Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

23 Jun: Test Match: England v New Zealand (Denver)

England v New Zealand (Denver)  

160 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 13 points or more
  2. 2. Guess the attendance

• Less than 5,000
    • 5,000 to 9,999
    • 10,000 to 14,999
    • 15,000 to 19,999
    • 20,000 to 24,999
    • 25,000 to 29,999
    • 30,000 to 40,000
    • Over 40,000

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/06/18 at 20:10

7 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Your post is ram full of them.  Have you read it?

Yes. Although I would suggest you have not.

I have issues with our international planning in the past in that we have not capitalised on good opportunities. That's separate to yesterday's test.

We are in agreement that yesterday was a big positive.

Twitter: @TrylineBlog 
Latest Blog: Super League 2020 Preview - Infographic special! - https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2020/01/2020-super-league-season-preview.html

1 hour ago, headtackle said:

Agreed - key thing now is follow up. Can't just play a game, leave and expect fans to retain interest - we have done that enough in the UK.

Would have thought your average american punter would have enjoyed last nights fare - a bit of everything

TV timings worked well - 9pm kick off rounded off the day nicely

First thing that sprung to mind fron your first paragraph was the way the NFL have marketed the game over here - gradually playing more games (think even an SL game in the USA would be a good idea as a follow up, and maybe try to work up to three games a year in the States).

TV timing-wise i agree it was a nice time as a UK viewer, but the only criticism i have of it was that in the middle of an England football World Cup campaign doesn't seem ideal to me, although i appreciate the organisers may well have been limited in when to plan the game for - it's easy for a game to be overshadowed if there's a big event going on. As a football fan myself by the time i'd watched what was a pretty exciting Germany-Sweden game, i was pretty flippant about the rugby, which normally isn't like me.

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2018 at 12:53 AM, Bring back GB said:

Over 18,000 tickets sold according to Steve Mascord on Twitter. Should be well over 20,000 on the day hopefully.

Attendance 19,320  ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Allora said:

Penalty count was 10-3 for England from the English referee.

Sam Burgess should have been penalised more than three times for third man in two or three times, dissent and a couple of obvious high shots to the head.

He really is a mug on legs.

Yes a 10-3 penalty count.

Bur surely as an avid follower of the game I cannot believe that you missed the 3 penalties when NZ kicked the ball out on the full, the head shot by JWH and the stamping on the hand by Luke. 

Edited by Adelaide Tiger
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

If Australia v Tonga in New York happens and delivers good-looking numbers, the NRL will fire all their current medical experts, hire a new mob who think that long-haul air flights are the latest innovation in sports conditioning... and pretend that yesterday's match in Denver never happened, so they can portray themselves as the innovators bringing the gospel of Rugby League to the USA.

Bring on the hate. Bloody Australia blah blah. Start winning a few games and then say what you like. We have one weekend during each season to get the international game on the front page. It started last year when England came down to Sydney. Get this going regularly where England plays on the Origin weekend against either NZ or Tonga. Get France a game as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Krzzystuff said:

anyone have any links for highlights from the Denver game by chance?

Highlights are not hard to find online but i realise they could be Geo blocked outside NZ, Australia & UK. 

I hoped the Kiwi's would win but expected England to win. The Kiwi's are rebuilding they have been weakened by previous poor coaching, player behavior scandals, international eligibility laws that allow switching countries in the same Calendar year,  NRL making it optional for clubs to release players and putting pressure on them not to play. So under the circumstances the KIwi's actually did OK just not enough experience at the back end of the second half.

Lady who sang the NZ anthem was terrible a recording would have been better.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=12077317

19,300 crowd was around the crowd level the game would have got in NZ or England

In the post game interview Sam Burgess said Russell Crowe and RZA from Wu-Tang Clan were at the game.... Wu-Tang Forever 

Edited by kiwis 13 6
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Yes a 10-3 penalty count.

Bur surely as an avid follower of the game I cannot believe that you missed the 3 penalties when NZ kicked the ball out on the full, the head shot by JWH and the stamping on the hand by Luke. 

That is a good shout, Thaler tried to let the game go, but there are five penalties he literally cannot ignore. Had one of our players acted like an animal and stood on an opponent I would have expected a higher penalty count against us.

Just hope the NRL can actually link up with the promoters, RFL, NZRL, RLIF etc. to develop a coordinated plan. If they do, we could easily have 3-4 complementary  rugby league events a year, spanning across the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just saw the highlights. A few good tries, but I suspect the altitude played a huge part. There were some lazy tackle attempts at times.

England game, English referee. I find that stupid and amateurish. I supposed it's been addressed at length before.

One question: How (or rather why) was Ryan Hall try awarded? In slow-motion, it looked like a clear dropped ball to me. It was so obvious to me that I even took a screen cap (see below).

ryanhall_try_notry.jpg

• Like 1

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

That angle wasn't looked at when the video ref awarded it for some reason. Took one look at it from another angle and awarded it and then the tv footage showed this one.

• Thanks 1

With respect to the game, I thought it was skilful, tough and entertaining. You could hear the gasps of the crowd during the collisions.

With respect to the attendance, would anyone be complaining if the game had been played in a 20k capacity stadium?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Vichyssoise said:

England game, English referee. I find that stupid and amateurish. I supposed it's been addressed at length before.

New Zealand video ref, I understand. I guess being a proper ref not a keyboard ref, he knew what he was doing.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Four legs good - two legs bad

30 minutes ago, Vichyssoise said:

Just saw the highlights. A few good tries, but I suspect the altitude played a huge part. There were some lazy tackle attempts at times.

One question: How (or rather why) was Ryan Hall try awarded? In slow-motion, it looked like a clear dropped ball to me. It was so obvious to me that I even took a screen cap (see below).

ryanhall_try_notry.jpg

Knock on for me too.

rldfsignature.jpg

Having sat back and thought about this for a couple of days, whilst the bile regarding the attendance was unfortunate, it was far from unexpected, so maybe I just need to let that one rest.

From my point of view, the opportunity to watch RL on BBC at 9pm on a Saturday night was unbelieveable, and we should be pushing to repeat that experience at every available opportunity. It was a decent game considering the unusual conditions, and from what I saw, the people in attendance really seemed to enjoy it.

On a weekend that saw England, NZ, Tonga, Samoa, PNG & Fiji all involved in terrific test match football, it breaks my heart to see the Aussies sat on their collectives arrises missing out on this feast of international football. To be honest, regardless of the views of some one-eyed Aussies on here, the Australian RL authorities should be ashamed of themselves. However, I know they won't be, as they have an upcoming navel gazing session called SOO coming up soon, and let's face it, that's far more important than international football, and securing the global future of the game.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JohnM said:

New Zealand video ref, I understand. I guess being a proper ref not a keyboard ref, he knew what he was doing.

Happy with non neutral refs, then, I suppose.

I'm not saying either refs were incompetent or biased on this occasion. Just that it's ridiculous. But it's like flogging a dead horse anyway.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

2 minutes ago, Vichyssoise said:

Happy with non neutral refs, then, I suppose.

I'm not saying either refs were incompetent or biased on this occasion. Just that it's ridiculous. But it's like flogging a dead horse anyway.

It's a favourite hobby horse on here mate. We don't just whinge when an Aussie refs Australia in Australia. The majority of us want neutral refs no matter who's playing or where full stop.

• Like 3

rldfsignature.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

From my point of view, the opportunity to watch RL on BBC at 9pm on a Saturday night was unbelieveable, and we should be pushing to repeat that experience at every available opportunity. It was a decent game considering the unusual conditions, and from what I saw, the people in attendance really seemed to enjoy it.

On a weekend that saw England, NZ, Tonga, Samoa, PNG & Fiji all involved in terrific test match football, it breaks my heart to see the Aussies sat on their collectives arrises missing out on this feast of international football. To be honest, regardless of the views of some one-eyed Aussies on here, the Australian RL authorities should be ashamed of themselves. However, I know they won't be, as they have an upcoming navel gazing session called SOO coming up soon, and let's face it, that's far more important than international football, and securing the global future of the game.

Agree with this.

On the Aussie side.  I know that people will point at the 80k crowd in SOO 2 and the quality of the game and say it is the pinnacle of RL but it misses the point massively.

Firstly, the quality of the action in the Samoa Tonga game and the Denver test were comparable to SOO - a few years ago there was a strong argument to say that both NSW and Queensland could defeat all the international teams but that is not the case any more as the quality gap at the top has closed (for numerous reasons).

But, more importantly, the emergence of the Pacific Islands teams as huge drawcards in International League and the possibilities that the Denver test opens shows that there is a gathering momentum in the international game that we all need to embrace otherwise it will be lost.

For the Australians, this should not be a binary choice.  Yes, let's have SOO and all that goes with it (I love it as well). But let's also have the Kangaroos playing on international weeks.

As I have said previously, the Kangaroos should be the best brand in world rugby, they should be showcasing the skill and athleticism of the Australian game to a world wide sporting public.  Yes, they will win a few games by a landslide but that hasn't done the All Blacks any harm in building their reputation and brand.

And for our Australian friends on here - this is not me moaning, this is me wishing that Australian Rugby league would take advantage of the opportunities that are being offered with the globalisation of sport... go for it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Could the NRLs reluctance to get behind this fixture and it being more a venture between RFL/NZRL be the reason no Aussie refs were present?

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Knock on for me too.

I was very surprised how quickly it was given. When they looked from behind it wasnt obvious either way, there was a hint of a bobble and you would have expected them to check all angles based on that, but it was just given straight away. Had they checked the side angle it would have been disallowed for sure.

• Like 1

Well I was bladdered on Saturday had a big session in town with some old rugby lads. Thought I'd recorded the game but I hadn't. Teach me to get bladdered. Anyone with a suggestion were I can watch it. I'm off the ale for a month now 

4 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

Well I was bladdered on Saturday had a big session in town with some old rugby lads. Thought I'd recorded the game but I hadn't. Teach me to get bladdered. Anyone with a suggestion were I can watch it. I'm off the ale for a month now 

Whole show is on BBC IPlayer

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, andyscoot said:

Could the NRLs reluctance to get behind this fixture and it being more a venture between RFL/NZRL be the reason no Aussie refs were present?

The video ref was an Aussie - Jarred Maxwell. Also, the Kiwi Touch Judge, Chris McMillan officiates in the NRL.