July 14th vs. Batley Bulldogs

NickWeaver

On 7/12/2018 at 9:29 AM, silverback said:

yer talking pap, we aint got any players to rest at all,far too many injured and our key player brown banned, none rested thats a cert fella, and if championship shouldent play SL then we best bin CC cup.(think they have anyways) but honestly dont think we have sent our second team as we aint got one, lets see what happens when you have cas and wigan coming over and you have a few knocks after 8 or 9 games next season you will know what were going thru, and likes been said what happens if one of our players gets crocked over at your place when there working fellas,am told we have had to stump up £2.000 for lads to get back from glasgow on a coach too so dont think all these teams are chomping at the bit to get over. lets see were we all are in a couple a years when you have been bashed around by some real top squads for a season or two and you might get to grip better.ENJOY.

On 7/12/2018 at 9:29 AM, silverback said:

Silver back i know that these are part time teams but last week the coach clearly was saying that he's not bringing his full team to rest them for the other games because they knew this was a loss so why bother. FT and PT teams shouldn't be playing in the same league and hopefully next year we wont have to deal with these issues anymore. We have had PT teams give us a good challenge  and even a loss so that's why it's so disappointing when we get to watch weakened weak teams come play us. 100% respect for the players that do come over and play but team managers are giving up before they board the plane most of the time. With most remaining teams to play us expecting to lose against us they will be looking to send a weak team so they can focus on their other games to get as high up the table as possible. It's logical on their part but it's unfair to us to have to watch this because our team is better. We were always meant to be a SL team and we're working our way from the bottom but man are we excited to be part of a FT league!

I kinda feel like you're both making the same argument from opposing ends. Said argument being that it isn't fair to have teams with vastly different resources competing in the same league. 

The point is well made about Batley not having a second team to send, not to mention having players with work and family commitments. 

It's also not Toronto's fault that they have to face part time sides. Perhaps they will get "bashed around" by "real top squads" for a couple of years if they're promoted but what does that prove?

My takeaway is that it's too bad that the sport's popularity is so low that even in its "heartland", only the top division can field fully professional sides. 

I hope that changes. 

5 hours ago, Markus said:

I kinda feel like you're both making the same argument from opposing ends. Said argument being that it isn't fair to have teams with vastly different resources competing in the same league. 

The point is well made about Batley not having a second team to send, not to mention having players with work and family commitments. 

It's also not Toronto's fault that they have to face part time sides. Perhaps they will get "bashed around" by "real top squads" for a couple of years if they're promoted but what does that prove?

My takeaway is that it's too bad that the sport's popularity is so low that even in its "heartland", only the top division can field fully professional sides. 

I hope that changes. 

Me too..this is to good a game to be struggling even in the heartland..it's not the fans, to a man/woman  they are enthusiastic and knowledgeable .it's not the product....is it the fault of the superleague teams not recognizing that they need to support the lower echelons if the game is to survive?? I don't know but I just wish there was more we could do on this side to support them...

It is also important to remember how new the concept of full time RL actually is. It wasn't till the early 90's that there were ANY fully pro teams, even in Australia. The first full time player was only some 30 years ago. It really is an alien concept to many clubs and fans.

The problem, in England at least, is that there are too few clubs big enough to be full time without TV money ( Wigan, Hull, Leeds, Saints, Warrington, Bradford before they went bust).

There are many who could be with the TV money. The other, smaller ones who are there now are largely by accident of being around and reasonably successful when the TV money came.

The ones who missed out don't see why certain SL clubs are any better than them. They are merely continuing at the level they always have, but the way to the very top has moved a lot further away for no good reason other than luck. The funding gap is ginormous. It never used to be. The Wigan, Leeds, Saints, etc were always at a competitive advantage, by virtue of being bigger places or without serious football competition leading to bigger crowds, and tended to win trophies more often, but were always at least theoretically within reach, playing as part timers without outside funding.

This feeling of resentment is exacerbated when TWP come along with seemingly unlimited funding. It just means one more team they can't hope to compete with. Fans feel that if their club had access to that funding, they could be at the top table too.

And, in most cases, they are absolutely correct.

diexiedean  thanks for that..good info. like anything, it comes down to money, just wish people or a group of people like our owner  would come along and do the necessary but not all folks with money appreciate that, like fertilizer, money only really accomplishes something when you spread it around.. 

Just left RogerT after a nice lunch at his favourite Toronto restaurant Paddingtons in the St Lawrence Market. Eeven the waitresses know him there now and quickly delivered our peameal bacon sarnies with a fried egg on top and a couple of beers to wash it all down. Safe trip back to Batley Rog..see you next time!

Archived