New signing alert

Batley Bob

8 hours ago, fredm said:

With the exception of injuries, all these would have been known about, and should have been planned for, months ago.  Why not have brought in some short term DR or loan players?

Rams are DR'd with Wakey, and still failed to raise 17 players. You don't use it, we have it but don't use it, and I'm buggared if I can see the difference.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

If they have a criminal record they will be denied... 

But I don't understand how we haven't tried to get either trial loan or dual reg we are down to bare bones

roger I know they haven't because I know the batley boys lads and not one has been asked 

That's not necessarily true. Immigration laws usually allow some leeway but you have to start the procedure early to get over the obstacles. I believe Ryan Bailey was initially denied entry to Canada but he was granted permission eventually.

Oh I understand it all too well..if you are wealthy and influential enough and have the ear of a minister things can happen that never come to light..I used to work for a Canadian Federal agency and saw it happen all too often. It's the same all over the world don't kid yourself.

1 hour ago, Keep The Faith said:

If they have a criminal record they will be denied... 

But I don't understand how we haven't tried to get either trial loan or dual reg we are down to bare bones

roger I know they haven't because I know the batley boys lads and not one has been asked 

Not necessarily. If the offence was many years ago and a clearance letter is obtained from the British police in advance this shouldn't be a problem. It involves planning which, unfortunately, most Championship clubs aren't geared up for.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Correct and this was pointed out way back in January, you can bet that SL clubs won't suffer the same they will marshall their troops and having full time back room staff makes the job easier, but at the end of the day it's up to the individual player to fill the form out well in time and include all relevant facts correctly.

When I saw the photo I honestly thought it was some sort of a joke! (And that's no disrespect to Danny) This doesn't look good for Batley and another reason why Rugby league is becoming a joke, especially in the league's below Super League. 

The trip to Toronto is costing the bulldogs 6-7k. Why didn’t we tell the R.L.F.C. that we couldn’t fulfill the fixture because of injuries, work, visa problems? We would probably been fined by the powers that be but it may have been cheaper for the club. We will be in a similar situation next season because I don’t think they will get promoted. There again the rules may be altered to get them up !

1 minute ago, Stephen B Senior said:

The trip to Toronto is costing the bulldogs 6-7k. Why didn’t we tell the R.L.F.C. that we couldn’t fulfill the fixture because of injuries, work, visa problems? We would probably been fined by the powers that be but it may have been cheaper for the club. We will be in a similar situation next season because I don’t think they will get promoted. There again the rules may be altered to get them up !

i thought toronto paid all the expenses for the trips including air travel and hotels, thats what someone on the TWP forum seemed to be telling everyone,  but your right i would a given em 2 points and had the lads have a rest, but fans have already gone out so wouldent be good really.

back to players...am told WAGGA is game for a few beers and a bag a crisps..he would be our answer to a few prayers for the next few weeks, fit as a lop too and cant drink much so low maintainance..:popcorn::comando:

28 minutes ago, silverback said:

back to players...am told WAGGA is game for a few beers and a bag a crisps..he would be our answer to a few prayers for the next few weeks, fit as a lop too and cant drink much so low maintainance..:popcorn::comando:

Might as well starting playing masters if bring anyone else out of retirement  

Toronto pay for the flights plus b&b in student accommodation. When asked about evening meal the RL said if they were at home they would be feeding themselves. The bulldogs have to pay for coach to Manchester airport. The team land early Monday at Glasgow thus incurring another 2k unrefundable cost . The trip from Glasgow to Batley will take almost as long as the flight. The RL say this is good for the growth of the game I say it is stupidity.                    This has mnever happened yet to any team, but what would be the scenario if a player got injured and gets hospitalised ? Would somebody stay with him? Who would pay cos not all have insurance? Who would pay for return travel costs? Never had these problems going to heartland rugby towns like Bramley Chorley etc etc

15 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Might as well starting playing masters if bring anyone else out of retirement  

twas a joke tom mi old...but i would have him, lets face it nobody else wants to come up to mount for some reason or other.

2 minutes ago, Stephen B Senior said:

Toronto pay for the flights plus b&b in student accommodation. When asked about evening meal the RL said if they were at home they would be feeding themselves. The bulldogs have to pay for coach to Manchester airport. The team land early Monday at Glasgow thus incurring another 2k unrefundable cost . The trip from Glasgow to Batley will take almost as long as the flight. The RL say this is good for the growth of the game I say it is stupidity.                    This has mnever happened yet to any team, but what would be the scenario if a player got injured and gets hospitalised ? Would somebody stay with him? Who would pay cos not all have insurance? Who would pay for return travel costs? Never had these problems going to heartland rugby towns like Bramley Chorley etc etc

so they dont cover all the costs then, i did think players had to have insurance nowadays. i used to love the trip to bramley, bar almost an touchline...

If the offence is spent who the hell do Canada think they are. It's a flying visit to get beat handsomely then back home to jobs families and a bit of semi pro rugby.

Car and house insurance enquire if you've a criminal record and many h.r departments love a c.r.b/ d.b.s check to prevent/ cease employment.

I've had a few d.b.s checks for junior rugby. Rfl consider anything to be considered but as there is nothing underage or sexual why punish someone time and time again 

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Yet our former loanee Green  has gone to Bradford, a few other swaps and pick ups at clubs around us, yet we plod on with no outlook or ambition, or so it seems. The end of this season can't come quick enough and just let's look at the whole thing from coach downwards, we're back to 2015, just not good enough.

4 minutes ago, phildog said:

Yet our former loanee Green  has gone to Bradford, a few other swaps and pick ups at clubs around us, yet we plod on with no outlook or ambition, or so it seems. The end of this season can't come quick enough and just let's look at the whole thing from coach downwards, we're back to 2015, just not good enough.

i think green came in p/x on butterworth other direction. maybe still up for grabs from bradford if he aint req, like you say much player movements last few weeks but none up to mount much.

20 minutes ago, phildog said:

That Castleford Tigers, one of the better SL teams, have had to sign a 33 year old from Championship Rugby League and the aforementioned young lad, Butterworth, from Championship 1 suggests that picking up good loan players is not that easy this year Phil.  We have seen some good players on loan but there does seem to be a general lack of availability compared to other seasons.

The Batley News suggests that Brambani is now available so that at least is good news.

1 hour ago, 9' oller said:

If the offence is spent who the hell do Canada think they are. It's a flying visit to get beat handsomely then back home to jobs families and a bit of semi pro rugby.

Car and house insurance enquire if you've a criminal record and many h.r departments love a c.r.b/ d.b.s check to prevent/ cease employment.

I've had a few d.b.s checks for junior rugby. Rfl consider anything to be considered but as there is nothing underage or sexual why punish someone time and time again 

Fulyl agree. Our Immigration have no reason to deny entry if the offence has been addressed in the UK. Utter nonsense.

2 hours ago, 9' oller said:

As an independent country it is entirely in Canada's remit to decide who they will, and won't, let into the country. As for spent convictions, they shouldn't prevent a person from being granted an eTA (although that's likey dependent on the offence) but proof that the offence is spent is required. I believe some players from other clubs have run into problems as they did not have the required paperwork to prove that their offence was spent and did not allow themselves enough time to acquire it through the UK system.

Surely it is not beyond the wit of the people running these rugby clubs to find out exactly what is required for entry into Canada and ensure that all the necessary persons comply with the regulations.  It's not as if it was not known that Toronto was going to be in this league from last september.

3 hours ago, Stephen B Senior said:

When Leigh went to Toronto, a couple of weeks ago, they went without eight of their first choice seventeen. True, we had players suspended, and injured, but there were players who, 'mysteriously' disappeared from the squad that week! We had to call back all our younger players who were out on loan/DR at League One clubs, to get nineteen to travel - thereby disrupting a couple of League One clubs, in vital matches.

The student accommodation was, I believe a considerable distance from the Lamport. Leigh weren't allowed to train at the Lamport, and had to find training facilities, several miles away. Breakfast at the student accommodation was, I believe, 'minimalist' - just what professional sportsmen want in the build up to a game. And yes, it cost Leigh big money to make the trip. They even had to change their kit, as Toronto were celebrating Canada Weekend, by wearing a special red shirt, instead of either their white or black ones!

Should Toronto get promoted, and I can see that happening, what do you think the likes of Wigan, Leeds (providing they don't make way for Toronto!) and Saints will make of these arrangements?

All this goes to prove that Redhall & the 'prime movers ' in rugby league haven't thought though what problems minor league teams may have regarding the expansion of the game but I'm sure that the 'fact finding/ practically trips ' with hospitality would have been fun .....never heard of anyone having visa problems going to Bramley,Chorley etc.

1 hour ago, AlanE said:

When Leigh went to Toronto, a couple of weeks ago, they went without eight of their first choice seventeen. True, we had players suspended, and injured, but there were players who, 'mysteriously' disappeared from the squad that week! We had to call back all our younger players who were out on loan/DR at League One clubs, to get nineteen to travel - thereby disrupting a couple of League One clubs, in vital matches.

The student accommodation was, I believe a considerable distance from the Lamport. Leigh weren't allowed to train at the Lamport, and had to find training facilities, several miles away. Breakfast at the student accommodation was, I believe, 'minimalist' - just what professional sportsmen want in the build up to a game. And yes, it cost Leigh big money to make the trip. They even had to change their kit, as Toronto were celebrating Canada Weekend, by wearing a special red shirt, instead of either their white or black ones!

Should Toronto get promoted, and I can see that happening, what do you think the likes of Wigan, Leeds (providing they don't make way for Toronto!) and Saints will make of these arrangements?

To suggest that clubs are left to their own devices and provided with substandard hospitality when it comes to travelling here to play us is just wrong, I know from speaking to many of them they appreciate the hospitality and welcome they get as "professional sportsmen" it's a pity that the positive aspects emanating from the trip don't get as much exposure as the negatives but that seems always to be the case with any new venture.

Archived