Women's State of Origin - MATCH THREAD

NSW coach Ben Cross has denied suggestions of following Queensland's lead with an Origin eligibility loophole after selecting New Zealand international Nita Maynard in the Blues squad for the upcoming Holden State of Origin clash on June 22.

Maynard qualifies for the Blues under residency rules despite being born in New Zealand and playing for the Kiwi Ferns at last year's World Cup.

Her selection comes as the Maroons picked Kiwi Ferns forward Maitua Feterika in their squad last week after she moved from New Zealand to Queensland earlier in the season.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/12/nsw-womens-state-of-origin-team-named/

NSW Women's State of Origin team

1. Sam Bremner (Helensburgh Tigers)
2. Taleena Simon (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
3. Corban McGregor (Cronulla-Caringbah Sharks)
4. Isabelle Kelly (CRL Newcastle)
5. Nakia Davis-Welsh (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
6. Lavina O'Mealey (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
7. Maddison Studdon (c) (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
8. Elianna Walton (vc) (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
9. Rebecca Riley (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
10. Simaima Taufa (Mounties)
11. Talesha Quinn (Cronulla-Caringbah Sharks)
12. Kezie Apps (Helensburgh Tigers)
13. Vanessa Foliaki (Brisbane Easts)

Interchange:

14. Nita Maynard (Cronulla-Caringbah Sharks)
15. Rebecca Young (CRL Newcastle)
16. Holli Wheeler (Cronulla-Caringbah Sharks)
17. Hannah Southwell (CRL Newcastle)
18. Quincy Dodd (Cronulla-Caringbah Sharks)

Six debutantes have been selected in Jason Hetherington's Queensland squad for the upcoming women's Holden State of Origin at North Sydney Oval on June 22.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/08/six-debutants-named-in-queensland-womens-origin-team/

Queensland Maroons (in alphabetical order): Chelsea Baker, Heather Ballinger, Annette Brander, Brittany Breayley, Ali Brigginshaw, Karina Brown, Frieda Faulato Seu, Maitua Feterika, Tazmin Gray, Stephanie Hancock, Tallisha Harden, Kody House, Amelia Kuk, Rona Peters, Rhiannon Revell-Blair, Mariah Storch, Zahara Temara, Meg Ward.

• 2 weeks later...

The Queensland lineup:

1 Chelsea Baker, 2 Karina Brown (c), 3 Amelia Kuk, 4 Meg Ward, 5 Rhiannon Revell-Blair, 6 Zahara Temara, 7 Ali Brigginshaw, 8 Rona Peters, 9 Brittany Breayley (vc), 10 Heather Ballinger, 11 Tazmin Gray, 12 Maitua Feterika, 13 Annette Brander.

Interchange: 14 Mariah Storch, 15 Steph Hancock, 16 Kody House, 17 Tallisha Harden,

18 Frieda Seu.

Who'll win? I think the Blues, despite the absence of Caitlin Moran. The move of Lavina O'Mealey into the 6 jumper should cover most of Moran's absence. O'Mealey's WC performances were mainly in the 9 or 14 but she showed good skill set and defensive skills. I also think the Blues will have a size advantage in the centres. McGregor and Kelly should be able to power over Kuk and Ward and hopefully release Nakia Davis-Welsh down the sideline. Davis-Welch was excellent in her WC games at FB so I think the Maroons may try to keep the kicks away from her. It's not coincidence that, of the Top 10 tries of the Women's WC, 3 of them feature Davis-Welch.

Thanks for the updates!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

43 minutes ago, Graham said:

Ali Brigginshaw (Qld) was outstanding, bursting with confidence and skill.

Another key player in the game who made the difference with her ability to find a gap and power over the line twice was Isabelle Kelly (NSW)

Kelly's got a killer instinct for finishing. Quick, too.

It looks like Across the Tasman will be making the game available, so I look forward to watching it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country".

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Let's see if this link works...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived