All Golds-Oxford Merger, is it still on?

Wasn't these clubs meant to be merging to form a Bristol club in league one. Some rumours circulating that it might not be going ahead.

Has anyone heard anything? 

If Bristol aren't ready for next season does that leave the door open for Manchester or New York to enter? 

58 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Wasn't these clubs meant to be merging to form a Bristol club in league one. Some rumours circulating that it might not be going ahead.

If Bristol aren't ready for next season does that leave the door open for Manchester or New York to enter? 

All Golds have merged with Gloucestershire Warriors ans playing amateur RL so I think the answer is no. Its a shame really, I think Bristol would be a great place to have an expansion club. 

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

Didn't they say they were struggling to get it financed or that someone pulled out? 

If that's true then you'd think there'd be space for 2 new teams

Bristol would only work if a rich investor came in and financed it, like what’s happened with Toronto.

There would be no point in creating a new club for the sake of it because you’d just have another Coventry or Hemel on your hands - passionate people involved but a team that’s not competitive in League 1 and would be battered every time they face a half decent team. 

It’s a shame what’s happened to Oxford and the All Golds because they were fairly competitive on the field, especially the latter. 

38 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

Bristol would only work if a rich investor came in and financed it, like what’s happened with Toronto.

There would be no point in creating a new club for the sake of it because you’d just have another Coventry or Hemel on your hands - passionate people involved but a team that’s not competitive in League 1 and would be battered every time they face a half decent team. 

It’s a shame what’s happened to Oxford and the All Golds because they were fairly competitive on the field, especially the latter. 

Depends what you want from an expansion club, do you want them to be competitive straight away or do you want to slowly build and develop players

1 hour ago, Moscow01 said:

All Golds had a significantly higher playing budget than other expansion teams hence them being slightly more competitive, however they could not build a sustainable club off the field. I know that you hold on field results as a measure of a clubs success but there is much more to it, and sadly All Golds and Oxford are good examples of that. 

3 hours ago, The Daddy said:

The RFL messed the backers about so they pulled out, so the story goes.

So no backer now.

Bristol was never seriously going to happen .... surely no one believed Oxford/GAG would really end up as Bristol!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

The university pulled the plug on All Golds, the director's from Oxford have with drawn their backing. Don't think Manchester will be invited more likely New York for the financial benefits. The latter is just my guess. 

2 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Bristol was never seriously going to happen .... surely no one believed Oxford/GAG would really end up as Bristol!

Why not?

Perth, Adelaide and Hunter ended up as the Melbourne Storm in 1998.

4 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Why not?

As it happened? That's why not - but hey, lets not stop fantasizing. I went to Oxford and Gloucester with North Wales Crusaders and I have watched RL in Bristol too with Salford City Roosters. Probably a combined attendance of about 300 at all 3 games.

Unless one club drops out, should be two clubs come in for balance otherwise league has uneven number of clubs. However this is RL and when it comes to common sense . . . . 

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

As great as it would be to have teams in major cities in England and the UK and Ireland, it’s a pipedream that probably won’t happen. 

Firstly, we’d need financial backers, especially millionaires if they have dreams of Super League participation, and millionaires with an interest in Rugby League seem thin on the ground, especially those wanting to invest in new areas. 

Secondly, where will the players come from? From a Super League perspective, there’s talk of people wanting the top twenty sides to take the money and run but that’s going to need in the region of 500 players. We simply don’t have 500 players of sufficient quality to make this work, so adding teams in ‘new’ cities just makes an extra burden on the player pool. Also, where will this player pool be in ten-fifteen years? Do we have enough players coming through and enough of those coming through of a significant quality? 

Lastly, is there any appetite for the games in ‘new’ areas? Yes, Bristol pulled in a big crowd nearly five years ago for a World Cup game between two lesser nations but nothing has been done to grab that interest and keep it interested in the game. Crowds at Oxford and All Golds were minimal and that’s not me having a pop at them, it was to be expected really. 

10 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Why not?

Hull Sharks and Gateshead ended up as Hull FC as well but that has no bearing in this.  Personal view was Bristol was a suggestion that softened the blow of losing two teams, with some ifs, buts and maybe some attached that needed all the starts to align to happen. 

To be clear I’d love it to happen and I’m a big expansion fan, but just can’t see it it.

2 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Hull Sharks and Gateshead ended up as Hull FC as well but that has no bearing in this.  Personal view was Bristol was a suggestion that softened the blow of losing two teams, with some ifs, buts and maybe some attached that needed all the starts to align to happen. 

To be clear I’d love it to happen and I’m a big expansion fan, but just can’t see it it.

So are you saying it was a ploy to just get rid of two clubs?

13 hours ago, newbe said:

The university pulled the plug on All Golds, the director's from Oxford have with drawn their backing. Don't think Manchester will be invited more likely New York for the financial benefits. The latter is just my guess. 

Is there any update on New York?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

5 hours ago, The Daddy said:

So are you saying it was a ploy to just get rid of two clubs?

Not a ploy no, I think two clubs were not sustainable and so went to the wall, natural selection if you were.  I think the Bristol thing just softened the blow.  I don’t think the RFL (if that’s who you mean by ploy) were actively trying to get rid.  Now, I don’t think they we’re actively helping either but that’s another thread I guess ....

On 6/24/2018 at 12:22 PM, Oliver Clothesoff said:

As great as it would be to have teams in major cities in England and the UK and Ireland, it’s a pipedream that probably won’t happen. 

Realistically, it just has to if the sport is to grow in any meaningful sense. Fostering interest in areas with large conurbations is the way forward.

Archived