Tour de France 2018

After their exit from the World Cup Fernando Gaviria restores Colombian national pride by taking stage one and the first yellow jersey of this year's race. His nation has really emerged as a major player in world cycling.

The number of crashes involving several of the main contenders and the amount of time they lost has made for an interesting start.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark Cavendish makes no impression on the final sprint for the second day running which was hardly surprising given his rather sulky interview beforehand.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Greg Van Avermaet takes the overall race lead after an impressive team time trial from BMC and strikes a timely blow for Belgium on French soil tarmac. 

For some reason Wednesday's highlights programme on ITV4 has been put back from 7 to 10pm.

Our neighbours used to invite us over for lunch and to watch the Tour afterwards they'd get very excited about the scenery, when they saw an area they knew, would tell stories about past cyclists who would stop for a beer and then would promptly fall asleep about one tenth of the way through ( our neighbours not the ancient rider)

I once started out to see some rocks( yes for real) and happened upon a gendarme. When I asked him why he stopped us he said "Monsieur, c'est le tour de France!" and almost stood to attention. There was no one around apart from the rest of the cars stuck there because of the gendarme. The peleton arrived and disappeared without fuss cheer or sound not even from the gendarme. The sense of relief was palpable in our car and the rocks proved the most exciting part of the day!

And from then on I understood my neighbour's idea ot the Tour!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I managed to get a Eurostar ticket to Paris for the 100th anniversary of the Tour, and stood watching for nearly 3 hours, then went for a walk & found the tour buses, and stood talking to quite a few of the teams, then got spayed by the winner, as it was Lance Armstrong, there was probably more than champagne there.

5 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I managed to get a Eurostar ticket to Paris for the 100th anniversary of the Tour, and stood watching for nearly 3 hours, then went for a walk & found the tour buses, and stood talking to quite a few of the teams, then got spayed by the winner, as it was Lance Armstrong, there was probably more than champagne there.

Bloody hell!

7 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

What can one say?

That won't be edited that is?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

7 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Spayed? Is that part of the "process"

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

On 7/10/2018 at 7:17 AM, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Actually that's the exact time I was planning to watch it. I think I've got something planned for earlier 

With Wimbledon, State of Origin and the Tour to catch up on, Engerland won't make the cut chez nous.

Bad start to the day for Croatia as Robert Kiserlovski crashes and is forced to abandon with a suspected broken collarbone.

Not quite the "good omen" the cretin responsible for the Telegraph Sport twitter feed was hoping for.

After two sprint wins for the freewheelin' Dylan Groenewegen today's stage looks very nasty with several of the cobbled sections from the Paris-Roubaix classic included. There will be some very worried men down at the start right now. Could be a good day for Geraint Thomas, only 7 seconds behind in 2nd place overall. He has done well on the "pavé" in the past. Might be a little hot, dry and dusty for a Welshman though.

8 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

My mate is right on the finishing today.

I had a choice of going this weekend for the fête de la fèderation and the tdf or carcasonne in sept....

Right at the mo i wished i had chosen this weekend......

I'm very envious of your mate. Going to be a great day to be there.

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

Today, a falling-off fest.

It was always going to be. From the perspective of somebody sitting on their ###### watching it was one of the best day's racing I've seen on the Tour but from a rider's perspective I'm not sure it's really on to drop a mini Paris-Roubaix into the race. You get the feeling sometimes that the welfare of the riders is of secondary importance now and it's all about creating drama for TV.

Anyhow, terrific effort from Van Avermaet to significantly increase his overall lead and so good to see how much it meant to Degenkolb to win the stage.

Yes indeed it was exciting.  I'm sure the riders appreciated riding into the dust storm kicked up by the various motorcyclists. Lots of commentator comments along the lines you stated. I think this evening the riders/teams may have something to say!

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

It was always going to be. From the perspective of somebody sitting on their ###### watching it was one of the best day's racing I've seen on the Tour but from a rider's perspective I'm not sure it's really on to drop a mini Paris-Roubaix into the race. You get the feeling sometimes that the welfare of the riders is of secondary importance now and it's all about creating drama for TV.

Anyhow, terrific effort from Van Avermaet to significantly increase his overall lead and so good to see how much it meant to Degenkolb to win the stage.

I'm sure I read that viewing figures have taken a big dive.  Maybe it needs 'drama' added?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived