Luke Briscoe to Leeds

hrtbps

With only two fit half backs and one hooker, if you class Wildie as a 6 for the time being, were we to suffer an injury to one of those three I would gladly do a temporary swap Luke for Lilley or Dwyer, providing they are fit. Since Holmes got injured Luke hasn't been getting the same service and Misi is far better on the wing nowadays, so having the best possible combination in the pivots is far more important in the present climate.  

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Auntie Ruth said:

It might just be me, but, I can’t see a problem with him playing 2 games a week, he 24! Although he didnt look out of place last night, for me, he didnt break sweat, I would hope he’s fit enough to do another stint on Sunday! As for wrapping him up in cotton wool just in case, now that’s the joke! Get him in!!

Clubs have a 'duty of care' to their players. Having one play 4 games in 11 days when there are other options available, would likely fail to meet that responsibility.

9 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Clubs have a 'duty of care' to their players. Having one play 4 games in 11 days when there are other options available, would likely fail to meet that responsibility.

If he’s injury free, why not? The duty of care comes in when a player is carrying a knock and he’s having to play and how many times have we fielded players carrying a knock.....at a recent family funeral, I was talking to Neil Fox, who told me that he once played 5 games in 12 days, in the winter, between shifts, he biked it to Wakefield from Sharlston to play! My point is there’s a difference between fatigue and injury, Luke’s a 24 year old winger, fit and wanted by 2 clubs, surely he has a say whether he plays or not....get him on the field!

29 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

To play 4 games for the same club would be fine, but to be allowed to play for 2 different teams, shows how much of a farce DR is.

Was never meant to be used like this. 

HW

2 minutes ago, Havenwarrior said:

To play 4 games for the same club would be fine, but to be allowed to play for 2 different teams, shows how much of a farce DR is.

Was never meant to be used like this. 

HW

Even more weight to the duty of care responsibility......

8 minutes ago, Auntie Ruth said:

If he’s injury free, why not? The duty of care comes in when a player is carrying a knock and he’s having to play and how many times have we fielded players carrying a knock.....at a recent family funeral, I was talking to Neil Fox, who told me that he once played 5 games in 12 days, in the winter, between shifts, he biked it to Wakefield from Sharlston to play! My point is there’s a difference between fatigue and injury, Luke’s a 24 year old winger, fit and wanted by 2 clubs, surely he has a say whether he plays or not....get him on the field!

'Duty of care' also requires that the club protects the player from making wrong decisions that could harm his welfare.

Plenty of 'things' were OK 40 years ago that aren't today.

Last night for me Luke  looked worn out at times and a bit fed up but that was probably down to 2 things firstly too many games its not footy walking up and down inspecting the pitch for 90 minutes but Ryan Hall did not help he just would not pass the ball to him except on one occasion when he passed it along the floor certainly not a pair in the making be glad when he has gone to Hull KR they like some others teams seem to be spending like there is no tomorrow. Salary cap don’t make me laugh.

Looks like we will be relying more on Robbo in future once Luke goes but I’m sure he will come up trumps a total grafter Robbo.

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

'Duty of care' also requires that the club protects the player from making wrong decisions that could harm his welfare.

Plus, playing too much will invariably lead to poorer performances. For me, he shouldn’t play on Sunday.

1 hour ago, eltel said:

Last night for me Luke  looked worn out at times and a bit fed up but that was probably down to 2 things firstly too many games its not footy walking up and down inspecting the pitch for 90 minutes but Ryan Hall did not help he just would not pass the ball to him except on one occasion when he passed it along the floor certainly not a pair in the making be glad when he has gone to Hull KR they like some others teams seem to be spending like there is no tomorrow. Salary cap don’t make me laugh.

Looks like we will be relying more on Robbo in future once Luke goes but I’m sure he will come up trumps a total grafter Robbo.

Never got a decent pass from Hall . On quite a few occasions he would have been on overlap if Hall had given it to him. Obviously an outsider to some of the team.

Looks like Luke is missing for the Rochdale match. with Walton to the centre, which should be OK. Should we play this new lad, if Duffy thinks he is ready , why not . 

4 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

What is the team?

The King Street Solicitors 18-Man Squad: Ian Hardman, Shaun Robinson, Misi Taulapapa, Anthony Thackeray, Scott Wheeldon, Keal Carlile, Richard Moore, John Davies, James Lockwood, Matty Wildie, Luke Cooper, Jason Walton, Josh Hardcastle, Brad Knowles, Sam Brooks, Jack Ormondroyd, Brad Dwyer, James Thornton.

4 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I know things are totally different now, gone are the days when you played for school in the morning and your town in the afternoon, all I’m saying is that he’s 24,  he should be tip top at this stage of the season so barring all the red tape I see no reason why he can’t play 2 games a week....wonder if this deal was struck before he ended his record equalling feat and they were just waiting for that to come to an end! Good luck to him wherever he ends up, he owes us nothing, he’s been a great player for Fev and I’m made up for him!

1 hour ago, haskey said:

It should cost Leeds, loads of dosh

Maybe it already has, who knows?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, jamescolin said:

Thanks eltel. looks like Thornton will get a game. Who would you leave out - Moore?

For me moore has three things he brings to the game firstly very strong a bit of a beast for short spells secondly he has a habit of dropping the ball and giving away silly penalties especially at crucial stages in a match and thirdly he certainly would not be in my first 17 providing we have alternatives always likely to get a yellow card.

Just like Leeds last night far too many slow forwards especially in hot weather todays rugby is about smaller stronger and faster players (eg bateman) once Leeds offload some of their unfit heavyweights they will be rewarded for it.

luke looked like he would of rather been anywhere else than playing for Leeds last night.  When he carries the ball for us he fights all tge way to the ground, last night he just surrendered at every tackle.  I know where he prefers to play!

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

orAye...……. I wonder when MC comes clean?

Methinks sooner than later or the season looks like it could go pear shaped.

As a point of interest, who would everyone rather have at Halifax next week, Luke or Dwyer? It would be nice to have both but I wonder if some sort of gentlemen's agreement has been struck up between the two clubs over Luke?

Dwyer all day for me I really rated him before yesterdays game he is a breath of fresh air with speed and very quick at the play the ball however I cannot see him wanting to move to fev he will probably get his chance at Leeds now coach has been sacked I also think there will be a bit of a clear out at Leeds especially some overweight unfit forwards.

Archived