Tour de France 2018

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a superb stage and what an outstanding ride by Geraint Thomas. Credit to Tom Dumoulin for playing his part too.

Sorry to see Mark Cavendish eliminated after finishing well outside the time cut though.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I managed to avoid anything about yesterday's stage until watching the highlights this morning. What a fantastic stage. 

The next couple of weeks could be interesting in team sky. I'm sure that they will have a plan in place and have very professional riders and will use the fact that they have the top 2 riders to their advantage but it will be interesting if all parties will cooperate in the heat of the moment if things get tasty. Possibly the only way in which team sky provide excitement given they are usually so good at shutting things down!

On 7/20/2018 at 7:45 AM, JohnM said:

I heard the local mayor had banned alcohol sales on the day.

There must have been an awful lot of thirsty Dutch people on Alpe d'Huez.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 7/19/2018 at 11:58 AM, glossop saint said:

I managed to avoid anything about yesterday's stage until watching the highlights this morning. What a fantastic stage. 

The next couple of weeks could be interesting in team sky. I'm sure that they will have a plan in place and have very professional riders and will use the fact that they have the top 2 riders to their advantage but it will be interesting if all parties will cooperate in the heat of the moment if things get tasty. Possibly the only way in which team sky provide excitement given they are usually so good at shutting things down!

It's going to be really interesting to see how that pans out in the final week.

10 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Riders sprayed with a caustic substance.... It appears it was a Gendarme spraying a protester who was throwing straw bales into the road.

It looked like nobody's ever told the gendarme what happens when you ###### in the wind.

Geraint Thomas has certainly made the decision an easy one for his team over the last few days. Outstanding in the mountains and only has to hold his nerve in the time trial to secure a well deserved overall victory. Great to see him finally at the pinnacle of the sport after such a long and illustrious career.

Really pleased there were no slip ups in the final TT for Thomas. If there's one bloke who deserves to be at the top of the podium in Paris it's him.  I think he will be a popular winner in the peloton too.

17 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's getting boring now, shouldn't we let another nation win it next time ?

No.

I realize you are joking, but to be very clear;- no.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

50 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

No.

I realize you are joking, but to be very clear;- no.

Quite

And why settle for only two of the three places on the podium?

21 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's getting boring now, shouldn't we let another nation win it next time ?

We are letting another nationality win it, because Chris Froome certainly isn't Welsh like Geraint. :tongue:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I must admit I struggle to respect these cyclists now, rightly or wrongly, I struggle to see how this is a clean sport, or even close to it. 

I'm not sure it is a good sport to hold up on the pedestal that they do.

If anything despite the controversy it has become even bigger than ever over here, I suspect because it is our lads winning. If this was a generation of Spanish lads I wonder what we'd be saying.

Archived