Foregone conclusions

9' oller

As a fan i can understand frustrations certainly of recent results but it is not correct that that we are refusing to spend to bring in players in our injury crisis. Bissa have made it clear to the Board that they can and want to help financially to bring players in. The issue is that we cannot get players. We need halfbacks  and there arent any. Our top try scorer Wayne Reittie has been out for weeks and we have been trying to get a winger but cant. We may be failing but we are trying. We have been decimated by key players getting long term injuries like never before.Just go down our squad list and see how many players for one reason or another have been unavailable for large parts of season. It is half of our squad.

Reittie, Smeaton, Ainscough,Walker, Brambani, Gledhill,Lillycrop,Manning,Hemingway,Brown, Bretherton, Cowling & Campbell. Others have had injuries to miss games or played with injuries.

On 6/24/2018 at 6:00 PM, 9' oller said:

I'm not a happy clapper or a serial terrace/ social media moaner.

But. Is the highlight of the season the toulouse league win.

I'd have kear back in a heartbeat. For me the division is now split perfectly. The top 6 are actually 30-40 points better than the bottom.

Am I surprised? I guess I'm slightly antagonised with the notion of "can't compete- won't compete". Where does this leave the loyal fans and sponsors.

With a new season kick off and a real rich quality of teams I always hoped a cheeky 5th could be within reach. We don't deserve diddly squat. All teams have had disruption. All teams need to stretch themselves but the next win is a dream not reality.

The summer is here and I can't avoid filling sundays with good wholesome family days out for garbage served up at the mount.

And you amongst others shot me down for expressing similar views last season.

I havent been since mid season last year, and other than the Toulouse win you mention, ive missed nothing on field.

Maybe I was just ahead of my time.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

43 minutes ago, buford t justice said:

And you amongst others shot me down for expressing similar views last season.

I havent been since mid season last year, and other than the Toulouse win you mention, ive missed nothing on field.

Maybe I was just ahead of my time.

been once since good Friday last year and I know a lot more who have stopped going , its what there serving up its stale

BTJ and Ginaldo, you two obviously still have a keen interest in the club, hence why you are still reading the forum despite not going to games.

What could the club do, to entice you back to watch games? 

Is it Diskin, the board or the players you are unhappy with?

WIth the current injury situation, we could have signed a team full of NRL stars but it wouldn't have made a difference, if they are all injured

The bit I do not understand is, by your own admission, neither of you are attending games and haven't for some time. Yet both of you feel you are in a position to state that you have missed nothing and we are serving up stale football? It is on a par with voting for a man of the match based upon a Radio Leeds commentary. 

I quite like Matt Diskin. He had us playing some great rugby earlier in the season, and the Toulouse victory indicated that were building towards a strong end to the season. Injuries and a lack of replacements quickly put paid to that, though. I feel a bit sorry for Diskin, if I'm honest. Our season is now over, and the remaining games are pretty pointless. Admittedly, that's also something to do with the competition structure. 

4 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

BTJ and Ginaldo, you two obviously still have an keen interest in the club, hence why you are still reading the forum despite not going to games.

What could the club do, to entice you back to watch games? 

Is it Diskin, the board or the players you are unhappy with?

WIth the current injury situation, we could have signed a team full of NRL stars but it wouldn't have made a difference, if they are all injured

The bit I do not understand is, by your own admission, neither of you are attending games and haven't for some time. Yet both of you feel you are in a position to state that you have missed nothing and we are serving up stale football? It is on a par with voting for a man of the match based upon a Radio Leeds commentary. 

For me, its value for money.

we were riding the crest of a wave at the end of 2016 and didnt capitalise, no promoting the club to entice fans to the club after such s momentous season and a lack of signings of any note and the appointment of an inexperienced coach has seen us go backwards at an alarming rate.

i also dont think the current league structure helps as with no chance of the top 4, the season was effectively over at the end of May.

For me, if i go to a restaurant and pay for a meal, i expect to enjoy it and feel i had value for money,

i feel our club at times forgets we are paying customers because it is quite a close knit club, and can have almost an amatuer club outlook, taking for granted that fans will turn up regardless, and if you complain you are quickly singled out as negative and turned on by others who seem happy to put up with things so as not to upset anyone.

if the meals you go out to pay for are continually not good, you stop eating there. This is no different - get a new chef with new ideas and put the customer first and you get customers back.

Hope you get the jist of my analogy.

If meal is no good stop going to Restaurant and put a bad review on their website.It is your right.

Is it fair to keep putting reviews on a year later when you havent been to the restaurant in the meantime?

However it is a free country with free speech so you have a right to continue.

We have had some poor results and with injuries we have failed to sign replacements which maybe is because we are incapable but it is not because we are not trying or somehow are not bothered about supporters or do not want to improve that is what i have said.

Also of the 6 teams presently above us 4 are full time. The other 2, Fax & Fev get double or often treble our crowds. It is not easy to compete but we will continue to try. However i have bored people with this on a number of occasions when we have not achieved what we want to achieve. It will be difficult tomorrow against London but the players and coaches will try their best and hopefully it will be a decent game and a good afternoon out with pre and post match live entertainment, decent food on sale, fairly priced drinks and a tenner in. So hopefully some will come and give it a go.

The fact that there are financial issues of great concern at Barrow, Keighley, Whitehaven and indeed other Clubs shows these are worrying times for our sport when some of us want it to continue. If we had the answers why would we not implement them? We will continue to try to improve. We dont  ask for happy clappers but equally dont need people who dont come kicking us when we are down. Just go to a different restaurant that gives you better value for money or one day when we win a few games  come back and give it another go  but if you dont want to then thats fine that is your right.

1 hour ago, buford t justice said:

Just giving an honest reply to a question why I havent been to games.

Been a Batley fan all my life and will always want us to do well, thats never been in question.

Being a fan when things are rosy is easy; sticking with it when the road gets rocky is much more difficult, but defines the real fans. Maybe ex-fan would be more honest?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Being a fan when things are rosy is easy; sticking with it when the road gets rocky is much more difficult, but defines the real fans. Maybe ex-fan would be more honest?

Youre probably correct, although ive had 30+ years of following the club home and away through thin and thinner so I can hardly be accused of jumping ship when it gets rocky - theres many things you can call prople who watch Batley but glory supporters wouldnt make the top 500,000 list. As a result I guess ive earned the right to call myself a fan, ex-fan or escapee and everything in between.

You get less for murder these days than the years (and money) I have spent following the club, but youre still called a murderer when you get released. I’m enjoying my time on parole before I get locked up again indefinitely.

And i still loathe you lot from over the hill, so Batley RLFC are still in my veins and always will be.

This is what I've missed about you BTJ your wit, plain speaking and at times fun remarks at least your not 100% missing your here in spirit.

11 hours ago, RogerT said:

This is what I've missed about you BTJ your wit, plain speaking and at times fun remarks at least your not 100% missing your here in spirit.

he missed a cracking 40 minutes today thats for sure rog.

I don't see many games myself, and kicked off on my way home from Blackpool as I felt despite the injuries that game was there for the taking, what with Dewsbury also in a similar state to us personnel wise. However we let a 36 year old with half a leg run the show and never fronted up. Since then, I think, at least at home v Eagles and London, we have shown a more competitive edge and stayed in touch, in fact we do.inated Eagles up the hill and conceded twice unluckily when in scotingpositions ourselves. Today the first half was a game and we kept plugging away after the break. If we had played this game the week after the Bash, and on that form, London would have scored at will, today we competed. I still believe my assertion after the Dewsbury game that we shouldn't have been blaming injuries as that is the point of running with the size of squad we have, players who should be capable of stepping up regardless of who and how many are missing and I also struggle to understand why apparently nobody wants to come to Batley to help us out. This season is over, there seems no prospect of us even putting a challenge in for The Shield. I have my own ideas of how the squad should look next year, we definitely need to be looking at least 1 proper winger with pace, and I think a couple of players should be let go, a couple of others might also leave of their own volition. We need at least 1 halfback with speed to take on the line, let's hope Isaac can wiggle his way back, a couple of forwards might be getting to the back end. I also believe that the tackling style brought in by the coach, for which the club coughed up for a wrestle room, has failed majestically, however this isn't just a problem attributable to us, the whole game has changed and nobody tackles low and hard anymore. More tries are conceded now through attackers simply swatting off chest and shoulder tackles, as shown by the Swift try against us v Eagles. Is this a failure of 1 coach, or a malaise amongst many? 1 thing which is certain, and has been pointed out elsewhere, is that we were left on a high by the 2016 season, and we never kicked on from that, didn't replace a couple of players with anything better, simply gave the same players bigger contracts which doesn't make them any better players, and don't forget the super human effort they'd already put in, brought in an inexperienced first team coach (Yes, I know they all have to have a first job in charge but you'd expect a better job the season after!!) and a new attitude to play which doesn't really suit Batley. We have always been a tackling side, ready to knock em down and knock em down again,  wear em down, play 80 minutes. Go back to the years of the bonus point...we got more bonus points than any other team in either championship throughout its time by tackling, keeping teams out and competing the whole game. Harlem Globetrotter rugby just isn't us because of the lack of pace. We have 2 first choice halves going towards their mid 30's, loads of brain admittedly, but slower off the mark, we have 1 winger, a centre filling in, be it either Ainy or Crookes, and an inexperienced second rower on the other and when, as recently we've also had no centres, a 36 year old guy doing his damnest to plug the gap. Answer? Don't know, I admit, but I do know that we can't afford another poor season next time. I know the board do everything to keep the wolf from our door so we don't get mentioned in the same breath as others, but a bank account in the black isn't a pull to spectators. Winning pulls spectators, which obviously starts a roundabout of spending more on players to make more people turn up with their entrance money which in the short term lessens the bank account....vicious circle yes, but it has to be broken. Great husbandry, but paying average will keep us average. Best of luck with that Kev!!

This is not having a go at your post Phil.

Featherstone have lost Ridyard and Holmes to injury,and most of their fans seem happy with their replacements.

You think we need half backs with pace.If Batley paid out Fev,s half back contracts ,how much would be left in the kitty.

Of all the teams who have beaten us this season,how many half back pairings coul we have afforded?

Possibly Dewsbury's.

I do see what you are getting at Phil, but I cannot agree with you on the injuries front. It isn't just an excuse, injuries have been the big problem this season and it isn't just a problem affecting Batley.

Take a look at Castleford or better still, the Rhinos. They have one of the biggest budgets in the game, a huge squad filled with international talent, brilliant youth development, the best facilities etc. etc. but they have been on a similar run to us, for the self same reasons as we have struggled. They are absolutely decimated due to injuries. If they cannot compete, what chance do we have, on our budget?

You can sign a big squad, but the best players want top money and a regular first team place. Therefore, the majority of the squad outside of the first/starting 17 will never be as good as those in it. If they were, they would be getting more money playing in someone else's starting 17 every week. The biggest issue with the game is a shortage of players. There simply are not enough good players in the game. I hark back to an earlier post regarding QLT signing at Cas,  or Luke Briscoe getting snaffled back by Leeds, after rejecting him a few years ago.

I'm not saying either are bad players, they are not, but top end SL level players? They are both great Championship players, maybe bottom 4 SL regulars, at a push. But, no way are they good enough to be playing for teams, that at the start of the season most people would have thought would have been in the mix for the GF.  

Despite the run of recent results, I still believe we have got one of the best squads we have ever had, probably the best in terms of strength in depth that I can ever remember. But we have to just ride it out and hope we continue to get lads back prior to the shield 

• 2 weeks later...

Back from croatia on family jaunt. Only leigh game did I follow on Twitter and felt quite excited at half time

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

On 6/30/2018 at 6:52 PM, Eric Bristow said:

I quite like Matt Diskin. He had us playing some great rugby earlier in the season, and the Toulouse victory indicated that were building towards a strong end to the season. Injuries and a lack of replacements quickly put paid to that, though. I feel a bit sorry for Diskin, if I'm honest. Our season is now over, and the remaining games are pretty pointless. Admittedly, that's also something to do with the competition structure. 

1 good game doesnt make a good coach, and thats all he has had in 2 years, never wanted him and never will

Archived