Blake Austin signs for...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dave T said:

According to the cover of LE on this page it says something about Brown to play on in 2019, is that Kevin and is that at Wire?

I think he has been great this year, and working well with Ratchford.

I'd assumed from the way others were mentioning that he wouldn't be here in 2019 that he'd be retiring, but I guess he may look for one final fling now he's retired from international duty.   I've been impressed with him this year and he's a great talker on the field.   My only criticism being that his kicking game (especially positional) isn't particularly good, which is in contrast to Patton who offers a superb kicking game but lacks the vision and passing game of Brown.   I'd guess the LE article refers to K Brown as I can't see Mitch getting another year now we are stronger in the backs.

Talking of Ratchford - he has been the best British fullback this year, and now Price has him settled there where his strengths lie I wouldn't want to see him experimented with in the halves again.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

26 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

I'd assumed from the way others were mentioning that he wouldn't be here in 2019 that he'd be retiring, but I guess he may look for one final fling now he's retired from international duty.   I've been impressed with him this year and he's a great talker on the field.   My only criticism being that his kicking game (especially positional) isn't particularly good, which is in contrast to Patton who offers a superb kicking game but lacks the vision and passing game of Brown.   I'd guess the LE article refers to K Brown as I can't see Mitch getting another year now we are stronger in the backs.

Talking of Ratchford - he has been the best British fullback this year, and now Price has him settled there where his strengths lie I wouldn't want to see him experimented with in the halves again.

Agree with all this. As you know, haven't always been Ratchford's biggest fan, but I think he has been excellent, maybe he is benefitting from being that bit older, and his experiences in the World Cup etc. 

He has never been a good halfback imho and should be considered a number 1.

lets hope mr Austin gets vaccinated against homesickness before he arrives and makes sure there are no personal or compassionate situations back home  lurking ready to crop up 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Nice little video on facebook

If they spent less time on WhatsApp and more time on game management tactics we might have beaten Wigan ?

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

So is Brown getting pushed out 

Brown is out of contract at the end of this season, seems expected amongst the wire faithful that he is off, although I haven’t heard anything personally.

The signing is a real statement of intent.  This guy is at the peak of his game and can play.  Seems to dispel the myth of crocked Aussies coming for a holiday.

Maybe some of these recent NRL signings are showing that UK clubs can afford them and are willing to take a punt.

6 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

The signing is a real statement of intent.  This guy is at the peak of his game and can play.  Seems to dispel the myth of crocked Aussies coming for a holiday.

Maybe some of these recent NRL signings are showing that UK clubs can afford them and are willing to take a punt.

I’m cautious of highlights videos after the Roberts affair but he looks handy:

He must be on one hell of a wage.   He turned down 2.5 million Aussie dollars over 4 years.   He’s on a 3 year deal over here so I assume they’ve rented him a mansion at the top of Hill Cliffe and left this leaflet on the kitchen table for the day he moves in:

7CC46BF8-85BB-4861-A87F-C9A30A85F177.jpeg

Love that bit in the bottom right corner...   “Don’t play the victim. You chose to go and play abroad”

41 minutes ago, Alffi 7 said:

Brown is out of contract at the end of this season, seems expected amongst the wire faithful that he is off, although I haven’t heard anything personally.

Brown is not getting pushed far from it, word has TWP have been sniffing around this season and although he has been doing great this season the deal he would get at TWP would be longer and better. 

I've seen a fair bit of Austin over the last few years.  What you get with him is a dynamic running game with a huge step and a decent support play.  He will score more than his share of tries.

What you don't get is game management.  Canberra have underperformed in the last couple of seasons giving away some big leads and invariably coming out on the losing side of close games.  They have a lot of talent and exciting to watch but Aidan Sezer is just below the best half backs in the competition and Austin as mentioned is not a game manager.  I think this has been their key failing as they probably should have been in the top 8 based on their overall squad.

Austin for Tyrone Roberts leaves Warrington in danger of missing that game management so they still have some work to do for 2019 to be the complete team.

He will be fun to watch though so I am not dissing the signing.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I see him as a bit of a victim of Ricky Stuart's rubbish coaching. Has been trying to turn himself into a conventional half, but that's not his go. Alongside a good playmaking halfback and fullback, allowed to run, he will rip open some of the defences over there. My biggest worry with him would be injuries...

2 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Alongside a good playmaking halfback

And therein lies the problem.

Not many true playmaking halves with an all-round game available in this league.   That’s why I think the chequebook will come out.   There’s supposed to be an announcement of a player-plus-cash swap deal tomorrow, between Warrington and a club over the Pennines...   I wonder if it will be a big money bid for Gale or Trueman, or maybe Sneyd?

54 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I've seen a fair bit of Austin over the last few years.  What you get with him is a dynamic running game with a huge step and a decent support play.  He will score more than his share of tries.

What you don't get is game management.  Canberra have underperformed in the last couple of seasons giving away some big leads and invariably coming out on the losing side of close games.  They have a lot of talent and exciting to watch but Aidan Sezer is just below the best half backs in the competition and Austin as mentioned is not a game manager.  I think this has been their key failing as they probably should have been in the top 8 based on their overall squad.

Austin for Tyrone Roberts leaves Warrington in danger of missing that game management so they still have some work to do for 2019 to be the complete team.

He will be fun to watch though so I am not dissing the signing.

I think that’s a very fair summary. Hodgson is the real game manager in the team there and they looked a bit rudderless and disoriented without him. Hodgson has such a huge effect on the team, bringing everything together. Canberra certainly underperform given their roster and I do feel that’s predominantly due to the halves.

Austin is a better player than Roberts though, but they need to complement his skill set 

Archived