NRL Proposes International Shake Up

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, B rad said:

"The World Cup success has also had direct impacts on the number of kids wanting to play the game. Fusitu’a runs a junior, U12 programme for Tongan kids, in the last couple of years they’ve had 80-100 signups. But in the year since the World Cup, that number has swelled to 360. “I had to cut the registrations off,” Fusitu’a said ruefully. “We don’t have the resources for any more.” Many of the kids had previously played Rugby Union too, but now wanted to play League. "

https://thespinoff.co.nz/sports/14-07-2018/at-long-last-the-nrl-is-waking-up-to-the-pacifics-rugby-league-potential/

I think a lot of people are a bit glass half empty when they look what the NRL have done and are proposing to do with the international game. I get it, the treatment of the Denver test by them and some clubs (looking at you NZ Warriors) has been really bad. But lets look at the positives. 

Its mid July and nothing has been done to organise any games for the Pacific, 3 of which sit at rank 4 5 and 6. The RLIF have completely ignored them, the success during the RLCW and it seems are happy to let any momentum created to die to continue to focus on the big 3. Is this the act of a competent pro active organisation?

The NRL are the ones developing the players that make these teams so strong and are the ones that have been organising their one game a year. Peter Beatie commented something along the lines of that these teams passion from the players and supporters is something similar to the passion Origin creates and that can be built on.

Its not the NRLs job to organise internationals, but if they didn't our next lot of teams competitive with the big three wouldn't exist. Lets not kid ourselves that the RLIF are doing a great job. They are not. It is a good thing that the NRL are stepping up because if they didn't then our international game wouldn't be near as strong as it is now.  

It’s all well and good suggesting the tier two nations organise their own games or the RLIF do it for them but where would the players come from? We already know the NRL’s views on the Denver Test. What do you think the reaction will be if the tier two nations attempt to take even more players out of the NRL.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

And we have three on our shirt in case you didn’t know.

It's hard to keep up, you keep changing your logo and kit. It's the white t shirt now right?

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

7 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

Mike DennessCaptained the English cricket team in the 1970s and he was Scottish, I think. Captained the English cricket team in the 1970s and he was Scottish, I think.

That was who I was alluding to, there was a Welsh 'England's captain who also played for Glamorgan, which was in Wales last time I looked. The 'England' team represents GB.

3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

It’s all well and good suggesting the tier two nations organise their own games or the RLIF do it for them but where would the players come from? We already know the NRL’s views on the Denver Test. What do you think the reaction will be if the tier two nations attempt to take even more players out of the NRL.

The rulings on this re RU are a joke. We are as bad. My (fanciful) thought would be to create a confederation of the pacific islands to play as a unit... like the Windies. To be fair i then imagine the politics of that would be a laugh a minute.

The audacity of the NRL to suggest England, France and two pacific nations (let me guess before I remember... PNG and Fiji was it i.e. the two pacific nations that are less financially rewarding) play their own 4 nations event is verging on laughable. 

As well, don’t we hear of these 4 year plans every year from one organisation or another, only for them to never eventuate.

Rest assured:

1- the RL World Cup will not be hosted in N America in 2025.

2- the NRL will only propose anything that is in their own interest.

I would love almost all of this “plan” to come to fruition (minus the 9’s and the proposed opponents for Eng and Fra), however, we have been at this point before. Same as always, the organisations at play will not agree and we will hear of a new four year plan mid 2019.

On 7/14/2018 at 12:38 AM, RayCee said:

Are you talking about RL or the desire of the EU? Perhaps both? 

Kidding aside, what has been shown by this publicly announced proposal is that the leadership of international RL is a shambles. This could have been run past the RLIF privately. Surely, public announcements of a future international calendar should come from the body created and assigned the responsibility of international RL.

The fact that the NRL, who are not responsible for the international game, have done this is their way of saying that they want an international calendar that suits them and not what may suit anyone else. They may see it as their way of avoiding a repeat of the Denver test that was shamelessly undermined by them, but they had to yield to in the end. However, it is about whether the RL competition that has the wealth runs the game or the body assigned that task does.

This is about the RLIF not arranging tests that doesn’t suit the NRL. Its the belief that the RL world revolves around the NRL. The NRL have the clout to basically run RL, but do they have the humility to play second fiddle to the RLIF when it comes to the international game?

Australia will run the show , we don't have the humility to play second fiddle. neither would New Zealand or England if they found themselves in the same situation.

It's not a healthy situation, but at the same time I think people overestimate what Australia really can do for the sport beyond playing more test matches in New Zealand and England.

Rugby League can only become a significant global sport if it becomes popular in the USA.Australia just doesn't have the cultural reach to take the game anywhere beyond the  former British colonies in the South pacific.

The games problem is a cultural one, the only affluent country where it is  big time mainstream sport is outside of Australasia a culturally insignificant one.

21 minutes ago, Luckycreed said:

The games problem is a cultural one, the only affluent country where it is  big time mainstream sport is outside of Australasia a culturally insignificant one.

Not sure I understand what you’re saying with that statement?

Youre saying that RL Is only big in an affluent country outside Australasia (UK?) and that it is a culturally insignificant one?   What makes you think this?   Australia and New Zealand are both affluent countries, as is the UK.   There’s not much money in RL partly because of its roots and historical bigotry, but mainly because we haven’t tried to grow in the right way in the past. We sometimes are the orchestrators of our own parochial Northern image.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

8 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

That was who I was alluding to, there was a Welsh 'England's captain who also played for Glamorgan, which was in Wales last time I looked. The 'England' team represents GB.

Tony Lewis was the Welshman who captained England on a tour to India in the early 1970's if my memory serves me right

On 7/15/2018 at 6:37 PM, The Future is League said:

Tony Lewis was the Welshman who captained England on a tour to India in the early 1970's if my memory serves me right

That's the one, well remembered, basically selected because the MCC needed a captain.  Various nationalities play under the England banner... it's effectively GB.

Why, to be repetitive, should Australia be monolithic (whilst having several parliaments within it) but GB be fragmented?

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:25 PM, Luckycreed said:

Anyway how interested are English Rugby League followers in the international game beyond tests against Australia.Looking at the TV figures not much.Wigan vs Warrington Challenge cup game got over 800.000 viewers, the Denver test got about 600 000.

I'm not a RL diehard, but my answer to your question is not interested at all. Well, to be more precise, I love matches against Australia, I like matches against New Zealand, and I pretty much couldn't care less about matches against anyone else.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:32 PM, Hemi4561 said:

Simples, leave the Australians to play with themselves, SOO, and let the other RL playing nations get on with international fixtures as determined by the RLIF without the massive domestic self interest shown by the NRL.

From an English/British perspective, Australia are the biggest draw in RL. Simple as that. We need them and we need to work with them for the sake of RL. If we get it right, it will benefit both countries.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:51 PM, Rupert Prince said:

Why, to be repetitive, should Australia be monolithic (whilst having several parliaments within it) but GB be fragmented?

In my opinion, GB RL was split up in order to try and make the World Cup more viable. It created four nations instead of one, and therefore meant more teams and more possible fixtures. This was done in 1995 when Wales actually had a half decent team because of the RU converts such as Davies, Quinnell, Gibbs, etc. As soon as RU went professional, the stream of Welsh players dried up and Wales RL became uncompetitive against the likes of England and Australia. I can't see that changing anytime soon.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:51 PM, Rupert Prince said:

Various nationalities play under the England banner... it's effectively GB.

You're correct, but I would argue that it is becoming less that way as time progresses. Ireland now has test status and Scotland are improving too, so who knows whether they will gain test status in years to come too. Besides, test cricket is becoming less significant anyway - the money is in the short forms of the game, so I imagine that's where most players will want to play in future. Scotland and Ireland already have teams, and I can foresee Wales having their own team in future too, so it will be less of a Great Britain thing.

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

I'm not a RL diehard, but my answer to your question is not interested at all. Well, to be more precise, I love matches against Australia, I like matches against New Zealand, and I pretty much couldn't care less about matches against anyone else.

Our sport has never been like Rugby Union or cricket where it is all about the international game and only hardcore  tragic types follow the domestic stuff.

The domestic club comps have always been the primary focus with the rep stuff as a bit of icing on the cake.

I am sure the NRL do not want to end up like Rugby Union where the mainstream {and then only in QLD and NSW} take a look at a Bledisloe cup game against New Zealand and that is about the extent of their interest in the sport.

One of the commercial; networks down here tried Super Rugby free to air and it flopped big time.Even tests against other top nations like England and South Africa rate lower than NRL and AFL club games, it;s only the All Blacks that interest the mainstream.

Wales  played in a tournament called the World Championship played throughout 1975.spanning both hemispheres.From memory the first half of it was played in Australia in June and July and the second half in England and Wales in October.Also from memory Wales were very competitive against everyone including Australia.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:14 AM, Bedford Roughyed said:

So the Kangaroos coming here instead of Lions tour down under? 

I'll be very happy if that happens. The last world cup showed that the Aussies aren't much interested in international matches right now. I can't blame them really, considering that they've been so dominant for so long.

We need to play the matches in England to give ourselves a chance.  If we could somehow win a series at home, it would then make sense to play the next series in Australia. I expect their fans would then turn out to see them try and regain the Ashes.

Seen this today and what Dutton and Sinfield says makes sense:

WORLD OF PAIN

World Cup boss believes NRL’s international plan could impact the tournament

Aussies' plan to have separate Four Nations tournaments in 2020 could put off sponsors, says Jon Dutton

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/6849433/world-cup-boss-believes-nrls-international-plan-could-impact-the-tournament/

Archived