Professional rugby in Cumbria

silverfox

Following on from the Topic. Town, Haven predictions , I cant understand the mentality of some of the supporters thinking its great to see professional clubs in financial  trouble , and discussing it in the forum . I'm a Town fan . and its only a couple of seasons ago that we were in trouble , So there is no way  I could take pleasure in another club in the same situation. We need all clubs to survive , What would it be like if there was only one club left  in west Cumbria . the derby matches would be a Big miss for the supporters,  and the revenue generated which helps to keep these clubs afloat . So we should hope that Haven and Barrow ,and any other Pro club gets out of there financial situation . So get behind these clubs and hope rugby league survives ,and there will still be enough clubs playing this great game to watch .    

1 hour ago, The bricky said:

First post spot on,most people in west Cumbria would feel that way. Second post the small  minded people of Cumbria 

It’s fact lad. If you run a business according to what you can afford you don’t get that problem.

Thats business. If you aren’t fit to run it let someone do it that can.

1 hour ago, The bricky said:

I have had a business for 40 years i don't need you to tell me how to run one.

How many year in business have you been lad.

He’s been in the bull###t buisness for ages to be fair.

2 hours ago, The bricky said:

I have had a business for 40 years i don't need you to tell me how to run one.

How many year in business have you been lad.

22 and built up almost £2m of assets but if you’ve been in business that long then you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about won’t you. 

Unless you’ve been bust as well in which case you probably don’t know what I’m talking about.

In all seriousness what Geordie is saying  is true. If you spend more money than you’ve got then you’re asking for trouble. It doesn’t take a genius to work that out, yet countless successful businessman who have been part of local and national rugby league clubs have failed to adhere to basic principles of business.

Hence the mess of rugby league clubs in general apart from the odd few.

3 minutes ago, Rango said:

In all seriousness what Geordie is saying  is true. If you spend more money than you’ve got then you’re asking for trouble. It doesn’t take a genius to work that out, yet countless successful businessman who have been part of local and national rugby league clubs have failed to adhere to basic principles of business.

Hence the mess of rugby league clubs in general apart from the odd few.

Not only rugby either marra massive football clubs like leeds and rangers plus a lot more have also done it

4 hours ago, GeordieTownie said:

22 and built up almost £2m of assets but if you’ve been in business that long then you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about won’t you. 

Unless you’ve been bust as well in which case you probably don’t know what I’m talking about.

Surely you can't spend all that money GT, how about donating to your favourite rugby league club as I'm sure they would spend it wisely!!

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

49 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

Surely you can't spend all that money GT, how about donating to your favourite rugby league club as I'm sure they would spend it wisely!!

I have donated in the past marra but I can’t stress enough how much it needs to be self funding......and unfortunately there’s a few hundred grand of liabilities to go with the assets.

11 hours ago, donald said:

Not only rugby either marra massive football clubs like leeds and rangers plus a lot more have also done it

Doesn't make it right though Donald. We have been guilty as well which nearly finished us. The difference is that some clubs like yourselves, Donny, Keighley, Oldham to name a few have become serial offenders knowing they can just wipe off the debt by starting again under a new name. I don't want any club to go out of existence but they shouldn't be allowed to carry on doing this. It's a mockery.

32 minutes ago, unicorn106 said:

Doesn't make it right though Donald. We have been guilty as well which nearly finished us. The difference is that some clubs like yourselves, Donny, Keighley, Oldham to name a few have become serial offenders knowing they can just wipe off the debt by starting again under a new name. I don't want any club to go out of existence but they shouldn't be allowed to carry on doing this. It's a mockery.

And that’s where my issue lies.

They’ve been so hell bent on beating Town and taking players from Town they’ve lost focus of the business side of it and as such deserve what they get.

Its easy to get the begging bowl out but why should the normal working man or genuine RL fans have to fund stupidity when the situation was staring them in the face.

Issue like that don’t happen over night they happen over time. And once identified they need addressed not ignored as financial problems don’t go away they only get worse.

3 hours ago, GeordieTownie said:

And that’s where my issue lies.

They’ve been so hell bent on beating Town and taking players from Town they’ve lost focus of the business side of it and as such deserve what they get.

Its easy to get the begging bowl out but why should the normal working man or genuine RL fans have to fund stupidity when the situation was staring them in the face.

Issue like that don’t happen over night they happen over time. And once identified they need addressed not ignored as financial problems don’t go away they only get worse.

The last few sentences hit the nail on the head,It only comes down to bad management and thats the first thing that needs to be addressed..

• 5 months later...

We have played several times in Whitehaven, Workington or Barrow. For me one of the keys to the development of rugby league in England is a cumbria club in SuperLeague. This passionate supporter people deserves to be represented at the highest level. I know it's hard to overcome local rivalries but the example of the Catalan Dragons proves that it is possible. This would give a boost to our discipline.

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

Rugby league has been dying on it's backside everywhere outside of the select few clubs at the top of the pile.

I hear you guys talking about business but I have to ask...what kind of business opportunity does a lower tier rugby league club present to anyone?

The sad fact is that the thing that has changed is that the top 10% of clubs have become properly functioning professional outfits 

I recall the days (not too long ago) when even some of the top players had jobs outside of rugby..with only the real superstars being afforded full time status.

Basically when Whitehaven played St Helens in the late 1980s you had one team with some full time  players  against a team  with one pro  and  12 local lads.

Now the same fixture would feature one club who recently paid 10k per game to one player. Versus a team who couldn't stump up a 12k sgning fee.

The gap has been allowed to grow way beyond the point of no return.

As a result the grass roots are dying

Keighley,bramley,Oldham, halifax,Sheffield,workington,whitehaven,Barrow, Salford, Wakefield, hunslet

All of these heartland clubs have had the begging bowl out to the fans

And of course that ignores the mismanagement disaster of Bradford 

The top clubs have formed a cartel and everyone else has been cut adrift

A good example is the dual registration scheme...Wigan were using this as a form of punishment for certain players!

The A team system gone,the academy system failed and the top clubs signing up any young talent showing even a modicum of promise,safe in the knowledge that they can always dual register them out.

Back in the day you were not looked at by a top club unless you had a Barla tour behind you. This meant that those very good but not top class youngsters could feed into their local team and develop from there.

As I see it, Workington and Whitehaven arguing about anything is just pointless. ..it's like 2 slap heads fighting over half a wig!

Both clubs have been left to rot by the game which owes both clubs a great deal.

And for advocates of Dr Koukash or anyone else bringing his carnival intof town...just one question..

If a Syrian bloke from cheshire buys a load of guys from disparate corners of the game and sticks a "cumbrian" labe l on it......which bit of that is actually Cumbrian?

There  must be an answer to this...but running after the bus after you have missed it seems a bit stupid to me

Perhaps the 2 leagues full of teams who have been cut adrift,ought to totally accept their lot and realize that they still have a saleable product....i for one prefer watching lower league rugby. Maybe work out a TV deal of their own? Let the 14 fat pigs at the top go and gorgeous themselves - of course that is until they realize that when you allow your feeding roots to wither and die,one day there will be nothing left in the store cupboard.

Just a thought!

There is a level or a ceilng that cumbrian clubs can't go past as things currently stand. Barrow are quite close to that ceiling at the moment IMO. Thats mid table championship. For  any cumbrian club To go past that means stretching yourselves financially.  So without big investment its always gonna be a struggle for Cumbrians in the modern day game. 

Agree with that.

Actually reaching super league would not be a good thing for any of the teams outside of "the gang" Leigh and widnes just the latest to experience the feeling of ####### into the wind.

Without a rich benefactor or major sponsorship it is a doomed venture

If only cumbria had a major business interest in the area! If only there was something like a, multi billion pound nuclear industry in the area?.?...now then surely they would richly support the sporting teams of the area would  they not??

It's fine just so long as the expectation of supporters is a realistic appreciation of the reality.

Both clubs are doing pretty well to survive at all in the financial climate that the RFL have created.

And good to see some local talent getting a chance, an average player from Lancashire is NOT better than an average local youngster

If it came to battling in the trenches for the club...I know which one I'd sooner be stood next to.

Archived