North Wales Crusaders - 1st Julyl 2018

gogledd

Hi Hemel fans

Please don't forget we have moved to Queensway Stadium, Queensway, Wrexham Ll13 8UH. Kick of is at 2:30pm

We have a well stocked bar and food outlets at the ground - or you could get in touch with the club and book hospitality.

Adults £10, Concessions £7

A warm welcome awaits/ Croeso cynes i bawb

A tough game in heatwave conditions , I shouted the drop goal home thinking it had just got over the bar but the general concensus was that it just went under , about time we had a bit of luck  with kicks. We had one today where a grubber kick going dead hit the post gifting them 6 points.

Great support from Hunslet today, hope you enjoyed your day with us in the sun.

Apparently some of you were caught out by the toll on the Widnes/Runcorn bridge. If any of you need to pay, please visit the Merseyflow website before midnight tomorrow to avoid any fines.

https://www.merseyflow.co.uk/

Good luck for the rest of the season.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

Hi,

First - sorry about the Hemel mistake. That happens when you are rushing and doing things late. No insult intended and I hope none taken

Second - I hope the traveling fans enjoyed their day at Queensway.

Third- I'll leave this, and wonder how Mr Sweet drove home!

I'm beginning to think we could get away with murder this season :O

Many times this season we've found a way to win late - all of them legal and most of them deserved. Not so yesterday! Seeing that drop goal "go over" again makes you wonder how the officials could have missed it - the ref was in line with the sticks which can sometimes make it difficult but to anybody on the sidelines (e.g. the touch judges) it was obvious it dropped under the bar. No-one in the crowd could work out what the referee had given (originally I thought he'd given us a penalty), only when we got back to half-way by process of elimination did it start to dawn on everyone what had happened! 

Tough luck on Crusaders who deserved a draw. It was no classic, the conditions caused both sides problems and the most impressive aspect was Crusaders goal line defence which saved 2/3 certain tries. But the grounds are baked like concrete now, which seems to be causing problems handling the ball and, perhaps contrary to what you'd expect, is resulting in forwards-dominated battles. Straugheir came back and was probably our best player, Chappell showed a few good touches but for most it was it was an afternoon of toil in 30 degree heat.

The irony is that a draw would have been good enough! It would still have taken us to third in the table, and being on an odd number of points would have rendered our rubbish points difference irrelevant. But repeats of that performance with the fixture schedule we have for the rest of July will certainly not leave us in third place by the end of the month. 

BTW how rubbish is the BBC results service? When I got back home last night it was showing the result as 18-14 to North Wales, this morning it has been corrected to 18-19 but the scorers are listed as Tries - Sanderson 2, Ashton; G-Sanderson 3; DG-Sanderson.

The actual try scorers were Straugheir, Sanderson, Mvududu, 3 goals from Sanderson and it was Southernwood who "scored" the drop goal.

Maybe the journalist covering the match is related to the officials ... 

1 minute ago, Hawkwindbag said:

BTW how rubbish is the BBC results service? When I got back home last night it was showing the result as 18-14 to North Wales, this morning it has been corrected to 18-19 but the scorers are listed as Tries - Sanderson 2, Ashton; G-Sanderson 3; DG-Sanderson.

The actual try scorers were Straugheir, Sanderson, Mvududu, 3 goals from Sanderson and it was Southernwood who "scored" the drop goal.

The 18-14 "result" is still on teletext. ?

There was some talk after the game that our first try didn't cross the line, I was behind the goal so can't really comment. Not a nice way to lose but there is an argument that the ref gave us more points than he gave to Hunslet.

Have to say I'm concerned about the state of the pitch, with no rain forecast before next weeks home game it desperately needs watering. It's easy to call a game off when there's 6 inches of snow on the ground, but what about the opposite extreme? Thinking about the safety of the players.

All the best.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

17 minutes ago, fearnowt said:

The 18-14 "result" is still on teletext. ?

There was some talk after the game that our first try didn't cross the line, I was behind the goal so can't really comment. Not a nice way to lose but there is an argument that the ref gave us more points than he gave to Hunslet.

Have to say I'm concerned about the state of the pitch, with no rain forecast before next weeks home game it desperately needs watering. It's easy to call a game off when there's 6 inches of snow on the ground, but what about the opposite extreme? Thinking about the safety of the players.

All the best.

There was also talk of Bloomfield and the players on the left being offside for the final Crusaders try - but losing to a controversial try given/not given would never be a bad as losing to a non-drop-goal - there's always some sort of doubt attached to the act of try-scoring that isn't as black and white as a kick at goal.

The pitches must all the the same by now (ours certainly is!) We were talking about this yesterday and the summer of '76 - but of course we didn't have Summer rugby then. I think this is the longest dry spell we've had since the introduction of Summer rugby and yes it will start to cause problems.

Anyway good luck for the rest of the season and if you want to take yesterday's result out on Whitehaven next week, be our guest!

On 7/2/2018 at 8:28 AM, Hawkwindbag said:

I'm told by Ian Golden who regularly covers rugby league games in Wales that the BBC get their RL info off Twitter! At no point was the score Crusaders 18 - 14 Hunslet, so its probably one of our supporters who had too much sunshine Tweeting.

Thanks for feeling our pain - I doubt anything will change but our CEO is appealing to the RFL about the 'drop goal'

Good luck for the remained of the season

Archived