Sign in to follow this  
Gerrumonside ref

FIFA World Cup 2018

2 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

But we have to learn to beat the big sides when it matters. There's no reason we can't. 

As you've said before, soccer is an odd sport in that it's about margins and luck in a way that other sports usually aren't. England could have been 3-0 up at half time and it wouldn't have been wrong; Croatia could have won 3-1 by full time and it would have reflected play. In the end a single goal in extra time splits them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Everyone can cancel their barbecues for Sunday then. Can't help but feel people were planning ahead of Croatia. 

I don't believe in fate but they jinxed it! 

Indeed it was really unnerving all that . Ultimately you must take your chances that come for one , be tight at the back for two , and have a midfield to slow it down and keep the ball and control for three . If we can learn from experience and one or two to get in that centre area to link our forwards and improve technically we can nudge on . We weren’t really a SF side right now so that’s a plus . They had a midfield from Real , Inter , Barca and Atletico

Edited by DavidM

My opinion? After I went to Croatia last year? Ungrateful baastards!

Seriously though, England were better team by far but need to learn (which they will) how to get the foot to the throat of the opposition when needed. I'm very optimistic for the future though, it's possibly another false dawn but from where I'm standing the situation looks very good.

A guy started talking to me during half time about Leeds upcoming season... I said not only can I not be doing with Leeds United, I have absolutely no interest in club football whatsoever. He was a bit confused.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

England lack a midfield general who could have calmed things down in the second half when the passing fell apart and panic set in.

It’s the single biggest issue affecting the progress of the team.

Hopefully someone can emerge.

Other than that the England team and management have much to be proud about.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

My opinion? After I went to Croatia last year? Ungrateful baastards!

Seriously though, England were better team by far but need to learn (which they will) how to get the foot to the throat of the opposition when needed. I'm very optimistic for the future though, it's possibly another false dawn but from where I'm standing the situation looks very good.

A guy started talking to me during half time about Leeds upcoming season... I said not only can I not be doing with Leeds United, I have absolutely no interest in club football whatsoever. He was a bit confused.

I don't agree.

England weren't the better team. Croatia have significantly more talent in midfield and it showed. England struggled to play with fluency, keep hold of the ball and move it forward effectively and quickly. Croatia deserved their win.  Cracking free kick from Trippier. There were chances/half chances, particularly  in the first half; they needed another goal.... Sad, but there's rugby tomorrow night.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, longboard said:

I don't agree.

England weren't the better team. Croatia have significantly more talent in midfield and it showed. England struggled to play with fluency, keep hold of the ball and move it forward effectively and quickly. Croatia deserved their win.  Cracking free kick from Trippier. There were chances/half chances, particularly  in the first half; they needed another goal.... Sad, but there's rugby tomorrow night.

Mate, Croatia were totally ordinary, they got a few half chances and made the best of them. It was only England's lack of experience that let them into the game. England looked in total control at HT and could have and should have been 2 or 3 up.

Sadly they will probably be out of their depth on Sunday against the French. But I'll be working anyway (that's one dilemma solved at least)

Edited by Johnoco

At about 35 to 40 mins. in 1st half, we seemed to revert to the England of old, and we couldn't snap out of it. Lost the momentum, pace, concentration, kept putting our own goalie under pressure.  Shame Sterling went off cos he could have earned us lots of corners and free kicks within the strike zone. 

Brilliant performance over in the comp and a loss does not invalidate the praise heaped on players and manager. Work in progress, sure,progress like we saw in the first half, but not the second. This is the beginning, not the end.

• Like 4

Four legs good - two legs bad

England were marginally better in the first half.

I'm not gutted. I think some progress was made but we were found out by a half decent side. We went much further than most of us would have predicted.

In the media the past week or so saw far too much of the old arrogant English attitude returning.

12 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

England were marginally better in the first half.

I'm not gutted. I think some progress was made but we were found out by a half decent side. We went much further than most of us would have predicted.

In the media the past week or so saw far too much of the old arrogant English attitude returning.

What arrogance was this? Getting excited by a good side?

Same old England i'm afraid.

Beat Tunisia in the last minute and Tunisia wouldnt survive in the PL.

Hammered Panama who are a League 1 team at best

Threw the game against Belgium to get the easier draw

Could only beat a decent Colombian team on penaties

Beat a very poor Sweden team that forgot to name any player that knew how to play in the opposition half

Finally came up against a good Croatian team and failed .... yet we consider this a success!

• Like 2

Just now, Johnoco said:

What arrogance was this? Getting excited by a good side?

Certain pundits underestimating or denigrating the opposition. Martin Keown was typical of the worst.

OK, it wasn't quite as bad as in previous years. A sense of perspective seems alien to many England fans.

2 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Beat a very poor Sweden team that forgot to name any player that knew how to play in the opposition half

Finally came up against a good Croatian team and failed .... yet we consider this a success!

Wrong mate, it was a success. It was a WC. Why are we experts in running down our national sides even when they are good?

I don't care  a monkeys for the PL or club sides but will defintiely keep a keen interest in England from now on.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mister Ting said:

Certain pundits underestimating or denigrating the opposition. Martin Keown was typical of the worst.

OK, it wasn't quite as bad as in previous years. A sense of perspective seems alien to many England fans.

No, a sense of perspective was always kept.

And by not 'quite as bad' you mean ';reaching the semi final of a WC for the first time since 1990'? That sort of not as bad?

PS..are you Scottish?

Just now, Johnoco said:

No, a sense of perspective was always kept.

And by not 'quite as bad' you mean ';reaching the semi final of a WC for the first time since 1990'? That sort of not as bad?

PS..are you Scottish?

Perhaps you kept a sense of perspective, however many started to revert to type, as did the team in the second half.

I'm British.

2 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Perhaps you kept a sense of perspective, however many started to revert to type, as did the team in the second half.

I'm British.

The team lost the game by lack of  experience. Did Croatia win it on historical grounds?

20 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Lasted longer in a World Cup than Australia. :tongue:

• Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

The team lost the game by lack of  experience. Did Croatia win it on historical grounds?

I agree with your first point. Are you taking something out of context with the question?

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Lasted longer in a World Cup than Australia. :tongue:

To be fair though, Australia had a difficult group. France, Denmark and Peru all showed themselves to be good sides. 

3 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

I agree with your first point. Are you taking something out of context with the question?

You're suggesting England lost by virtue of past failures. Thus did Croatia win because of their lack of such experiences? 

I think England will be back!!

6 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

You're suggesting England lost by virtue of past failures. Thus did Croatia win because of their lack of such experiences? 

I think Croatia have been very successful relative to their short history.

I think they learnt from Euro 16 when they lost to Portugal when fancied after beating Spain. This time after winning the group over Argentina they seemed determined to reach the final. In each knockout round they were a goal behind yet fought back.

I think this mental toughness allied to their natural skill and the inclusion of proven winners such as Modric made them extremely difficult to beat. 

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

I didn't suggest anything of the kind. You're looking for the slightest hint of anything that could be remotely related to negativity.

Croatia haven't had long enough to have much in the way of past experiences.

Are you Scottish??? ?

1 minute ago, Niels said:

I think Croatia have been very successful relative to their short history.

I think they learnt from Euro 16 when they lost to Portugal when fancied after beating Spain. This time after winning the group over Argentina they seemed determined to reach the final. In each knockout round they were a goal behind yet fought back.

I think this mental toughness allied to their natural skill and the inclusion of proven winners such as Modric made them extremely difficult to beat. 

And yet they've comparatively miniscule history to draw on?

I don't honestly think they were any great shakes and England should have killed them off in the first half. That's the way it goes though.