Stanley Rangers leave NCL

Very sad to hear that Stanley Rangers have pulled out of the NCL.   I hope they can re-group over the next few seasons and get back to being one of the great clubs again.

The open age game is teetering on the brink just now - with the exception of a few clubs who are doing well.  There's something broken and I don't honestly know how, and if, it can be repaired.  Clubs travelling away with 11 and 12 players, 6 or 7 people at training sessions, clubs struggling financially.   

Summer rugby for open age hasn't been successful.   Fewer spectators, more expensive coach travel, lower bar takings.   How is it all going to end?  

☹️

How many u18s and 16s teams have Stanley had over the last 5/10 yrs?? They have always been one of the strongest junior sides in West Yorkshire for as long as I can remember, maybe they've not been able to bring many players thru over the last couple of years!

My own view is summer has not worked especially for the 16/18 age group which will obviously have an impact at open age level.  How many open age teams played 10 yr ago and how many now play? 

Our sport is the only sport in the world who thinks it can get stronger by having less players play! 

• 3 weeks later...

I thought that if a club defaulted on 2 fixtures they were excluded from the table, but Stanley have had all remaining results awarded to opponents, why? They won one game, so that team is the only one that loses out

Archived