Foregone conclusions

9' oller

I'm not a happy clapper or a serial terrace/ social media moaner.

But. Is the highlight of the season the toulouse league win.

I'd have kear back in a heartbeat. For me the division is now split perfectly. The top 6 are actually 30-40 points better than the bottom.

Am I surprised? I guess I'm slightly antagonised with the notion of "can't compete- won't compete". Where does this leave the loyal fans and sponsors.

With a new season kick off and a real rich quality of teams I always hoped a cheeky 5th could be within reach. We don't deserve diddly squat. All teams have had disruption. All teams need to stretch themselves but the next win is a dream not reality.

The summer is here and I can't avoid filling sundays with good wholesome family days out for garbage served up at the mount.

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

1 hour ago, 9' oller said:

I'm not a happy clapper or a serial terrace/ social media moaner.

But. Is the highlight of the season the toulouse league win.

I'd have kear back in a heartbeat. For me the division is now split perfectly. The top 6 are actually 30-40 points better than the bottom.

Am I surprised? I guess I'm slightly antagonised with the notion of "can't compete- won't compete". Where does this leave the loyal fans and sponsors.

With a new season kick off and a real rich quality of teams I always hoped a cheeky 5th could be within reach. We don't deserve diddly squat. All teams have had disruption. All teams need to stretch themselves but the next win is a dream not reality.

The summer is here and I can't avoid filling sundays with good wholesome family days out for garbage served up at the mount.

There you go - it's all because of summer rugby. The biggest mistake we made in the sport, mark my words!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

11 minutes ago, Batley Bob said:

Did staying away work

No, but knowing that we hadn't a cat in hell's chance of coming close to them saved me 30 quid and having to sit through 80 minutes of yet more disappointment. 

A few more seasons like this one and 2017 and we won't have many fans left. Less than we have now, if that's at all possible. 

It amuses me no end that, when anyone challenges what is going on at the club, they get the stock answer of; 'Just get behind them'.

5 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

There you go - it's all because of summer rugby. The biggest mistake we made in the sport, mark my words!

There is some truth in this.  With little to do in the winter you look forward to the next game .  On the other hand, when done properly, and Batley do it better than most, then a summer game can be a very pleasant experience.

9 minutes ago, Eric Bristow said:

No, but knowing that we hadn't a cat in hell's chance of coming close to them saved me 30 quid and having to sit through 80 minutes of yet more disappointment. 

A few more seasons like this one and 2017 and we won't have many fans left. Less than we have now, if that's at all possible. 

It amuses me no end that, when anyone challenges what is going on at the club, they get the stock answer of; 'Just get behind them'.

Did i say just get behind them , no , I do think the club should have signed loan players , but I can't influence that , team didn't play bad today , score line flatters Fax , but no team can play without halves or wingers

IMG_0583.JPG

1 hour ago, Eric Bristow said:

Good post. There's an appalling amount of apathy from a lot of our fans. We deserve better. 

Perhaps the board deserve better than the constant carping given the state of the club when they took over; keeping going despite the continued exodus of the core fan base from the town of Batley, and with a number of initiatives in which they have been way in front of some of the large city based clubs in our vicinity.  

It is disappointing.  The club ran with a bigger and better squad this season.  But, as we have seen, not even Leeds Rhinos are immune to slumps in form when a large number of players are injured.  Castleford have done remarkably well with their patched up squad but they have had to dip into the League below them and pluck out a 33 year old to bolster their squad.  Not only are money trees difficult to find but there seems to be a dearth of good, available short term loanees at the moment.

Let's not fall out but if you can fund a #### up to canada to see us get royally butchered I applaud (or pity you not sure.)

If your 65+ with no immediate family or commitments/garden/job/ financial restraints/hobbies/ drink or drug habit and you would watch your team concede 40-80 points every week just to get some fresh air -again I have nothing but admiration for you.

This isn't about a summer winter debate or spending big and chasing the golden carrot to get a gig with rugbys elite.

This isn't a board or coach slagging exercise it's a genuine fan whos probably going to find it hard attending from now till winter.

I can't and won't start ripping individual players to pieces. On paper with a fit 25 we've a good squad.

Jc would of been a great addition but a healthy mind comes well before healthy body. 

I'm almost in agreement with our refusal to spend and bring folk in. What's the point other than to appease fans

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Well that's only my 4th Bulldogs' game this season and we have lost them all. I'm sick of being a 'die hard' travelling up and down the country and over to Europe for an 80 minute game that we just don't show up to. 

Today was absolutely dire. All I can say is I'm glad I packed my factor 50 so that I didn't get as burnt as badly as the Bulldogs! 

I agree with a lot of the views on here - and I didn’t go today. If there is little prospect of a contest (let alone a win) it’s easy to let other things take priority on a Sunday. First time in years that I’ve missed the Halifax away game, but not appealing at all today.

More frustration than apathy.

As long as DR is allowed I can’t see why Batley shouldn’t use it to their advantage like some other clubs do.

As I see it against the big six in the league we have won 2 in games against them in 18 months with Diskin in charge with some cricket scores been posted against us  I think teams look forward to coming to the mount now rather than dread it

when is the next winning coming losing becomes a habit along with confidence and by the time Dewsbury away in the middle of July arrives it could be two months without a win, which means we could be 8th depending on Barrow’s turn of fortunes, are the club as whole happy with 8th in regular season? I doubt it, it’s a step in the wrong direction, 

Based on our recent past DR experience with Cas, I have not been a fan of dual reg. However, when planned and used as part of an overall strategy for the season, and not the only plan on the table, it can be very effective. Fev have certainly used DR in an effective way this season, combined with a good recruitment strategy.

We have Huddersfield Giants on our doorstep, with a new Coach on board, and Izaak Farrell already a loanee from the Giants. They have a good academy system which is producing and promoting youth through to the first team, all within the Kirklees area. Can we not get round a table and hammer an agreement out for next season, an agreement that could well plug the gaping injury gaps that we have experienced this season which has resulted in a good squad spluttering to a disappointing business end of the season, despite giving their all.

14 hours ago, Batley Bob said:

With Dom , patch , Hemingway and young Isaac , most season we would have been ok in the halves , but not this one , where would you get another from , no club will release one on loan 

I understand a former Dogs halfback doesn't want to play for the Rams again - why not give Ned a ring. :mad:

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

15 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Aye, the joys of winter rugby. It only seems months ago that I was stood on the terraces on a bleak afternoon in February, frozen through, soup flask in one hand and hip flask in the other, complaining about the team, the weather and the referee, and wondering why the hell I hadn't stopped at home .......... Oh hang on - it WAS only months ago. :scratchhead:

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

19 hours ago, 9' oller said:

Let's not fall out but if you can fund a #### up to canada to see us get royally butchered I applaud (or pity you not sure.)

If your 65+ with no immediate family or commitments/garden/job/ financial restraints/hobbies/ drink or drug habit and you would watch your team concede 40-80 points every week just to get some fresh air -again I have nothing but admiration for you.

This isn't about a summer winter debate or spending big and chasing the golden carrot to get a gig with rugbys elite.

This isn't a board or coach slagging exercise it's a genuine fan whos probably going to find it hard attending from now till winter.

I can't and won't start ripping individual players to pieces. On paper with a fit 25 we've a good squad.

Jc would of been a great addition but a healthy mind comes well before healthy body. 

I'm almost in agreement with our refusal to spend and bring folk in. What's the point other than to appease fans

If these comments were aimed at me 9' oller, which, from the timeline, looks to be the case then you would be right in thinking that I am on the ancient side.  But  I am not so addled that I would go up to the Mount just for fresh air.  Aside from that I cannot disagree with your comments.  I try and hit a compromise between being fair to my family who have no interest whatsoever in the Bulldogs and my own slightly obsessive pastime.  Yesterday I chose to visit a zoo with family rather than go to the Shay.  Had we been pushing them for a top 4 spot then I might have been a tad more selfish and visited the Shay.  

It was "Eric's" comment that fans deserve better that drew a response from me, and perhaps I was unfair. But like anything written in black and white it is open to interpretation.  If it meant that  we Batley fans deserve to have a better team then what makes us special compared to say Oldham fans or Keighley fans or Dewsbury fans or fans of any other similar sized semi pro team.  It's probably not what he meant, he probably meant that fan's deserve to see competitive games, which is hard to disagree with.  How best to achieve this is worth a thread to itself.

The senior connection isn't aimed at anybody especially you told lad.

We have those who attend due to a sense of duty I'd like to feel I fall into that category but with three kids and a passion for days out and foreign holidays I'm worried about when I next attend.

The fan base is diverse and that has nothing to do with saint jo cox, it's to do with those who were brought up as nippers, those who are nippers and those inbetween.

The ground is awesome the atmosphere welcoming but I've noticed our hard-core getting skimmed by at least 50 every year.

Thank God for Danny maun and the community team as without there would be no brass and very few coming through the turnstiles.

Where's our feel good factor gone. I get it we will never emulate the northern rail cup final, league final or qualifiers again but let's get the bulldog grit/ pride in shirt.

The losses aren't small bonus point margins they're tonkings.

1 hour ago, phildog said:

Former Dogs half-back?...….thought we'd already fetched one back!!

Money talks.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived