BARROW GAME.

graham fisher

31 minutes ago, Phil Loxton said:

You know you are good when someone likes it when you lose. And me here thinking you secretly liked Fev???????

Lol Phil ya made my day lol

I don't think anybody in the top 6 other than toulouse & Toronto can take the foot off the gas, your game against London & Toronto could be a season defining moments... Nice to her Duffy on the radio saying your lads had no heart for the fight.. Dangerous words,even with the help of voodoo, black magic & praying to god

Still think you'll make the top 4

Drat,drat & double drat ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, coolie said:

Lol Phil ya made my day lol

I don't think anybody in the top 6 other than toulouse & Toronto can take the foot off the gas, your game against London & Toronto could be a season defining moments... Nice to her Duffy on the radio saying your lads had no heart for the fight.. Dangerous words,even with the help of voodoo, black magic & praying to god

Still think you'll make the top 4

Drat,drat & double drat ;)

"Still think you'll make the top 4" . Can't see it, my top 4 Toronto, Toulouse, Fax and Leigh.

21 minutes ago, YOUNG UN said:

"Still think you'll make the top 4" . Can't see it, my top 4 Toronto, Toulouse, Fax and Leigh.

Sad to say Young un for me at any rate. You will be spot on. Think Fev will lose out on points difference to Leigh. At least you'll see us in the tin pot cup?

10 minutes ago, Phil Loxton said:

Sad to say Young un for me at any rate. You will be spot on. Think Fev will lose out on points difference to Leigh. At least you'll see us in the tin pot cup?

Don't be writing yourself off mate

Owt can happen, Halifax & London have tricky fixtures, you might as well give Leigh the points as they should win their remaining fixtures, if you beat London you could take their place in the 4,Toronto couldn't be any worse for your remaining fixture, that game vs them for me is where you could be pipped at the post. 

How Campbell is.. Any failure could be terminal for Duffy. 

3 hours ago, FarOutRam said:

Players going down with cramp and feigning other injury is creeping into Rugby League. It isn't just Barrow. Very sad to see is this. Players only stayed down if the were really injured, but now they do it to hold up the game

There is such a simple fix to this any player who goes down needing “treatment” should have to leave the field of play for the next set of 6. This would stop all the nonsense of players pretending to get injured especially when the defending team is dipping the ball out. 

www.dewsburyramstv.co.uk - free highlights service

10 hours ago, jamesb0551 said:

There is such a simple fix to this any player who goes down needing “treatment” should have to leave the field of play for the next set of 6. This would stop all the nonsense of players pretending to get injured especially when the defending team is dipping the ball out. 

Referees aren't obliged to stop the game for any reason other than head injuries. If it is the tackled player that is injured then he should hand the ball to a fellow player for the ptb whilst he is receiving treatment. Yesterday's referee was simply far too tolerant of play-acting in a couple of cases: when we have to hold up play in RL because a player is claiming cramp means that we are rapidly heading down the soccer route, which I assume nobody wants.

I don't criticise referees - they have a hard enough job without me chipping a them - but yeterday's display was poor whilst not influencing the outcome of the game. In fact I thought that our players did well avoiding the temptation to become frustrated with a few of his decisions. I do wish that we had gone for goal with the last two penalties that he awarded, however, f only for the sake of my health.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

It was good to get that winning feeling yesterday ... but we did not play well!  Again we lacked creativity in the halves and still lack that tackle breaking forward ...... like Barrows Bullock ... very impressive!  I don't think Heckford is the answer at 7, In the continued absence of Moore I would probably go with Speakman although Sam Day seems to have an eye for a gap and might have the guile to play at 7 .....  Whatever !!   we really need to get the half backs sorted if we still have any aspirations of finishing 8th!

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Referees aren't obliged to stop the game for any reason other than head injuries. If it is the tackled player that is injured then he should hand the ball to a fellow player for the ptb whilst he is receiving treatment. Yesterday's referee was simply far too tolerant of play-acting in a couple of cases: when we have to hold up play in RL because a player is claiming cramp means that we are rapidly heading down the soccer route, which I assume nobody wants.

I don't criticise referees - they have a hard enough job without me chipping a them - but yeterday's display was poor whilst not influencing the outcome of the game. In fact I thought that our players did well avoiding the temptation to become frustrated with a few of his decisions. I do wish that we had gone for goal with the last two penalties that he awarded, however, f only for the sake of my health.

Who'd have thought Cumbrians were so fragile ? Any of the old former Barrow players watching shenanigans like that on a weekly basis must be thoroughly embarrassed. Used to be hard, uncompromising lads as I remember it.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Didn't get to the game (listened in on the radio) and not justifying any shenanigans but we are playing with busted up players at the moment and had a local amateur on the bench (again) as we are that short on bodies due to longer term injuries.

Its getting very tight at the lower end of the Championship now...lots to play for

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Cant agree on the pens BSJ.  I was happy going for the corner and running down the clock.  If we had taken the two they would have kicked off and got hold of the ball in our half by some means and I would have had a heart attack and missed the end of the game!

Very happy to criticise the ref on the subject of injuries at inconvenient times.  I'm sure all teams have tried it at times but it was taken to new extremes yesterday and I cant remember ever seeing a game as badly affected by South American tactics as we saw yesterday..  The last one was unbelievable as the lad was 40 yards form where we were about to play the ball..

1 hour ago, BROADEDDIE said:

Thought Browny and Knowles were very effective on the left against Swindon was hoping to see them again but team changed again, anybody know where Crowther or Ward were, are they injured

Thought nearly everyone gave their all yesterday but Browny was awesome.  Id love to see the tackle count , he must have been doing all his and Crowthers..

Heard he might have been at fault for their second try when pieman threw that fantastic dummy and went under the posts but I thought one of our less effective props was responsible for that one..

Pleased for the lads that they got the win. We are still out of sorts going forward but another narrow defeat after all that effort, in all that heat would have been heart-breaking for them.

1 hour ago, jamesb0551 said:

Morton for MOM for me aswell. Whilst I understand the point you make BSJ for me it all happens way too often, yesterday was extreme but pretty much every drop out a player goes down “injured” 

I think that I was making the same point James - referees shouldn't stop the game except in cases of obvious distress (eg breaks) and head injuries. Otherwise the game should just continue with the player getting treatment either in situ or at the side of the pitch. The referee was at fault for continuously halting play.

As far as the game itself was concerned it is interesting to compare perceptions. I felt that we were fortunate to win, being off the pace in the first half and not much better in the second. Talking to a couple of Barrow fans after the match and they felt just the opposite - that we did deserve the win and dominated most of the game and that Sykes was the difference between the teams. In other words, many RL fans are often much more critical of their team's performance than a neutral may be. I clearly fit into that category.

Ryder made a good impression on me - he carried the ball well and proved quite a handful for their backs. In particular his recovery and speed of playing the ball is very good and should put us on the front foot. The fact that he had only just signed meant that he is unfamiliar with the rest of the team so we should see further improvement. One point that frustrated me was thet he never got a single carry with the ball in their 20m where he seemed to be squeezed out by the presence of Knowles; I would fancy him from scoring from such positions ( a la Jack Austin) given a little bit of ball.

Sam Day had another good performance and I am at a loss to understand his limited opportunities in the team (yes I am biased). He scored a try out of nothing (again) and was a bundle of energy when he was on the pitch. Trout has improved considerably in recent matches. And Morton is all effort and commitment.

We were well beaten in the front row, again, and I would like to see the rotation differ in future - we are very formulaic. At least one more prop for next year is a priority; someone like Bullock would be outstanding for us. Heckford had a mixed game, some good, some bad, but we do need to be playing an actual scrum half, not a makeweight; what has happened to Ansell?

There was an unquestionable effort and desire from all of the players (note their huddle at the end) and Sykes's leadership is making all of the difference. However, there needs to be an even better performance if we are to win next week.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

I think that I was making the same point James - referees shouldn't stop the game except in cases of obvious distress (eg breaks) and head injuries. Otherwise the game should just continue with the player getting treatment either in situ or at the side of the pitch. The referee was at fault for continuously halting play.

As far as the game itself was concerned it is interesting to compare perceptions. I felt that we were fortunate to win, being off the pace in the first half and not much better in the second. Talking to a couple of Barrow fans after the match and they felt just the opposite - that we did deserve the win and dominated most of the game and that Sykes was the difference between the teams. In other words, many RL fans are often much more critical of their team's performance than a neutral may be. I clearly fit into that category.

Ryder made a good impression on me - he carried the ball well and proved quite a handful for their backs. In particular his recovery and speed of playing the ball is very good and should put us on the front foot. The fact that he had only just signed meant that he is unfamiliar with the rest of the team so we should see further improvement. One point that frustrated me was thet he never got a single carry with the ball in their 20m where he seemed to be squeezed out by the presence of Knowles; I would fancy him from scoring from such positions ( a la Jack Austin) given a little bit of ball.

Sam Day had another good performance and I am at a loss to understand his limited opportunities in the team (yes I am biased). He scored a try out of nothing (again) and was a bundle of energy when he was on the pitch. Trout has improved considerably in recent matches. And Morton is all effort and commitment.

We were well beaten in the front row, again, and I would like to see the rotation differ in future - we are very formulaic. At least one more prop for next year is a priority; someone like Bullock would be outstanding for us. Heckford had a mixed game, some good, some bad, but we do need to be playing an actual scrum half, not a makeweight; what has happened to Ansell?

There was an unquestionable effort and desire from all of the players (note their huddle at the end) and Sykes's leadership is making all of the difference. However, there needs to be an even better performance if we are to win next week.

The referee was at fault for continuously halting play.

It's not right of course, but if I'd been the ref, I might have also been rather grateful for the opportunity to have a breather, and some water in that heat.  Maybe our lot weren't too unhappy either - there didn't seem too many protests. ;)

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

2 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

The referee was at fault for continuously halting play.

It's not right of course, but if I'd been the ref, I might have also been rather grateful for the opportunity to have a breather, and some water in that heat.  Maybe our lot weren't too unhappy either - there didn't seem too many protests. ;)

Would you include the point where they managed to haul down Morton when he had made that long mazy break then one of their players was inexpicably hurt in tackling him? After treatment their defensive line was fully set and settled. If you want a breather put the ball out of play (or better still, play RU).

1 hour ago, Lupset Ram said:

I'd like to see Bullock playing in a Rams shirt. What a player. Big and strong, and thundering in like a runaway train. Everett's about the same size. that's where the comparisons end though. 

Doubt that's going to happen LR. I think he's being watched by a couple of SL clubs for next season.

Big relief for us all that we got a home at last, but it was obviously hard work, not helped by the penalties we conceded (some harsh?). Morton played really well, highlighted by his interception and twisting run, only to have it spoiled by the tackler succumbing to injury(!). Ryder was not given the chance to show what he can really do.

With that performance, Jack Smith has gone down in my estimation of his refereeing skills. There is just no need to stop the game for an injury that is not interfering with proceedings as has been mentioned elsewhere. Every drop out takes an eternity and scrums are getting that way too, yet it would see the officials accept the delay in restarting the game.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

15 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Spot on BSJ.  I might be biased too but we seem to pick up every time Sam Day is on the pitch..Maybe he doesn't do his tackling, that is the usual reason for my favourites not getting a run..

Agree about perceptions too.  Its instinctive to view your own teams performance more critically but I would add that if you  score 4 tries to 2 you deserve to win..

8 hours ago, lifer said:

out of the ones that "WENT DOWN" one concussion test, one torn calf muscle and one broken arm.

Don't fret Mr L Losebury are only truly happy when they can whine about the opposition, ref, coach, weather, little todgers etc..

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

8 hours ago, lifer said:

out of the ones that "WENT DOWN" one concussion test, one torn calf muscle and one broken arm.

That's tough, and maybe those players who deserved sympathy and respect didn't get it, because of the players who collapsed like an MFI wardrobe on contact, but who bounced straight back up again after a swig of water and the thumbs up from the physio.

George Bernard Shaw.

12 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Would you include the point where they managed to haul down Morton when he had made that long mazy break then one of their players was inexpicably hurt in tackling him? After treatment their defensive line was fully set and settled. If you want a breather put the ball out of play (or better still, play RU).

Well I don't think the Ref can put the ball out of play, but you have a point, the tactics certainly interfered with our customary lightning quick runs from dummy half. :rolleyes:

George Bernard Shaw.

Archived