The realities of life at this level

Bedford Roughyed

https://barrowrlfc.com/2018/06/statement-from-david-sharpe-on-behalf-of-the-club/

Some good details of how hand to mouth things are.

I know CH gets things wrong but I think this highlights the difficulties of operating at this level are.

Solutions are much harder to come up with than soundbites.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

44 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

https://barrowrlfc.com/2018/06/statement-from-david-sharpe-on-behalf-of-the-club/

Some good details of how hand to mouth things are.

I know CH gets things wrong but I think this highlights the difficulties of operating at this level are.

Solutions are much harder to come up with than soundbites.  

Just read it. Wow,I didn't realize it could be that bad.£7.50 in the bank. The game is in a pickle isn't it?.

1 hour ago, spanishknight said:

Keighley are also in trouble with a couple of players refusing reduced terms.

Things aren't looking too good for rugby league at the moment.Worried is a massive understatement.I know we're all rivals but none of us wants the other to go belly up.

Stop overspending . Live within your means. Keighley/Haven started the season with the same money as every club £75000. Now its 45k and 60k to keep the club going for this season. Hmmm somewhere there has been boom or bust to get out of the league. Id rather stay in League 1 for a while and consolidate than throw all the eggs (which you dont have) in one basket.

The same problem will reoccur next season because basically they are saying they need £120000 and £135000 for one season? Cant exist on the £75000 central funding plus sponsorship, merchandise etc. Rank bad management to keep up with the Jones's spending what you dont have.

We know we have debt,most owed to CH for directors loans, regardless of that we always have a capable and decent squad and finish the seasons .....so far.

Huge sympathy for fans of the clubs involved, it could be any of us,we pay our money and support our teams. No sympathy for the "businessmen"/directors that try to get to the promised land by overspending and basically deceiving supporters.

Is it worth the future existance of a club by seeking a dream you simply cant afford and bankrupting the club ala Oldham Bears? I think not

4 hours ago, roughyed1064 said:

2 /3 years i believe this club and others will not exist, they only league that they seem to give a toss about is Super League. Sorry state of affairs but that's how it seems to begin going.

SL is the only 'product' that is bringing in big money, so of course they will concentrate on that.  SL are struggling too (bless them...) so people are constantly making hard short term decisions.  They have to give a toss about SL if anything will survive.  

However, that doesn't mean cutting off everyone else, they need to start working together instead of trying the fight over scraps.  

The RFL get things wrong, no doubt.  At the same time clubs do too.  How many times do business men lose all control once they pass over the club threshold.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 minute ago, roughyedspud said:

Blame the utterly ridiculous rfl grant structure in the championship...some clubs get 4-5 times as much as the lesser sides....

Didn't the clubs vote for this, as rewards for league positions?  Competition would drive up standards etc.  The RFL often get the blame for things the clubs themselves vote and decided on.  I might be wrong in that it was imposed, but the RFL have been rudderless/fire fighting for a while now so doing things without any consent doesn't always ring true.  

it was probably put to them as a take it or leave option....they can't afford to say no.

We can pretty much pick who will be in the top 4,middle 4 and bottom 4 before the season kicks off based purely off the grant they receive....it's not a even playing field....

I've said many times on the main forum that the TV money wasn't split properly,there's enough money to give every club in the 3 leagues a decent wedge,to fund the whole sport and god forbid grow the sport..

From memory.....you could give every SL club £2m a year which is more than they get now....every championship club $400k & every league 1 £250k a year....and that still leaves the RFL £4-5m a year to do as they please,too pay for promoting games,development officers etc...

But no...the RFL is corrupt as fxxk

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

47 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

it was probably put to them as a take it or leave option....they can't afford to say no.

We can pretty much pick who will be in the top 4,middle 4 and bottom 4 before the season kicks off based purely off the grant they receive....it's not a even playing field....

I've said many times on the main forum that the TV money wasn't split properly,there's enough money to give every club in the 3 leagues a decent wedge,to fund the whole sport and god forbid grow the sport..

From memory.....you could give every SL club £2m a year which is more than they get now....every championship club $400k & every league 1 £250k a year....and that still leaves the RFL £4-5m a year to do as they please,too pay for promoting games,development officers etc...

But no...the RFL is corrupt as fxxk

I'm not sure you could give everyone more than they get now?

1 hour ago, eclecticsheep said:

the last chief exec took a humdinger of a pay day when he departed!  would have run league one with a pay rise!

http://www.totalrl.com/nigel-wood-receive-500000-leaving-rfl

WHY?

The reason behind this is that the RFL are complete dipsticks. That's it basically.

With sooperdooperleague taking complete control of RL in only 3 years time, they will confine many clubs, but their own, to the history books, something drastic needs to take place.

As bad as it may sound, I feel for clubs in the other leagues to survive then some form of  amalgamations  must take place. Being an Oldham fan for almost 60 years I find the thought extremely painful but not as painful as not having my club to support.

We have a great affinity with Rochdale and Swinton so what is against us becoming  one club importantly with a future?

The venue to suit both could be BP and the name must be anything but Manchester.

I still have flashbacks to the day 'sheddings closed for the last time and think how it would have felt waking up the morning after the gates were shut for the last time at Bramley, Chorley, Mansfield, Scarborough, Kent, Carlisle, Belle Vue just to name a few.

This is the reality at our level.

Archived