NEW ISSUE ALERT! Rugby League World online now & in shops NOW!

TRL-RLW-promo-jul18.png

AS the old saying goes, there's a big world out there, and the latest issue of Rugby League World magazine has certainly lived up to its name this month.
Among our interviewees are Wigan ace Sam Tomkins, who will be playing his rugby in the South of France next year, and women's star Courtney Hill, who tells us about her move from Australia to Leeds.
We've got an action-packed five-page section on the Rugby League scene in the country Hill has left behind, including the thoughts of Greg Bird, the former NRL and Origin player now plying his trade at Catalans Dragons.
Also featured in this issue is Sean Rutgerson, the ex-South Africa international who has succeeded Brian McDermott as head coach of the USA.
Meanwhile, the Emerging Nations World Championship is approaching, and this month, the spotlight is on Philippines and Hong Kong.
We also look at the chances of making the game a success in China, while back in Blighty, Matty English explains why he is so happy at Huddersfield and Chester Butler, one the most talked-about players in the Championship, reveals the secrets of his growing success at Halifax.
Lea Roberts was once a prospect at Halifax, but these days, is performing on a very different stage. Read all about his success as a stand-up comedian.
And for something a little bit different, take a look at the story of former Salford player Eynon Hawkins and his amazing exploits during the Second World War.
All this and plenty more inside, don't miss it!

Rugby League World magazine is in shops across the UK from Friday 29th June, and online from Thurs 28th June at www.totalrl.com/rlw - Also available by post and on subscription worldwide from www.totalrl.com/shop

ASK YOUR LOCAL NEWSAGENT TO RESERVE A COPY OF RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD FOR YOU EVERY MONTH (UK ONLY)

Rugby League World magazine is published every month, available on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @rlworld / Instagram @rlworld / Threads @rlworld
Like us on Facebook - facebook.com/rugbyleagueworld

Eynon Hawkins was a very modest man, and not until his passing, and the obituaries of him in the national press were his working colleagues were aware of his life saving exploits at sea. I read a local book covering welsh naval heroes of the Second World war, and Eynon was not given a mention. Nothing at all in Bridgend rugby club, and I have raised the matter up with the local British Legion, as yet no progress. I can assure you that here in South Wales people with Victoria crosses and George Crosses are somewhat thin on the ground.

I do know that Rugby League is even now not going to make you popular, but I do hope that this will give some ground swell for Eynon to be recognised in his own area.

I watched the BBC antique programme on Sunday night, and there was shown a Lloyds medal which a person had been awarded for saving lives at sea, this of course is one of the  medals Eynan was also awarded- although in monetary terms this was one of the lesser value honours it was still worth four hundred pounds. Must admit I have never seen this medal before, but then only limited number awarded.

Archived