Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gerrumonside ref

FIFA World Cup 2018

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Southgate deserves a lot of credit. I think he’s identified a while ago that we don’t have any real top quality creativity available to open the best defences; that the likes of Shelvey, Wilshere et al wouldn’t cut the mustard at this level. So he found a way for this team to play together to their strengths and to beat sides in a different way; set pieces and then defend well. It’s been successful on a whole up to the SF but didn’t work against good quality defenders found in the Croatian and Belgium teams who then had top quality midfielders to open up our own defence. It’s the difference for me; we have no genuine creative quality anywhere in the league in the middle of the park to open up top class defences and dominate the ball. We need to rectify that ASAP to compete against the very best sides in the world.

For me this suggests that we have problems in our footballing culture as well as wider culture. 

As many on here know, I teach children and very few nowadays are athletic. I can't comment on other countries but I suspect the proportion is a lot lower when compared to some others. 

A good example of this is the abject failure of Scotland football over the last 20 years. As much as we like to laugh, they are very similar to us culturally. We are able to overcome their issues mostly by nature of the fact that we have 10 times the population. 

I was going to post about how little has been written about the remarkable achievement of Croatia. They are smaller than Scotland yet have consistently produced good teams over the last 20 years. This isn't one lucky golden generation (as Belgium are suspected to be) but at least two (1998, 2018) with a team capable of knocking England out in 2008. 

Imagine if in the last 20 years Scotland or ROI had been in a World Cup semi-final and a World Cup final. Possibly only Uruguay can compare on a population to success ratio. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

For me this suggests that we have problems in our footballing culture as well as wider culture. 

As many on here know, I teach children and very few nowadays are athletic. I can't comment on other countries but I suspect the proportion is a lot lower when compared to some others. 

A good example of this is the abject failure of Scotland football over the last 20 years. As much as we like to laugh, they are very similar to us culturally. We are able to overcome their issues mostly by nature of the fact that we have 10 times the population. 

I was going to post about how little has been written about the remarkable achievement of Croatia. They are smaller than Scotland yet have consistently produced good teams over the last 20 years. This isn't one lucky golden generation (as Belgium are suspected to be) but at least two (1998, 2018) with a team capable of knocking England out in 2008. 

Imagine if in the last 20 years Scotland or ROI had been in a World Cup semi-final and a World Cup final. Possibly only Uruguay can compare on a population to success ratio. 

I agree with that although, curiously, Croatia have never beaten Scotland. I was shocked at that when I checked although the couple of games I attended felt like defeats because they qualified at our expense.

The cultural aspect is crucial, I think, when it comes to the development of skills and technique. It is so frustrating to hear the comment that footballers are born, not made, or the belief that established players shouldn't have to work to improve their footballing skills. I think this stems from the time when British football dominated (pre-war) and players just emerged, as if by magic, from tough, working-class communities.

Football is just like any other activity where physical technique is required. You hear of top tennis players and golfers endlessly working to improve their skills, and I suspect that is the case in many other footballing cultures.

England have done tremendously well in this competition, and the players deserve the praise that is being lavished on them by their more reasonable countrymen. But they and the upcoming talent should not rest on their laurels. They have to realise that they came up short, are still some distance from their ultimate goal and strive to improve further.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway, I'm looking forward o today's final.

I feel as though I should support Croatia as the representative of Europe's smaller nations - and the Croatians I've met at games have been really great people - but then France are our near neighbours and friends.

I just hope the football is as good as it promises to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Methven Hornet said:

Anyway, I'm looking forward o today's final.

I feel as though I should support Croatia as the representative of Europe's smaller nations - and the Croatians I've met at games have been really great people - but then France are our near neighbours and friends.

I just hope the football is as good as it promises to be.

I'll be wanting France to win. 

A) because they deserve too and

B ) because watching Croatia is a bit too raw. Yes they deservedly won but we were inches from being in their place! 

Edited by Maximus Decimus
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Methven Hornet said:

I agree with that although, curiously, Croatia have never beaten Scotland. I was shocked at that when I checked although the couple of games I attended felt like defeats because they qualified at our expense.

The cultural aspect is crucial, I think, when it comes to the development of skills and technique. It is so frustrating to hear the comment that footballers are born, not made, or the belief that established players shouldn't have to work to improve their footballing skills. I think this stems from the time when British football dominated (pre-war) and players just emerged, as if by magic, from tough, working-class communities.

Football is just like any other activity where physical technique is required. You hear of top tennis players and golfers endlessly working to improve their skills, and I suspect that is the case in many other footballing cultures.

England have done tremendously well in this competition, and the players deserve the praise that is being lavished on them by their more reasonable countrymen. But they and the upcoming talent should not rest on their laurels. They have to realise that they came up short, are still some distance from their ultimate goal and strive to improve further.

One of the reasons I get so annoyed by the writing off of England's performances is that they have taken steps to write much of what is wrong with English football. I've commented on here that I know one person in high level football and he's been raving about what Southgate was doing since he was in the U21s. 

We came up short because we didn't have good enough players but at least we looked like a team and they knew how they wanted to play. It was a world away from Iceland 2016.

I've thought for a long time that the UK in general doesn't produce a certain type of creative athlete in any sport. Whilst still true, I've changed over the years about how important this is. Andy Murray, England RU and our Olympic team have demonstrated that you can achieve the ultimate success without the best technical ability. You just have to play to your strengths and develop a way to win against the best. Tiki-taka is the most technical and attractive form of football but it isn't the most effective anymore. 

England can win a major tournament or at least do better than 1990 and now if they continue to improve from here. After all, we could've won this one; if they'd played the tournament 10 times from the semi-finals we probably would have won one. 

I doubt very much we'll ever be the best technical side in the world but we could become one of the most effective teams. We do regularly beat teams more with more true technical ability than us, it is only wins against big teams when it matter that elude us. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly sour grapes on my behalf but I've absolutely no interest in who wins now. Its on in the works canteen but I won't be watching. I've really enjoyed the WC but can't be glad for someone else.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Possibly sour grapes on my behalf but I've absolutely no interest in who wins now. Its on in the works canteen but I won't be watching. I've really enjoyed the WC but can't be glad for someone else.

 

I would be exactly the same but fortunately I got France in the sweep at work. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Allez les Wiltshire Rhino!!!

And how sweet that it was an own goal from that cheating Croatian tw@ that put France in front.

  • Like 1

         SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

         SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

         SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

 

                                                                      All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Croatia starting stronger. I suspected before the England game that maybe Croatia preferred playing the bigger teams and had struggled against teams that park the bus. 

Long way to go yet. 

France can park a bus with the best of them. I'd have preferred to see Croatia take the lead and make France chase the game.


Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmmph!

Not a bad equaliser I suppose. :mad:

  • Haha 1

         SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

         SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

         SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

 

                                                                      All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woo hoo!

First WC Final VAR penalty.

France 2 Croats 1.


         SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

         SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

         SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

 

                                                                      All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Fantastic!

Ner ner ne nerr nerr!


         SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

         SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

         SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

 

                                                                      All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like the look of the ref, looks like any sh*t from a player and he'll deck him.

  • Haha 1

         SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

         SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

         SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

 

                                                                      All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

One of the reasons I get so annoyed by the writing off of England's performances is that they have taken steps to write much of what is wrong with English football. I've commented on here that I know one person in high level football and he's been raving about what Southgate was doing since he was in the U21s. 

We came up short because we didn't have good enough players but at least we looked like a team and they knew how they wanted to play. It was a world away from Iceland 2016.

I've thought for a long time that the UK in general doesn't produce a certain type of creative athlete in any sport. Whilst still true, I've changed over the years about how important this is. Andy Murray, England RU and our Olympic team have demonstrated that you can achieve the ultimate success without the best technical ability. You just have to play to your strengths and develop a way to win against the best. Tiki-taka is the most technical and attractive form of football but it isn't the most effective anymore. 

England can win a major tournament or at least do better than 1990 and now if they continue to improve from here. After all, we could've won this one; if they'd played the tournament 10 times from the semi-finals we probably would have won one. 

I doubt very much we'll ever be the best technical side in the world but we could become one of the most effective teams. We do regularly beat teams more with more true technical ability than us, it is only wins against big teams when it matter that elude us. 

I remember noting the success of the youth teams, and I know that this wave tends to continue into senior years.  It has made previous English success foreseeable.  The truth is that I did not dare to believe it.


"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't help thinking England wouldn't have been able to live with either of these teams this afternoon.

For a Girlyball game it's very entertaining and being played at a terrific pace.


         SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

         SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

         SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

 

                                                                      All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woo f***ing hoo!

3-1...get in there!

  • Like 1

         SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

         SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

         SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

 

                                                                      All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Old Frightful said:

Woo f***ing hoo!

3-1...get in there!

Meh!

Still 33 years since they won the big one.


Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ullman said:

Meh!

Still 33 years since they won the big one.

Haven't you got any bicycles to watch?


         SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

         SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

         SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

 

                                                                      All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hahaha hahaha!

4-1 Mbappe!

Those Hanson boys could certainly predict the future.

 

  • Like 1

         SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

         SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

         SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

 

                                                                      All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Old Frightful said:

Hahaha hahaha!

4-1 Mbappe!

Those Hanson boys could certainly predict the future.

 

Money in the bag I think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my word...wtf?

4-2, how good were they saying that goalkeeper was?


         SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

         SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

         SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

 

                                                                      All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...