Time for a rethink ?

13 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

I didnt think CLS started until 2013.

Gateshead joined the NCL in 2016, St Albans have never been in NCL, have they?

If the National league 3 was part of the NCL St Albans will  have had two cracks at the NCL

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

Sorry for being thick, what is a false reading?

DR is giving the state of the game in the championship a false reading which will be found out as soon as the `A` team league kicks off and DR stops, this will leave a lot of clubs in turmoil, they will then have to raid the NCL for players, the NCL clubs will then raid the regional clubs which in turn will see more clubs going to the wall.

17 minutes ago, Marauder said:

DR is giving the state of the game in the championship a false reading which will be found out as soon as the `A` team league kicks off and DR stops, this will leave a lot of clubs in turmoil, they will then have to raid the NCL for players, the NCL clubs will then raid the regional clubs which in turn will see more clubs going to the wall.

Sorry but what is a false reading? What does it mean?

Try not to repeat what you have already written as if I didnt understand it the first time I wont the second time.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

But the best so called months are the same best so called months were teams can not fill a team sheet, we are supposed to be rugby players not Judith Chalmers, on average I bet we only loose around 2 weekends maybe 3 in the period between Dec - Feb because of the weather, now balance that against the games not played over the last 8 weeks because the common known reasons not including the world cup, its a no brainer. 

So players aren't allowed a summer holiday like other citizens? What a pathetic retort.

You're missing the point spectacularly like usual. Players in the main do not want to play in winter, where you get boggy pitches and poor skill levels with one up rugby. There will always be reasons for players not attending, moving the game back to winter would be absolutely disastrous. As has been pointed out many times, the current generation coming through have a lot of other distractions and often don't want to commit to full seasons - event types such as 9's festivals in the 6 week period are a great option for clubs to host, with BBQs, outside entertainment, brining in much needed revenue, without disrupting the league programme.

You can see the drop off in adult participation in a lot of other sports, which you and other winter dinosaurs conveniently choose to ignore. It's a shift change in culture of society. Moving the season back to winter would only see further drop off and widen rifts in the game.

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

So players aren't allowed a summer holiday like other citizens? What a pathetic retort.

You're missing the point spectacularly like usual. Players in the main do not want to play in winter, where you get boggy pitches and poor skill levels with one up rugby. There will always be reasons for players not attending, moving the game back to winter would be absolutely disastrous. As has been pointed out many times, the current generation coming through have a lot of other distractions and often don't want to commit to full seasons - event types such as 9's festivals in the 6 week period are a great option for clubs to host, with BBQs, outside entertainment, brining in much needed revenue, without disrupting the league programme.

You can see the drop off in adult participation in a lot of other sports, which you and other winter dinosaurs conveniently choose to ignore. It's a shift change in culture of society. Moving the season back to winter would only see further drop off and widen rifts in the game.

I and many others don't think so and lets not forget, the kids game has also shrunk since moving to summer and I'm not exactly a dinosaur, we've tried the summer and was very successful but we also identified the downfall in what looks like a very good concept, like many say "you haven't got a game without a referee" well it's proving (like last weekend, 10 games out of 22 played) you haven't got a game without players and the stream is drying up very fast

6 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I and many others don't think so and lets not forget, the kids game has also shrunk since moving to summer and I'm not exactly a dinosaur, we've tried the summer and was very successful but we also identified the downfall in what looks like a very good concept, like many say "you haven't got a game without a referee" well it's proving (like last weekend, 10 games out of 22 played) you haven't got a game without players and the stream is drying up very fast

Which is exactly why Sky Try was introduced.

Kids don't want to be training/playing in freezing cold, dark, wet nights

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Union, hockey and football teams do OK, we did OK before and again it's about availability on match days.

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

About training our club starts it’s pre season (Adults) in December and Juniors start in January, they play friendlies in January through to March. National Cup, Challenge Cup start in January and February.

Our A team has been training since December including friendlys they have played 10 matches “Total” and most of them away, and by the way the season finishes first week in August.

In your opinion moving back to Winter would be disastrous well moving to Summer HAS been disastrous, if a success after 5 years we would not be having this debate 

Just now, DoubleD said:

No they don't, take your blinkers off. The pattern is the same everywhere

Just think how much better we'd be doing if we only had to compete with the Xbox and not all the other summer distractions as well.

5 minutes ago, Defender1 said:

About training our club starts it’s pre season (Adults) in December and Juniors start in January, they play friendlies in January through to March. National Cup, Challenge Cup start in January and February.

Our A team has been training since December including friendlys they have played 10 matches “Total” and most of them away, and by the way the season finishes first week in August.

In your opinion moving back to Winter would be disastrous well moving to Summer HAS been disastrous, if a success after 5 years we would not be having this debate 

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Just think how much better we'd be doing if we only had to compete with the Xbox and not all the other summer distractions as well.

You keep that chip on your shoulder and carry on hankering back to the good old days then. In the meantime, the world moves on

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

You keep that chip on your shoulder and carry on hankering back to the good old days then. In the meantime, the world moves on

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

We are moving on and adjusting to the changing times, have you ever wondered why the RFL never kept the Pennine website up to date, have you ever wondered why you can only find anything to do with winter rugby tucked away in some remote corner of the RFL website, have you ever wondered why any potential new teams are never told they have an option of playing winter, summer or both. Guess not!!!

I've wondered where have all the ex-amateur administrators that the RFL used to convince clubs and leagues to go to summer gone to these days ?

3 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

Sorry but what is a false reading? What does it mean?

Try not to repeat what you have already written as if I didnt understand it the first time I wont the second time.

I presume he is saying that DR players playing in the championship means those teams look to have plenty of players (but it is a false reading), when those players are not available due to main club A team commitments the Champ teams will suffer for numbers and so raid the tiers below - those tiers do not all have enough spare players so some may go to the wall due to being unable to fulfill fixtures as their players have filtered upwards to back cover for those DR players

8 minutes ago, Marauder said:

We are moving on and adjusting to the changing times, have you ever wondered why the RFL never kept the Pennine website up to date, have you ever wondered why you can only find anything to do with winter rugby tucked away in some remote corner of the RFL website, have you ever wondered why any potential new teams are never told they have an option of playing winter, summer or both. Guess not!!!

I thought they did that deliberately just to annoy the winter dinosaurs? :)

11 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

I presume he is saying that DR players playing in the championship means those teams look to have plenty of players (but it is a false reading), when those players are not available due to main club A team commitments the Champ teams will suffer for numbers and so raid the tiers below - those tiers do not all have enough spare players so some may go to the wall due to being unable to fulfill fixtures as their players have filtered upwards to back cover for those DR players

He knew exactly what I meant and once the `A` teams start to play the true state of the game will be exposed.

2 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

Mind reader now, your talents never end

If you go right back you'll find I predicted the problems with players on match days and my new prediction is once the `A` teams start the NCL will be the first to be raided by the championship teams and this could inflict the final body blow for some clubs.

34 minutes ago, Marauder said:

have you ever wondered why any potential new teams are never told they have an option of playing winter, summer or both. Guess not!!!

You would think teams would know they could play in the summer or winter, did the advert I saw the other week for teams to join the pennine league say at the bottom, 'you can also play in a summer league? Guess not!!!

Just now, Marauder said:

If you go right back you'll find I predicted the problems with players on match days and my new prediction is once the `A` teams start the NCL will be the first to be raided by the championship teams and this could inflict the final body blow for some clubs.

What is this A team league you are on about?

2 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

You would think teams would know they could play in the summer or winter, did the advert I saw the other week for teams to join the pennine league say at the bottom, 'you can also play in a summer league? Guess not!!!

The RFL are supposed to be running the whole game.

14 hours ago, johnmatrix said:

How many clubs have thrived in the summer? How many of the club's that stayed winter are thriving? 

The answer, is unfortunately, is very few of each.

Everyone seems to get tied up in the summer vs. winter debate and, to be frank, there's no right or wrong answer.

For me, this is a Rugby League issue, not a summer/winter issue.

Everyone is quick to point the figure at the RFL selling 'the summer dream' and also people saying the game is dead in winter. The truth is, summer works for some clubs (such as mine) and winter works for others. 

I think a major factor is that we have both summer and winter seasons so easily accessible for clubs. If one isn't working, they'll simply forfeit their fixtures and jump ship to the other season. This isn't good for anyone

14 hours ago, johnmatrix said:

How many clubs have thrived in the summer? How many of the club's that stayed winter are thriving? 

How many thriving winter sides who went summer are struggling or even gone and how many who went summer but went back to winter are back on a even keel, I think a better question would be around the thriving clubs how many other clubs folded, this applies to both seasons and you'll find that winning teams will not suffer from the yo yo player who is jumping from season to season before any one of them are finished.

I was chatting to the Queensbury secretary last night and since moving to summer they've gone from 3 open-age teams to 1 in a very short time and that's with the aid of the local union team from where they are playing from now, Doncaster Toll Bar was in the same situation but decided to go back to winter were they've pulled themselves around.

Archived