Shaw Cross

I went to see Skirlaugh v Shaw Cross yesterday, I was saddened to see Shaw Cross only had 10 players. 

Despite the lack of numbers the Dewsbury side had a real go and scored some nice tries. The 6 looked a classy player for them

I went to Shaw Cross away and despite Skirlaugh winning both ties convincingly on paper the Shaw Cross side have played some good rugby and troubled Skirlaugh, always playing the game in good spirit with no malice the Shaw Cross club needs commending for sticking at it, I’m not sure on the exact reason behind lack of first team numbers but I’m sure the club will keep going and come back 

All the best for the rest of the season 

On 6/17/2018 at 8:33 AM, TheDuke said:

I went to see Skirlaugh v Shaw Cross yesterday, I was saddened to see Shaw Cross only had 10 players. 

Despite the lack of numbers the Dewsbury side had a real go and scored some nice tries. The 6 looked a classy player for them

I went to Shaw Cross away and despite Skirlaugh winning both ties convincingly on paper the Shaw Cross side have played some good rugby and troubled Skirlaugh, always playing the game in good spirit with no malice the Shaw Cross club needs commending for sticking at it, I’m not sure on the exact reason behind lack of first team numbers but I’m sure the club will keep going and come back 

All the best for the rest of the season 

Hi Duke,

Thanks for your kind words. The lads copped a hiding, as you'd expect with 10 players but can be proud of their efforts in my opinion. Just the fact that they turned up with such numbers is testament to the heart of those lads that made the journey. I'm very hopeful that this is a one off rather than a sign of things to come.

We're doing it tough at the moment for a number of reasons. One being that we appointed a new coach in the off-season, and that didn't work out unfortunately. We had to make a really tough decision to part company with him and some players decided to leave the club to show loyalty to him. Other reasons being a lack of interest in playing because the results aren't going our way (Believe it or not, we had 21 players turn out for our A team on Friday night, but apparently they all work on a Saturday all of a sudden) and a genuinely long list of injuries.

We'll see the season through and hopefully get a good influx of players from our current under 18's team. A lot of them have had a taste of open age rugby already, but want to concentrate on the 18's for this season. We're very much in a rebuilding phase, but as a club we're not frightened to throw the kids in. If we can keep our coach on board after this season I'm sure he'll be a big pull for the youngsters too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 2:44 PM, beefy1 said:

Hi Duke,

Thanks for your kind words. The lads copped a hiding, as you'd expect with 10 players but can be proud of their efforts in my opinion. Just the fact that they turned up with such numbers is testament to the heart of those lads that made the journey. I'm very hopeful that this is a one off rather than a sign of things to come.

We're doing it tough at the moment for a number of reasons. One being that we appointed a new coach in the off-season, and that didn't work out unfortunately. We had to make a really tough decision to part company with him and some players decided to leave the club to show loyalty to him. Other reasons being a lack of interest in playing because the results aren't going our way (Believe it or not, we had 21 players turn out for our A team on Friday night, but apparently they all work on a Saturday all of a sudden) and a genuinely long list of injuries.

We'll see the season through and hopefully get a good influx of players from our current under 18's team. A lot of them have had a taste of open age rugby already, but want to concentrate on the 18's for this season. We're very much in a rebuilding phase, but as a club we're not frightened to throw the kids in. If we can keep our coach on board after this season I'm sure he'll be a big pull for the youngsters too.

Speaking of your ex coach he played against us for Thornhill last weekend. Game was in the balance until he came on and unfortunately we struggled to handle him. So we have you to thank for that ??

On a serious note massive of Cross to go there, and I genuinely believe that effort gave your guys the belief to beat Milford last weekend. great effort all round

Archived