Just now, GeordieSaint said:

Should have looked at the photo better!! Rookie mistake... ??

We'll not leave you in charge of the smokescreen...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Copa said:

Take care. I was in Canberra when we had nearly 500 homes destroyed and a bunch of people killed during a bushfire. They are terrifying.

Australia is at particular risk of such catastrophes due to the proliferation of gum trees isn't it.  They really are lethal aren't they.  With peat it doesn't flare up like gum so much as smoulder on and on and on and so can pop up again just when the fire fighters think the fire is spent.  

11 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Australia is at particular risk of such catastrophes due to the proliferation of gum trees isn't it.  They really are lethal aren't they.  With peat it doesn't flare up like gum so much as smoulder on and on and on and so can pop up again just when the fire fighters think the fire is spent.  

Yes. In 2009 there was a fire in Victoria that killed 173 and destroyed around 2000 homes. 

The eucalyptus trees can explode, day turns to night, flames can be huge and can travel at a great pace and flame tornadoes can also appear.

It gets crazy at times. We even have official hotlines and websites just to report people who throw cigarette butts out of car windows. A cigarette butt thrown out of a car at certain times of year could possibly end up killing heaps of people.

3 hours ago, Copa said:

Yes. In 2009 there was a fire in Victoria that killed 173 and destroyed around 2000 homes. 

The eucalyptus trees can explode, day turns to night, flames can be huge and can travel at a great pace and flame tornadoes can also appear.

It gets crazy at times. We even have official hotlines and websites just to report people who throw cigarette butts out of car windows. A cigarette butt thrown out of a car at certain times of year could possibly end up killing heaps of people.

It astounds me to think that there are people who would throw cig butts out of car windows in a country prone to very hot weather and with trees that ignite in a lively way.  Some folk are just stunningly irresponsible.  

On 6/30/2018 at 4:25 PM, GeordieSaint said:

Should have looked at the photo better!! Rookie mistake... ??

I’d never dream of commenting on officers, maps and that sort of thing. ? 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I'd be VERY surprised if there aren't more fires soon (unless it rains).  School holidays coming up too.  The moors are tinder ready.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

12 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

What is this country coming to if firefighters fighting fires have to beg for donations to do their jobs...

#sadtimes

Tbf, these are exceptional circumstances and the local community have been giving supplies all week so maybe they have requested of the Fire Service what the fire fighters need?  I think it's nice that the local community are giving their support.

18 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

What is this country coming to if firefighters fighting fires have to beg for donations to do their jobs...

#sadtimes

I've just read that the Red Cross are looking after the fire crews on the moorland wildfires.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Surely these fires must be arson related?  While we have had a mild February which drifted into record breaking over the last couple of days, surely we haven't had the level of sustained temperatures to trigger fires spontaneously?

Just now, Saintslass said:

Surely these fires must be arson related?  While we have had a mild February which drifted into record breaking over the last couple of days, surely we haven't had the level of sustained temperatures to trigger fires spontaneously?

Probably, I don't think we have had lightning either (another natural cause).  One of the recent fires was a burn on the grouse moor that got out of control.  

31 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

No, but we've had an unusually dry winter that has allowed the fires to take hold and spread, regardless of how they began.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

That is quite shocking that the commons haven't discussed climate change in that long, not that this discussion will come to anything. "oh yeah we should save the environment but we all need our rollers and Bentleys on expenses". I'm probably biased cos climate change is the political topic which I feel most strongly about but governments need to get some perspective and get their priorities right. 

Archived