Who will win?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Wigan Warriors
    • Draw

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

Wow. Wigan are going to have the entire first team banned for the Saints game after such a thuggish disregard for the safety of the poor innocent Huddersfield players. Maybe it will have to be called off. We'll have to send the team coach to Red Hall to contest all the Grade D+ charges.

Same old same old from Wigan. Huddersfield seemed to have a few players missing and did well despite that. I wouldn't get too carried away about beating 2nd place in the table though - Hull KR beat us too and that was a similar shambles of a performance. I wouldn't back us to beat anyone away from home for the rest of the season. We look a completely different team at home than we do away. Losing players didn't help but it didn't excuse the performance. Bateman dropping out and forcing Paisley to centre caused issues and O'Loughlin went off and never returned. However, the reason we lost was quite simply because Huddersfield played far, far better and we lost too much ball and gave away stupid penalties.

These lacklustre performances have become very predictable under Wane, but on a positive note he's always willing to play the younger players (40 debuts from academy products since he took charge) and it was good to see Samy Kibula get out on the field. He's got quite a lot to work on but he's only 18 so plenty of time to improve.

No call to get carried away indeed. Despite the good run of results Hudds are still very much in danger of being in the middle eights.

I thought Fartown's attack was pretty clunky in the second half and given the territory and possession they had then more tries could have been scored. The defence was decent, as was the discipline. The huge number of points conceded earlier in the season means that Huddersfield's points difference is awful despite the run of wins, so they are highly likely to need another win. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, longboard said:

No call to get carried away indeed. Despite the good run of results Hudds are still very much in danger of being in the middle eights.

I thought Fartown's attack was pretty clunky in the second half and given the territory and possession they had then more tries could have been scored. The defence was decent, as was the discipline. The huge number of points conceded earlier in the season means that Huddersfield's points difference is awful despite the run of wins, so they are highly likely to need another win. 

Wakey beating Leeds would be helpful. I can think of one poster on here who's day it would take the edge off though. 

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

1 hour ago, longboard said:

The link which you replied to was critical of Wane... but from the moment Wigan players started to get injured and missing and disrupted there form has gone away, just like quite a few other teams. This does not mean they should not still win games (they have won a few very close call wins) but the chances are a lot less, and to win you need to be almost mistake free.  

As is being said the silver lining is that there are some good looking young players coming through. but it seems to me that  (again this refers to all teams) when key positions get disrupted and there are other injuries then performance goes down. In this game the entire back three of the pack was effectively missing.  Those young players coming through will have to be very good indeed to be good enough to replace these in a year or two. 

I understand that O'Loughlin had yet another calf strain and one has to question how long this as to go on. It seems to me it was when he was fresh and fit that Wigans best spell was at the beginning of the season. 

15 hours ago, Ant said:

More than I expected from a Thursday night game 

When was this game originally scheduled. Who had first dibs of when this game could be set... after all it was no a TV game. Why a Thurs, when say there was a choice of Friday evng, Sat Noon/PM and Sun PM.  Sunday 3pm used to be a very popular time when I was a lad.

2 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

When was this game originally scheduled. Who had first dibs of when this game could be set... after all it was no a TV game. Why a Thurs, when say there was a choice of Friday evng, Sat Noon/PM and Sun PM.  Sunday 3pm used to be a very popular time when I was a lad.

There wasn't a choice, the game was moved before the season started due to a concert at the stadium at the weekend.

The 20-12 scoreline flattered Wigan, they were never really in the contest, had Broughy brought his kicking boots and had we executed better it could and should have been more.

As for the game, i struggle to comprehend where we are going, when a team can commit countless penalties for violent foul play, at least 4 penalties for awful high shots, 2 of them on Jerry when he was just about clean through, another stiff arm on Murphy, Clubb going in twice to throw punches at a scrum and not even a yellow card, yet the more serious offence seems to be to put your hand on the ball at the PTB?

12-12 Penalty count, and i would guess half of Wigan's were for foul play, and most of ours were for technical offences, yet the team committing the technical offences gets a man sin binned and a team warning and the team committing high shots and stiff arms get nothing, that's not right surely in this age of supposed player welfare, it's not even that it was my team, we were guilty of a couple ourselves, but surely a referee has a responsibility for player welfare regardless of team colours?

Most of our penalties were correct, as was the yellow card for Bruno, my gripe is that surely there should be more serious action taken for foul play? Hewer showed a complete disregard for player welfare last night yet pinged every technical offence going, he completely lost the plot and allowed both team to do as they pleased unless it was a technical offence, some of the forward passes were laughable, (we got away with the worst one, before anyone thinks I'm just moaning about stuff he did or didn't give us!)

Anyway, thankfully the best rugby playing team won and got the 2 points, but i really think it needs looking at when a referee is happy to let violent foul play go in favour of technical stuff.

3 hours ago, daz39 said:

There wasn't a choice, the game was moved before the season started due to a concert at the stadium at the weekend.

Thanks.   I wonder who has first choice (who owns the stadium) seeing as the RL is a regular 'client'. Yes, I can imagine that if the concert is on a Sat then Fri and Sun is unavailable, but the rotation of home and away ought to be accomodated.

Wigan switches some home games because of pitch work, but those do not affect the day of the week.  My winge is that the Giants lose money, a Thurs is a bummer date, and hurts everyone. 

3 hours ago, meast said:

The 20-12 scoreline flattered Wigan, they were never really in the contest, had Broughy brought his kicking boots and had we executed better it could and should have been more.

As for the game, i struggle to comprehend where we are going, when a team can commit countless penalties for violent foul play, at least 4 penalties for awful high shots, 2 of them on Jerry when he was just about clean through, another stiff arm on Murphy, Clubb going in twice to throw punches at a scrum and not even a yellow card, yet the more serious offence seems to be to put your hand on the ball at the PTB?

12-12 Penalty count, and i would guess half of Wigan's were for foul play, and most of ours were for technical offences, yet the team committing the technical offences gets a man sin binned and a team warning and the team committing high shots and stiff arms get nothing, that's not right surely in this age of supposed player welfare, it's not even that it was my team, we were guilty of a couple ourselves, but surely a referee has a responsibility for player welfare regardless of team colours?

Most of our penalties were correct, as was the yellow card for Bruno, my gripe is that surely there should be more serious action taken for foul play? Hewer showed a complete disregard for player welfare last night yet pinged every technical offence going, he completely lost the plot and allowed both team to do as they pleased unless it was a technical offence, some of the forward passes were laughable, (we got away with the worst one, before anyone thinks I'm just moaning about stuff he did or didn't give us!)

Anyway, thankfully the best rugby playing team won and got the 2 points, but i really think it needs looking at when a referee is happy to let violent foul play go in favour of technical stuff.

Do you guys never stop?

Some of the whinging, from the fans of a winning team, has been world class. 

5 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Do you guys never stop?

Some of the whinging, from the fans of a winning team, has been world class. 

I'm stating that it's a concern that a referee prioritises technical offences over violence, do you think that's acceptable?

It's not "whinging" it's a concern, i presume that, if you're a Wigan fan then that kind of stuff is perfectly acceptable in your world "be reckless" because the officials won't be bothered if you are, just don't slow the PTB down!

54 minutes ago, meast said:

I'm stating that it's a concern that a referee prioritises technical offences over violence, do you think that's acceptable?

It's not "whinging" it's a concern, i presume that, if you're a Wigan fan then that kind of stuff is perfectly acceptable in your world "be reckless" because the officials won't be bothered if you are, just don't slow the PTB down!

It must be absolutely awful for you lot when the opposing team does something underhand. I mean, you have spent years watching a set of choirboys every week.

Huddersfield fans are the biggest set of whingers in RL. You can't even win without having a pop at the standard of refereeing.

How have i had a strop? I've basically pointed out my concerns that a referee has put technical offences before player welfare, isn't that an issue that should be discussed?

How is that "having a strop"?

Is every post anyone makes, when they are unhappy or concerned "a strop"? or is it just certain fans that can't have discussions?

8 hours ago, meast said:

How have i had a strop? I've basically pointed out my concerns that a referee has put technical offences before player welfare, isn't that an issue that should be discussed?

How is that "having a strop"?

Is every post anyone makes, when they are unhappy or concerned "a strop"? or is it just certain fans that can't have discussions?

No but he's part of the discussion, just the opposing voice so you're both stropping or neither of you are. Take your pick.

The thing that's likely riling people up is this overly emotional language. High tackles become "violent behaviour" for example and a player welfare problem when it's done against the players of team.you support. We hear how the games gone soft and to bring back the biff but there's always that caveat mentioned above.

5 hours ago, meast said:

Had you bothered reading it properly rather than just seeing what you wanted to, you'd have seen that I made reference to it being from both teams , but don't let that get in the way of your strop.

On 7/13/2018 at 6:41 PM, meast said:

All about Wigan, using the term "violent foul play" for high shots and a bit of handbags.

On 7/13/2018 at 6:41 PM, meast said:

This is the only time you refer to it being both teams, but it's clearly not your overall point.

Clearly what you were saying is that Wigan were violent (for doing something which happens everygame) and that Huddersfield were on the receiving end of a referee that had no regard for player welfare - which Wigan's on field behavious was a risk to.

No many how you dress it up, that's clearly both about the standard of refereeing (against your team) and the standard of the other team. Your team won and you wrote several paragraphs about how badly your team was treated. When someone else voiced their thoughts you then told them they were having a strop. It's a little pot calling the kettle back is all. Aside from the overly emotive language, I don't have an issue with people criticising the referee and discussing the performance. I only got involved when the hypocrisy showed itself.

That's the last I'll say on it. 

Archived