Italian job beckons for North West Lionhearts

http://www.totalrl.com/italian-job-beckons-for-north-west-lionhearts/

The North West Men’s Lionhearts will spend the next week and more in Italy, with two matches being played against the host country and another against a Sicilian Select X111.

A Sicilian Select side will provide the opposition in the tour opener, on Saturday 14 July, while the Lionhearts will take on Italy on Wednesday 18 and Saturday 21 July.

All games could be staged at the Impianti Sportivi della Cittadella Universitaria and Tour Manager Stuart Prior, of Wigan St Patrick’s, said: “It’s a demanding trip and everybody will be given the opportunity to play and shine.

“The purpose of the tour is to help develop the game in Italy by playing representative teams selected from those clubs that do play within Italy.

“It will provide a test for the Italian domestic players to gauge where they are standards-wise and, from the NW Men’s players and support team prospective, it provides a cultural opportunity whilst promoting the sport of Rugby League.”

He added: “We have a well-balanced squad of players who have been performing well in the NWML and we are really looking forward to the challenge.”

All members of the party have paid their own fares, and the squad is Harry Warburton (Folly Lane), Lewis Grimes (Leigh Miners Rangers), Ryan Ashall, Jordan Penny (both Wigan St Cuthbert’s), Benjamin Jones, Scott Robinson (both Wigan St Jude’s), Daniel Gee, Jordan Gibson (Haydock), David Kennedy, Sam Lewis, Jack McHugh (Orrell St James), Wayne Bullough (Garswood Stags), Connor Dutton (Thatto Heath), Ryan Braddock (Wigan St Patrick’s),  Daniel Brown, Philip Woollacott (Latchford Albion), Joshua Hill (Manchester Rangers), Deane Meadows (Shevington), Stuart Pemberton (Wigan Bulldogs), Paul Rickelton (Hindpool).

The management team is: Tour Manager: Stuart Prior (Wigan St Patrick’s), Head Coach: Sean McHugh (Orrell St James), Assistant Coach: John Whalley (Wigan St Jude’s), Team Manager: Perry Kenyon (Thatto Heath Crusaders), Physio: Keiron Ainscough (Wigan St Jude’s), Kit & Logistics Manager: Martyn Ellis (Shevington), Social Media: Ryan Lewis (Bury Broncos), Masseuse: Courtney Horrocks (Orrell St James), Referee: Tara Jones.

On 7/13/2018 at 7:44 AM, DoubleD said:

The North West Men’s Lionhearts will spend the next week and more in Italy, with two matches being played against the host country and another against a Sicilian Select X111.

A Sicilian Select side will provide the opposition in the tour opener, on Saturday 14 July, while the Lionhearts will take on Italy on Wednesday 18 and Saturday 21 July.

All games could be staged at the Impianti Sportivi della Cittadella Universitaria and Tour Manager Stuart Prior, of Wigan St Patrick’s, said: “It’s a demanding trip and everybody will be given the opportunity to play and shine.

“The purpose of the tour is to help develop the game in Italy by playing representative teams selected from those clubs that do play within Italy.

“It will provide a test for the Italian domestic players to gauge where they are standards-wise and, from the NW Men’s players and support team prospective, it provides a cultural opportunity whilst promoting the sport of Rugby League.”

He added: “We have a well-balanced squad of players who have been performing well in the NWML and we are really looking forward to the challenge.”

All members of the party have paid their own fares, and the squad is Harry Warburton (Folly Lane), Lewis Grimes (Leigh Miners Rangers), Ryan Ashall, Jordan Penny (both Wigan St Cuthbert’s), Benjamin Jones, Scott Robinson (both Wigan St Jude’s), Daniel Gee, Jordan Gibson (Haydock), David Kennedy, Sam Lewis, Jack McHugh (Orrell St James), Wayne Bullough (Garswood Stags), Connor Dutton (Thatto Heath), Ryan Braddock (Wigan St Patrick’s),  Daniel Brown, Philip Woollacott (Latchford Albion), Joshua Hill (Manchester Rangers), Deane Meadows (Shevington), Stuart Pemberton (Wigan Bulldogs), Paul Rickelton (Hindpool).

The management team is: Tour Manager: Stuart Prior (Wigan St Patrick’s), Head Coach: Sean McHugh (Orrell St James), Assistant Coach: John Whalley (Wigan St Jude’s), Team Manager: Perry Kenyon (Thatto Heath Crusaders), Physio: Keiron Ainscough (Wigan St Jude’s), Kit & Logistics Manager: Martyn Ellis (Shevington), Social Media: Ryan Lewis (Bury Broncos), Masseuse: Courtney Horrocks (Orrell St James), Referee: Tara Jones.

I dont get why you're taking a referee when Italy has more than competent officials developing under the RLEF's tutelage?

On 7/13/2018 at 7:44 AM, DoubleD said:

Ps. Great to see the tour going!

On 7/13/2018 at 11:33 AM, deluded pom? said:

I'm sure Matthew Woody will be present at the Sicilian game.

For work reason, I can't. I am Sardinia based and I couldn't travel this time. 
But I'll be producing social content about the games. 

Here you find the Sicilia and Italia Emerging squads. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

6 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Woody, what's the background to the Milano Buffaloes?

Hi mate, I have been asked to write a story about them and I will actually talk to a Milano player today or tomorrow. 
Will publish the article (esay to google translate). 
They're a very interesting team, though it was diffcult for them against the XIII del Ducato, full of expert players. I think Ducato would be very competitive in the French division where Saluzzo play. 

Back in topic, Sicily XIII was guided by Salvo Pezzano, simply the best coach in Souther Italy. Former FIR (ru) élite academy coach (Catania), a big part in sending Giovanni Ruscica and Antonio Arrigo (capped by Italy in International ru Sevens and International RL) to Tully (Queensland) to improve their game. Worked with him down under last RLWC. 
The guy recently guided the Italian under 19 in the friendly match v Serbia and in the playoff v Ucraine and will coach the team at U. 19 euro in Belgrade. 

I've just recently come back from 10 days holiday in Sicily, wonderful place. I wouldn't have minded taking in a game but time was a bit tight with us travelling around Taormina, Agrigento, Siracusa, Raguso etc. and I don't think the missus would have appreciated it. I'd definitely look to return though - where are the clubs based in Sicily? I see Catania seems to be a bit of a stronghold, we flew in and out of there, although didn't stay any nights there

18 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I've just recently come back from 10 days holiday in Sicily, wonderful place. I wouldn't have minded taking in a game but time was a bit tight with us travelling around Taormina, Agrigento, Siracusa, Raguso etc. and I don't think the missus would have appreciated it. I'd definitely look to return though - where are the clubs based in Sicily? I see Catania seems to be a bit of a stronghold, we flew in and out of there, although didn't stay any nights there

Catania is the "heartland", with Spartans getting better and better every year. Lots of Sicialian guys in the Italy u 19 that beat Ukraine and reached the Euros. A very young team, well coached. 
Plenty of RL activity in Palermo, but also Enna and something in Siracusa. 
What it is remarkable about Catania is that they keep training RL also during the ru season. They train every Wednesday, in Winter too. Stage (men, women's) are held all year long, too. 
Next time you're going there, tell me and I'll have you meet with Salvo and the others! 

About the place, well, on the best place in the country, Sicily. I love my Sardinia but feel Sicilian too, as my beloved nonna (grand-mother) was from there. 

21 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Catania is the "heartland", with Spartans getting better and better every year. Lots of Sicialian guys in the Italy u 19 that beat Ukraine and reached the Euros. A very young team, well coached. 
Plenty of RL activity in Palermo, but also Enna and something in Siracusa. 
What it is remarkable about Catania is that they keep training RL also during the ru season. They train every Wednesday, in Winter too. Stage (men, women's) are held all year long, too. 
Next time you're going there, tell me and I'll have you meet with Salvo and the others! 

About the place, well, on the best place in the country, Sicily. I love my Sardinia but feel Sicilian too, as my beloved nonna (grand-mother) was from there. 

Will definitely do Woody.

I have previously been to Sardinia too a few years ago, loved it too, although I was perhaps slightly more fond of Sicily.

Just now, DoubleD said:

Will definitely do Woody.

I have previously been to Sardinia too a few years ago, loved it too, although I was perhaps slightly more fond of Sicily.

Next time in Sardinia you will have a local beer with me!

My article abot the tour.

Of course it's in Italian but you guys can use Google Translate. 

Quote by Sicilian XIII, etc.

http://www.mondosportivo.it/2018/07/18/rugby-league-troppi-lionhearts-per-la-selezione-sicilia-ma-esperienza-formativa-importante/

My dream would be to write about the tour for an English RL magazine ?

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:52 AM, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

I dont get why you're taking a referee when Italy has more than competent officials developing under the RLEF's tutelage?

Tara is also a developing referee from here in the UK, someone i hope will become the first Super League Woman referee!

She is not doing all the games its a mix but she is entitled to develop and this is her next level, a little like Liam Moore when i took him to Italy and Canada in 2014 + 2015 and now he is a Super League Referee.

Stuart

Tough game for Italians yesterday. Simply were destroyed by the English. 
A big gap between the two sides. 
Lots of good players couldn't make it to Sicily yesterday [hard to manage to leave work midweek] and lots of young players involved with the Italia Emerging team. But still, huge loss and a lesson to learn. 
Done something with social media about the game and now will work on a game recap. 
Also, a kit swap between an Italian player (coach/player at the Mlano Buffaloes) and an English. It must be the first Milano jersey to fly to England! 

By the way, I would have like to see the best domestic squad playing this series. I mean the one who toured Lebanon last year and beat Spain in Saluzzo. Maybe in the future...

Archived