Workington Town

Dave Naylor

Kershaw's new loan deal spurs Oldham

WE are delighted to confirm that Wakefield Trinity’s young winger Lee Kershaw, whose latest one-month loan deal expired after Sunday’s game at Hunslet, has signed a new loan agreement to stay at Oldham for the rest of the season.

Read full article

Four out -- and no dual-reg again

SCOTT Naylor has confirmed that injury-hit Oldham will not be able to call on dual-reg players from Salford Red Devils for Sunday’s important top-five clash with Workington Town at the Vestacare Stadium (3pm kick-off).

Read full article

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anne talks-up girl power !

ANNE Kearns, who’s running Oldham RL Club while chairman Chris Hamilton is laid up after major heart surgery, is appealing to women to play a lead role in increasing attendances at the Vestacare Stadium.

Read full article

Town grab Sam Wood in new dual-reg link

YOUNG Huddersfield Giants centre Sam Wood, who played 13 games on dual-reg for Oldham in the Championship seasons of 2016 and 2017, is in Workington Town’s 19-man squad for Sunday’s clash with Roughyeds at the Vestacare Stadium (3pm).

Read full article

Says it all when Worky fans clap the ref off. Not excusing some of our play and i dont generally like to have a pop at refs....but Crashley is shocking.  High tackles, milking pens, trainer on the pitch for most of the game. Dirty side Worky, mostly not penalised but hey ho. 

Johnno was immense today the try saving tackle was worth the admission money alone  Great effort from the lads, shaky first half followed by a second half where we should have won.

Worky played the ref better than us today, he was the difference no matter what. A draw would have been about right, i can stomach losing to any side but the refs inconsistancy ruined the game for me today along with the Workington coaching staff coming onto the park near the end saying "if you get tackled just stay down" basically feign injury. Unbelievably said in earshot of all the Oldham fans at the bottom end! Should be pulled for that. Nice tactics.

Looks like we picked up more injuries as well, couple of head knocks and more.

Great day all round really ?

Thought we were awful. Effort was there but our execution was dreadful with the ball. Time to bite the bullet and get rid of Crook and find some creativity. Give Hewitt another chance but if he doesn't start running the ball he's got to go as well.

Reid and Nelmes were superb. Bridge and Joy shouldn't have played but they had 2 or 3 leave the field as well so we weren't at a major disadvantage.

easy to criticise a side which has lost, but today we entered a tough game with an already broken side. Credit must be given to both sides defences, on hot days like today you can often see a points fest. They did play the officials better than us. Wrestled us on the ground often and yet the only two penalties I remember for delaying the play the ball went against us.

was there anyone close to the no try at the end? I was at the other end and did not look like he was in touch, but I was to far away to give a qualified read on it.

The ref at York today, along with his colleagues was shocking. Fortunately he didn''t influence the result, but so many of them do. Surprised you lost today, Worky were poor at York, but you have to win your home games. Hopefully you'll get over today and still get a top 5 finish.

Missed langers massively today and also bridge when he went off. I don’t understand why hooley and kershaw where dropped. I totally agree with you brooksy it’s time for either crook or Hewitt to get dropped they’re playing without any pressure in the team, they just go into the same match week in week out and give us zero creativity . They have no idea when on the line and go missing in big games. I will definitely keep Johnno at fullback and give hooley a go in the half back role against west wales next week let’s try something new, we all know he can kick as well. But gutted about today’s result

4 minutes ago, tandle said:

excuses/ excuses/ excuses/ a poor team a poor club one more nail in the coffin fact.

Wondered if you'd get involved after today ? i actually missed you tandle. 

To be honest I had a feeling we were going to lose today, too many big players injured that really get us on the front foot. 

Thing is like last week we had plenty of good chances and when we did get on their goaline we're devoid of ideas. Really they should have been well clear of us but like us they fluffed a few chances. 

Question is what do we do now? I thought matt reid, nelmes, Johnson all played well as did mccomb. 

Who makes the decisions on the pitch? This was another game lost due to the fact we didn't take the two points on offer on three occasions - just like last season. It was obvious we don't have the flair to score when ten yards out so always take what's on offer.

Credit, I feel, must be given to both sides, it was hard enough just standing there.

With our injuries and no DR players coming our way, I feel we are going to struggle - just like last season.

Nice one tandle, were you there today? Busted with injuries,still tried hard but just fell short in scorching heat and 3 players had to go off injured. With your attitude I'm wondering if you are actually a Hornets fan!

Chief- don't know where Beharall has gone, just said him and Josh Tonks had left the cougars.

Where do we go from here? Well tbf Worky missed 3 kicks at goal so the ones we could have taken would have been cancelled out and the result would have been the same.

Can't really fault any player, Joy clearly still injured,Bridgey struggling then a head injury, Johnno outstanding. Forwards worked hard with what we had available. Lacking at half back seems to be the issue, not much creativity at all.

Injuries yet again hurting us but the lads who came in have done a great job. As for Kershaw and Hooley being dropped, just look at the performance of Hooley in the last two matches,Kershaw dropped the ball again in the act of scoring last weekend. Hooley thinks he is a big time Charlie, Johnno proved today he is a better player for us. 

Not our day today against a robust Worky side, a full first team for us would have seen them off but it wasn't to be. Proud of the lads efforts today, just a bit disappointed we couldn't snatch a winner.

That's sport,we win together,we lose together. Some folk on here still think we are a "massive" club. Stop living in the past. It is what it is. The game was still entertaining today in what some reckon is a rubbish league. The fans were still in decent spirits in the club after and appreciative of the lads effort.

Oldham til I die. Up the Yeds!

It's always worse when you only lose by a couple of points because you look at what could have been and start laying blame.

We tackled well again and conceded tries on kicks. We could have won if we had put their winger in touch for their last try and executed our chances better at the other end.

From my perspective I thought Hewitt played well on the left distributing the ball to Johnson and Reid in second half but agree it is a bit predictable and he does need to vary the tactics and take the line on now and again.

It is a tough league and most games are entertaining and competitive. Pity more people don't want to watch it.

Archived