spain. A national team essentially made up of 2 (3 if one includes Atletico) of the bitterest rivals won 2 euros and a World Cup. 

If I'd have had the inclination these players felt that way I'd have publicly expressed it and dropped them. Thankfully I don't get that impression from this group of players (or for that matter the current English RL lads). My one concern for the squad is still Welbeck; not convinced he should play for Arsenal nevermind England. Loftus-Cheek has looked great and Rashford is probably our only player who can beat an opponent 1v1 on skill alone.

Hopeful is how I feel for the World cup - Germany or Brazil in the Quarter finals will be a big ask but they are beatable especially by what could be then a fearlessly plucky but battle hardened England team.

The one bit of hope I carry is that we're well overdue a good run in a tournament. The nature of football is that luck plays a far bigger part than in many other team sports. Wales weren't and will never be in the top 4 countries in Europe but they had a great tournament in 2016.

For my generation 1990 is remembered as the tournament but what is rarely remembered is that 1988 was our worst performance results wise in a major championship. 

We have a truly shocking record against the big teams in major tournaments especially when it matters. Since 1966 the best we have beaten are Spain in 1996 and Belgium in 1990. It'd be nice to beat a real contender when it matters. 

Edited by Maximus Decimus
  • Like 2

I hope, but just don’t expect anymore . Winning a knockout game would be a huge thing and improvement when you look at our record . You just don’t want the usual what ifs ... what if he hadn’t been sent off , what if we hadn’t missed those penalties etc etc . So many of them over n over . I can’t see past Germany , they just do .

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

But club football is more important, in England at least, than internationals. International football is an afterthought for most fans.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

50 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

But club football is more important, in England at least, than internationals. International football is an afterthought for most fans.

I was an adult before I discovered this and it still saddens me now. For me England was always the pinnacle but then I was never what you'd call a diehard Evertonian. 

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I think for the top 5 or 6 it probably is. But for players of teams outside of that bracket ie. Vardy, Maguire, even for a number of the Man City and Spurs players in clubs that aren't yet European giants, International tournemant football is still the pinnacle of their career. Plus I think it helps in this team that there are far less "big personalities" in the way that Ferdinand, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney and Hart have been. 

Agree on the fans views of international football, but a significant chunk of Football fans are also idiots. I also think the "only play at Wembley" mentality has affected this apathy. In the questionnaire I was sent after the game last night, most of the questions seemed to be about hosting England games away from Wembley and why we don't go to Wembley now.

I think they've seen the light.

a stats company has done some very hard sums with lots of squiggles and worked out we have a 4% chance of winning it ... below Peru who have a 5% chance . Apparently Brazil have twice as much chance as any other side

19 minutes ago, DavidM said:

a stats company has done some very hard sums with lots of squiggles and worked out we have a 4% chance of winning it ... below Peru who have a 5% chance . Apparently Brazil have twice as much chance as any other side

Stats like this are silly. It sounds like a terrible number but then you realise virtually all the teams are less than 10%. After all, if all things were equal each side would have a 3% chance of winning. 

It also doesn't factor in things like climate or big tournament experience. For me Germany are favourites because Russia has a similar climate and they've done it all before. They'll also have a few games to get up to speed. 

As good as Brazil are, they lost 7-1 at home in their last WC game and didn't get out the groups in the most recent Copa America. 

Edited by Maximus Decimus

Just now, Maximus Decimus said:

Stats like this are silly. It sounds like a terrible number but then you realise virtually all the teams are less than 10%. After all, if all things were equal each side would have a 3% chance of winning. 

It also doesn't factor in things like climate or big tournament experience. For me Germany are favourites because Russia has a similar climate and they've done it all before. They'll also have a few games to get up to speed. 

Agreed , keeps a few people in a job and fish shops in paper 

So far my interest in the world cup is limited to barely anything beyond this thread on this forum...

I have little or nowt beyond that. I doubt very much I'll watch the opening game and I'm not even sure I'll watch the England game.

I'm sure I'll waken up a little if England surprise us by getting beyond the group stages.....

Still.... sales of lager will go through the roof

Edited by Robin Evans

I used to do a competition in which teams were put in groups according to the rankings.  People would then have to pick one team from each of the four groups and one wild card.

People who thought they knew about football typically did worse than people who did not, as the rankings were better than people gave them credit for.

Back then, people would dismiss USA's high ranking and fancy Serbia who looked really good.  USA would then reach the knock-outs and Serbia and Uruguay would not.   The host would always hugely over perform (Russia getting to the semi should not be a shock).  Germany will do very well.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Bob wins the "Most Obvious World Cup Statement" Award ?

The other good rule of thumb that used to work was that France and Spain will disappoint.

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

The other good rule of thumb that used to work was that France and Spain will disappoint.

Normally with a training ground bust up

• Like 1

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Latest odds c/o Ladbrokes:

Brazil 4/1

Germany 9/2

France 6/1

Spain 6/1

Argentina 9/1

Belgium 10/1

England 14/1

Portugal & Uruguay 25/1

Colombia & Croatia 33/1

Poland & Russia 40/1

Sweden, Denmark and Mexico 80/1

Switzerland 100/1

Senegal 125/1

Peru, Japan, Serbia, Nigeria, Iceland, Egypt 150/1

Costa Rica, Morocco, S. Korea 250/1

Australia, Tunisia 500/1

Iran 750/1

Panama & Saudi Arabia 1000/1

Supporting Rugby League since 1971

3 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I used to do a competition in which teams were put in groups according to the rankings.  People would then have to pick one team from each of the four groups and one wild card.

People who thought they knew about football typically did worse than people who did not, as the rankings were better than people gave them credit for.

Back then, people would dismiss USA's high ranking and fancy Serbia who looked really good.  USA would then reach the knock-outs and Serbia and Uruguay would not.   The host would always hugely over perform (Russia getting to the semi should not be a shock).  Germany will do very well.

Russia qualifying from the group would be a shock. It's their worst team in history.

This is based on a level playing field and no cheating.