Obesity in Children

Isn't it about time we outlawed this?

I can already hear the human rights/do gooders moaning now but I say, stop the lard asses now. Double PE and no tuck shop for the fat lads/girls/trans children

PS, is the Question Time job still up for grabs?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stop selling school playing fields. Start properly banning over-sugared foods.

Actually have PE in primary schools.

Fixed it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Too many parents are afraid to let their kids out of the house these days. From about the age of 8 we were kicked out of the house after breakfast and not expected back until dinner time, then out again till tea. In the summer holidays we'd be down to the beach/pine woods on our bikes for the whole day, for me a good 2 miles from home. How many modern parents would give their 8 year olds that freedom today?

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Oh, and build protected cycle lanes around schools so kids get their activity going to and from school. Enforce parking bans outside all schools during pick up/drop off times.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Stop selling school playing fields. Start properly banning over-sugared foods.

Actually have PE in primary schools.

Fixed it.

Although to be serious...you can tax/ban all the sugar products in the world but if parents aren't monitoring what their kids eat, it's not going to have the desired effect.

Griff is correct in that many kids are mollycoddled and not allowed freedom to run about like we did but to an extent I can understand parents concerns. I give my daughter lifts for example whereas I'd have told the lads to walk. (She's almost 17)

36 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Although to be serious...you can tax/ban all the sugar products in the world but if parents aren't monitoring what their kids eat, it's not going to have the desired effect.

Griff is correct in that many kids are mollycoddled and not allowed freedom to run about like we did but to an extent I can understand parents concerns. I give my daughter lifts for example whereas I'd have told the lads to walk. (She's almost 17)

There are some basic things you can do and not all of them nanny state. It's impossible for kids to play in the streets any more - there are more cars but also, and this is the critical bit, if a car hits a child these days the likelihood of any punishment for that driver is basically zero. So you could maybe look at that. Also, make it easier for kids to walk/cycle to school and you immediately counteract the fact that there aren't any playing fields or PE teachers, or that the parents can't be bothered.

43 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

JOKES ARE NOT ALLOWED IN AOB

They let you in.... ner ner na ner ner

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

6 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

They let you in.... ner ner na ner ner

Oooof ... I've taken a hit ... I'm down ... the light ... kismet, Bedford, kismet ...

In my new job (checking rail tickets) there is a secondary school near the station, one up from where I've been working (West St Leonard's) and a chubby lad tries getting on the train without paying. This week he tried to say he was getting a ticket from the machine, which is on the platform, he played on the screen while I was watching, then hid behind it. I asked him if I could see his ticket, and when he said he hadn't got any money, I told him he can't get on the train, it's not a free service I explained to him. He had a sulk, and stormed off & walked to school. The rest of the week he bought a ticket. The kids are so lazy, it takes 30 mins to walk to the school, and they sit on their fat a*SES all day, then go home & play video games. It's no wonder kids are obese.

On 6/24/2018 at 3:16 PM, gingerjon said:

There are some basic things you can do and not all of them nanny state. It's impossible for kids to play in the streets any more - there are more cars but also, and this is the critical bit, if a car hits a child these days the likelihood of any punishment for that driver is basically zero. So you could maybe look at that. Also, make it easier for kids to walk/cycle to school and you immediately counteract the fact that there aren't any playing fields or PE teachers, or that the parents can't be bothered.

PE teaching is actually pretty good in my experience, many schools I'm aware of hire in an outside agency to do PE. My school doesn't but we did as CPD for about 2/3 years. They were very good and improved my PE teaching immeasurably. 

There are two big problems here, firstly food can be very addictive and better tasting food is generally bad for you. As we can clearly see, a large number of adults with all the education and experience in the world are obese.

That said I was on a trip last week and you'd be amazed what the parents give the children for a packed lunch. As a grown man I have a sandwich, yoghurt, apple and a bag of crisps if I'm not trying to be healthy. Routinely they'll have sausage rolls as well as sandwiches and a lunchables box before you even get to their afters. 

I do think technology and cultural changes around playing out are leading to more sedentary children. I was doing relay races with kids on Friday and there are a significant number who clearly don't run very often and look incredibly awkward running just 10 metres. There have been actual studies on this on primary school children being considerably slower than they were when I was a boy. 

1 minute ago, Maximus Decimus said:

PE teaching is actually pretty good in my experience, many schools I'm aware of hire in an outside agency to do PE. My school doesn't but we did as CPD for about 2/3 years. They were very good and improved my PE teaching immeasurably. 

There are two big problems here, firstly food can be very addictive and better tasting food is generally bad for you. As we can clearly see, a large number of adults with all the education and experience in the world are obese.

That said I was on a trip last week and you'd be amazed what the parents give the children for a packed lunch. As a grown man I have a sandwich, yoghurt, apple and a bag of crisps if I'm not trying to be healthy. Routinely they'll have sausage rolls as well as sandwiches and a lunchables box before you even get to their afters. 

I do think technology and cultural changes around playing out are leading to more sedentary children. I was doing relay races with kids on Friday and there are a significant number who clearly don't run very often and look incredibly awkward running just 10 metres. There have been actual studies on this on primary school children being considerably slower than they were when I was a boy. 

I suspect PE varies massively school to school. Tiny Ginger's state school was absolutely rubbish at it but I have friends whose kids do a lot of movement and activity, even if they don't necessarily do PE.

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I suspect PE varies massively school to school. Tiny Ginger's state school was absolutely rubbish at it but I have friends whose kids do a lot of movement and activity, even if they don't necessarily do PE.

My school is very good but that's down the person in charge of PE (not me!). It could be a regional thing too, my wife is a School Business Manager in another district and their MAT schools all use outside agencies too. 

Was sat outside the cafe in East Park after park run enjoying the weather .

Two very fat parents walked by with a small child , never looked up from there phones once in about 25metres , child was very young just about toddling along , child was fat .

Walked up to the bandstand turned round walked back to car , again never looking up from phones , never spoke to the child .

Fat people are here to stay along with a massive problem for the NHS .

Made me feel a little sad , angry .

Diet plays the overwelming role in obesity.  Want to lose weight?  90% of your loss will be the diet.  You can't outrun a bad diet.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 minutes ago, henage said:

Lots of good club runners eat and drink lots . But they put the miles and effort in and keep the weight off .

https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/a19726348/outrunning-a-bad-diet/

or

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2015/05/07/bjsports-2015-094911

20 minutes ago, henage said:

Lots of good club runners eat and drink lots . But they put the miles and effort in and keep the weight off .

People have different metabolisms too. 

It's very easy to point the blame finger at individuals and don't get me wrong some people don't even try but I think there are bigger problems. 

Food is easy, addictive, enjoyable and can be used for comfort. You can give as much education as you like but nothing will stop a chippy tea being awesome. It's clear that willpower alone isn't going to solve the obesity crisis.

Technology is also incredibly addictive and enjoyable. People play computer games because they are fun and easy, they've only got better and better. With social media companies have perfected ways of getting and keeping your attention to the point that people can't keep off their phones.

Like many others, I fight against all of these things. My weight fluctuates regularly when I want to be slim, I exercise on and off when I want to be in shape and I spend too much time on my phone when I don't want to and have better things to do. 

The answers aren't going to be easy especially when many aren't bothered by eating rubbish, not exercising or spending their lives on technology. 

38 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I think it is very individual.

I can lose weight with exercise, but I am fairly strong and fit to start with.  That makes intense exercise.  It means I can also push myself with hard exercise, but with faith it will work.

Were I overweight and unfit, hard exercise would be no fun and uncomfortable.  Until I actually got fit, I would not be able to do it intenesely, despite suffering the discomfort.  That leaves dieting as the only option, which would be truely horrible.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

3 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I think it is very individual.

I can lose weight with exercise, but I am fairly strong and fit to start with.  That makes intense exercise.  It means I can also push myself with hard exercise, but with faith it will work.

Were I overweight and unfit, hard exercise would be no fun and uncomfortable.  Until I actually got fit, I would not be able to do it intenesely, despite suffering the discomfort.  That leaves dieting as the only option, which would be truely horrible.

But what is your diet to begin with?  Calorific intake?  Your Basal Metabolic Rate?  If your intake and expenditure is fairly balanced, then exercise will give great results.  Are you having take aways for every meal plus a can of monster energy?  

31 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

But what is your diet to begin with?  Calorific intake?  Your Basal Metabolic Rate?  If your intake and expenditure is fairly balanced, then exercise will give great results.  Are you having take aways for every meal plus a can of monster energy?  

Indeed.

And it is possible to eat a truely horrific diet.  Having lived in the USA, it is remarkable that people are as slim as they are.

For exercise to be effective, you have to be fit and you have to be giving your body a reasonable chance.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived