Nothing but respect....................

Therein73

Unlike certain members of the South Stand fraternity, I have nothing but huge admiration for the way our players keep going and giving their all when the odds (and the scoreline) are stacked hugely against them............. Today was the third really tough game in a row, on the back of a long haul trip over to Canada and once again every 50/50 seemed to go against us (as it did against Fev) yet the players keep going when (especially today) it would have been easy to let their heads drop................ At least we have four games coming up now where we know we can compete and look to provide an improved league position and hopefully avoid relegation........... The gap between the 'haves' & 'have nots' gets bigger and bigger and I really fear for the future of our club and the game in general.

Those few speccies deriding these guys need to put themselves in the players' boots for eighty minutes -- and see how brave and committed they have to be to keep going like they do.

Well done lads -- and well done NK & PD for keeping these guys up for the massive & hugely tough challenges they are having to face.................. 

Good luck and let's hope (realistically) for at least three wins from the next four outings.

I would never have a go at anyone who takes to a rugby field. The players kept at it. There is a huge difference between the top six and the rest. Sadly, you know we are going to get beaten, but you have to stick by them.

1 hour ago, FarOutRam said:

I would never have a go at anyone who takes to a rugby field. The players kept at it. There is a huge difference between the top six and the rest. Sadly, you know we are going to get beaten, but you have to stick by them.

Can't fault them for courage or effort - we did however contribute massively to our own downfall too I think. At least the first two Leigh tries were scored when we lost the ball near their line and they went in from long range as a result. The third was when we let the ball bounce and they kick chased to the line. There were also a few, through (again) not defending a high kick. Nobody can deny that Leigh were in a different class to us, faster, quicker thinking, fitter, and more skilful - as you'd expect from a full time side, but we certainly  helped them at times. Time, I think, for SL2.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Sick of the NK love-in, infallible in the eyes of some supporters. Look at the likes of James Glover and Lucas Walshaw if you want proof NK isn't working, under Morrison (not asking for him back for a second) Walshaw looked like one of the most promising players in the league playing in the centres, since he's been shoehorned into the second row and since the start of this year Lucas has flattered to deceive, Glover looks a shadow of the player he was at the start of the season/back end of last year. Players seem demoralised and in need of fresh ideas. 

Being part-time compared to full-time is always the go to excuse following on from drubbings by the likes of Leigh and Toronto and in fairness to Neil I don't think that's what he said after Sunday's game, but to publicly lambast has players for a lack of desire and effort like he has throughout the season seems to me like the opposite of motivation. Something needs to change! One thing that stuck in my mind was his comments Pre-Toronto in the Press, effectively saying we weren't going to win. No matter how realistic he's being by saying that, you don't come out before a game and say that you aren't going to win! Did you see the Sutton United manager do that prior to their fixture against Arsenal last year? No! What a way to motivate your players...

The fact is no matter how limited our funds are we're going backwards under a stubborn coach and struggling to improve, we'll go and beat Swinton next week and all of a sudden NK will be a god in fans' eyes again regardless of the terrible season we've had, all I ask is that people put admiration aside, it's not 2000 anymore it's 2018, we're a different club at a different stage in our development and all I ask is that we take things at face value and take off our rose-tinted spectacles. I was the same at the start of this year, I've been a ST holder for over 40 years now and I thought after his last stint in charge we had a brilliant coach and I was looking to this season with cautious optimism, but the game has evolved in 18 years and I don't feel that Neil has evolved with it.

1 hour ago, Terry Tibbs said:

Sick of the NK love-in, infallible in the eyes of some supporters. Look at the likes of James Glover and Lucas Walshaw if you want proof NK isn't working, under Morrison (not asking for him back for a second) Walshaw looked like one of the most promising players in the league playing in the centres, since he's been shoehorned into the second row and since the start of this year Lucas has flattered to deceive, Glover looks a shadow of the player he was at the start of the season/back end of last year. Players seem demoralised and in need of fresh ideas. 

Being part-time compared to full-time is always the go to excuse following on from drubbings by the likes of Leigh and Toronto and in fairness to Neil I don't think that's what he said after Sunday's game, but to publicly lambast has players for a lack of desire and effort like he has throughout the season seems to me like the opposite of motivation. Something needs to change! One thing that stuck in my mind was his comments Pre-Toronto in the Press, effectively saying we weren't going to win. No matter how realistic he's being by saying that, you don't come out before a game and say that you aren't going to win! Did you see the Sutton United manager do that prior to their fixture against Arsenal last year? No! What a way to motivate your players...

The fact is no matter how limited our funds are we're going backwards under a stubborn coach and struggling to improve, we'll go and beat Swinton next week and all of a sudden NK will be a god in fans' eyes again regardless of the terrible season we've had, all I ask is that people put admiration aside, it's not 2000 anymore it's 2018, we're a different club at a different stage in our development and all I ask is that we take things at face value and take off our rose-tinted spectacles. I was the same at the start of this year, I've been a ST holder for over 40 years now and I thought after his last stint in charge we had a brilliant coach and I was looking to this season with cautious optimism, but the game has evolved in 18 years and I don't feel that Neil has evolved with it.

No complaints about NK from me.  We aint got the brass to compete, simples.  The only gripe I would have is that he didn't realise that we needed two decent props until way too late and I think this is what is costing us.  The lack of impact by the forwards is what hit the half backs and made things tricky and this is why I think we have seen the last of Gaz.

I think I can say that we really only underperformed against Rochdale at home when we were shocking.

Lucas hasn't excelled this year but he is a second row not a centre and we need him in field doing the hard graft.

If we keep going like this I expect that NK will end up going but I honestly cant see anyone turning things around to be honest.  The money differentials are just too great these days and we will always be hampered by a low playing budget when compared to many of the teams in our league..

At one stage early on in the season we thought we had two props, from the Giants, with us for the season: Matty English and Shannon Wakeman -- Things conspired against us and we've struggled at times because of that in the 'go forward' department..... Gaz Moore, for whatever reason, has been a huge disappointment in both terms of low appearances and when he was actually playing (note his none defence vs Toronto)............ Lucas Walshaw could, in my humble opinion, offer more offensively (the way he bumped Reynolds off yesterday was sublime) but you cannot fault his defensive solidity or work rate.......... James Glover needs to have the ball in his hands to show us what he really can do, but that's stultified by our overall lack of possession.

Where I would be critical, maybe, of NK is the stupid penalties we have given away in most games this season -- That IS an area we could and should have tightened up on (What's Dave Merrick paid for again ??? )........  These are hard times in a very unbalanced Competition set up --  as long as we retain our Championship status, though,I would consider that a successful outcome this year.

NOT what we all want, but sometimes the reality just happens to be that way.

For me

We did alright, we fought, we tried, kept going for 80 minutes. 

Forget the scoreboard, you cannot judge a game alone looking at the score. 

If we carry that performance against Batley, Sheffield, barrow, swinton

We can win.. 

Don't worry about what you think the opposition might do, let them worry about what your gonna do.. Play your game how you feel it, if it feels like you can do it... Go for it, it's not about trying to score from every play.. It's about building pressure so the opposition tires, by eroding them throughout the 80 minutes. 

It was a positive performance yesterday where there was a gulf in players, fitness, power, tactical power of a full time team

They'll be there and abouts come the end of the season will Leigh and possibly one of the form teams. 

Think it's a bit unusual to say there is a NK love in. The fact is that we all realise he has a difficult job to do with a restricted budget and unavailability of players due to injury. Also let down by some dual reg / loan players not being available at critical times.  Badly let down also by Gaz Moore due to some kind of problem. Wish we could sort this out and get him back for the play offs.

The players are trying hard but we do need a pack leader who can distribute the ball. The pack play as individuals with one player running forcibly forward whilst the others eventually walk into position behind him for the play the ball.  We are not running onto the ball at speed, and inter passing, because they are not up with the play. Any passing between the forwards or backs is usually to a player who is barely moving. We also need a quick and elusive pair of half backs who can create opportunities and distribute the ball. This is not to criticise Sykes as his defence is enormous although I think he could be better used at centre if the previously mentioned half backs were available. As you say Glover is not getting the chances this season but definitely one to keep for next season. 

Soon be time for us fans to compile a list of who we would like to keep for next season---- but don't start yet ----- don't want to discourage the player that are trying.

4 hours ago, myview said:

Think it's a bit unusual to say there is a NK love in. The fact is that we all realise he has a difficult job to do with a restricted budget and unavailability of players due to injury. Also let down by some dual reg / loan players not being available at critical times.  Badly let down also by Gaz Moore due to some kind of problem. Wish we could sort this out and get him back for the play offs.

The players are trying hard but we do need a pack leader who can distribute the ball. The pack play as individuals with one player running forcibly forward whilst the others eventually walk into position behind him for the play the ball.  We are not running onto the ball at speed, and inter passing, because they are not up with the play. Any passing between the forwards or backs is usually to a player who is barely moving. We also need a quick and elusive pair of half backs who can create opportunities and distribute the ball. This is not to criticise Sykes as his defence is enormous although I think he could be better used at centre if the previously mentioned half backs were available. As you say Glover is not getting the chances this season but definitely one to keep for next season. 

Soon be time for us fans to compile a list of who we would like to keep for next season---- but don't start yet ----- don't want to discourage the player that are trying.

sadly ive heard that glover wont be here next year hope its just a rumour

7 hours ago, ramsfandan said:

sadly ive heard that glover wont be here next year hope its just a rumour

There's more than him mate but it the moment it's all rumours so let's just treat it as that. But by the way some players are playing I think they've already left the club,but it's easier just to blame the coach.

Give me 13 Dale Morton's anyday,at least he's got pride.

Archived