Barrow Saturday

TMF

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ah bitter not limited to the fine hoppy UK libations it seems!  We will do quite well in SL, sure we will lose more often but even more often i predict we will be winners.  

55 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

You watched a different game to me then.

Oops DP,  what happened? Mea Culpa. Thanks.

2 hours ago, TMF said:

Thing is CR, we had a millionaire backer a few years back. We went from nothing to winning trophies. Then we lost him and now it's back to nothing. It's easy see. The hard part is...... oh, forget it. How did you get on against Warrington....oh, let's forget that as well eh?

I'll give a little, full marks to Barrow for being a good community club but showing up without a full roster should not be allowed.  It's a player safety issue as much as it is a business issue.  You could tell that a couple of the Barrow players were playing injured near the end.  This is how people get killed playing a sport.  Your winger, god love him, had his bell rung numerous times and was walking wounded for half the match.  I think a few things need to happen:

1.  The RFL need to get off their ***** and help the lower end Championship clubs.  They should mandate teams must travel with a minimum of 19 players.  They should also mandate minimum squad sizes IOT compete in the Championship.  There is a big discrepancy in squad sizes as clubs are trying to balance remaining competitive by signing quality as opposed to quantity.

2.  The RFL need to help semi-pro clubs with VISA/travel issues.  Toronto Wolfpack have bent over backwards to make this work with nothing from the RFL in return.

3.  The RFL should consider merging the three leagues in to two leagues.  The Bottom six in the Championship cannot compete week in week out with professional clubs and it's beginning to show.  The top six slaughtered the bottom six this week and it makes for a very poor on field product.  We shouldn't let the lower league wither though, I think every club in the top tier should be affiliated with a club in the second tier and these clubs should share resources.  The second tier can then become a true development league rather than "whipping boys" which is what they are and will always be.  

Bottom line - expand Super League to 16/18 teams, merge League 1 and Bottom of the Championship.  

I have every reason to believe Rugby League in the NH can be as good and strong as NRL but it won't be unless major changes are made to the game.

Player Safety and On Field Product, in that order.

Wow CR, one of the best posts i've ever seen. More or less what I think. I won't go through all your points as I agree, especially about the RFL needing to get off their ****. Thanks for your support and for info our coach was full of praise for the Toronto fans, saying you were outstanding. Many thanks on behalf of the team? lol, who made it there.

45 minutes ago, TMF said:

Wow CR, one of the best posts i've ever seen. More or less what I think. I won't go through all your points as I agree, especially about the RFL needing to get off their ****. Thanks for your support and for info our coach was full of praise for the Toronto fans, saying you were outstanding. Many thanks on behalf of the team? lol, who made it there.

couldn't believe the grit displayed by the Barrow guys, incredible playing 80 mins like that...definitely agree all teams should have a dual reg/affiliation deal so they can borrow players when they are on their uppers like that . all credit to barrow players and staff.

Robert, thanks for the compliment, but your point on DR, no, no, no, no, and again no. That's why we can send 14 players, 6000 miles, to play the best team in the league and play and battle for each other. No outsiders being given match practice by Super League teams who can't be bothered to field a reserve side because they would rather save their money to pay exorbitant wages to their superstars. No disruption of team morale. A team that plays together stays together. Yes I know, we do sign loan payers, not DR players but that's for a specific time period and they know when they come here that's it. If they do well, we sign them on for a longer period. We do not pick certain reserve players from a SL team one week when we are short and then another group of reserve SL players another week. Every team that has gone down that route has suffered, along with the supporters.

It's an interesting fact that all supporters of DR teams I have spoken to, both at home and away agree. OK, rant over, but if you look at the league as it stands at the moment, with most teams standing below us, the majority of who do have DR, well, what can I say? I would rather get relegated than go down to Craven Park to watch players I've never seen in my life and who really, don't give a toss about my club and the supporters

Archived