Time for a rethink ?

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:06 PM, Wilber said:

Well everyone in the room voted for it plus its a £100 fine if they don't attend.

pointless voting for things then not engaging in it, they have three games of 7.5min each way and can turn up with 9/10 players so if they cant do that then we all may as well pack up now and go play tiddlewinks

One of the problems of the amateur game is  at meetings many of the secretaries just vote with the majority and not with what they think is the best for their club and at these meeting you'll probably have 3 or 4 secretaries who are vocal.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Marauder said:

One of the problems of the amateur game is  at meetings many of the secretaries just vote with the majority and not with what they think is the best for their club and at these meeting you'll probably have 3 or 4 secretaries who are vocal.

I’ve asked a few secretaries and nobody remembers this particular vote. It would be interesting to see the minutes of the meeting where this vote took place and who was actually in attendance. 

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I’ve asked a few secretaries and nobody remembers this particular vote. It would be interesting to see the minutes of the meeting where this vote took place and who was actually in attendance. 

Sadly not many secretaries take notes at meetings and feed them back to their committee, in fact many only turn up to stop their clubs getting a fine.

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

Sadly not many secretaries take notes at meetings and feed them back to their committee, in fact many only turn up to stop their clubs getting a fine.

The ones I spoke to are generally good it that department. Hence my surprise that they don’t remember the vote

For your reason above its vitally important that minutes are kept

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/16/2018 at 12:48 PM, dixiedean said:

Not entirely sure why we need 4 national NCL divisions? Was brought in to provide elite amateur competition. Having 50 plus teams has drastically weakened the regional leagues.

Agree that the drop off of players is not unique to RL.

Soccer has seen a huge number of clubs and leagues fold in recent years as well. 

There is simply a greater range of pastimes and entertainment these days.

And the league wont,s to accept more teams in. You look in some area,s and there are 5-6 teams, it,s already to diluted 

• 3 weeks later...

Season over for most of the team's in the NCL, we need to look seriously at what has happened this season with many clubs really struggling to get a full 17 player's each week. I honestly believe that if we don't regionilse the lower leagues then the future will be  very bleak for the community game.

Scrap NCL 2&3 and those teams would rejoin the regional leagues which would make them a lot stronger. Less mismatches which I would guess mean more games played. Imagine NWML premier with Judes, Crosfields, Millom etc added to West Bank and Orrell. 

Do we even need 4 NCL divisions? I would say definitely not. 

The NCL should be seen as the pinnacle of the amateur game but now it’s an open house. Clock Face for instance got relegated from NWML premier division and the season after they are an NCL side. I seen Salford Roosters play this year and lose 100-0 with 11 men, 2 of which looked to be 50. Fair play to them for getting the game on and not giving up but that’s not what the NCL should be about. 

2 hours ago, chisholm said:

Season over for most of the team's in the NCL, we need to look seriously at what has happened this season with many clubs really struggling to get a full 17 player's each week. I honestly believe that if we don't regionilse the lower leagues then the future will be  very bleak for the community game.

All the RFL want to is expand, very bad for the game. Should be 2 divisions at most, maybe 3 at a push, but too many mediocre teams  playing in the lowers leagues. Time the Amateur game went back to BARLA and leave the RFL to ruin the Pro Game.

HW

40 minutes ago, johnmatrix said:

Originally was it meant to be for the elite in terms of playing side and facilities etc? 

If it was it probably isn't the case now, or was it never set out that way?? 

In a word "Yes"

On 9/16/2018 at 8:04 PM, shawy13 said:

Scrap NCL 2&3 and those teams would rejoin the regional leagues which would make them a lot stronger. Less mismatches which I would guess mean more games played. Imagine NWML premier with Judes, Crosfields, Millom etc added to West Bank and Orrell. 

Do we even need 4 NCL divisions? I would say definitely not. 

The NCL should be seen as the pinnacle of the amateur game but now it’s an open house. Clock Face for instance got relegated from NWML premier division and the season after they are an NCL side. I seen Salford Roosters play this year and lose 100-0 with 11 men, 2 of which looked to be 50. Fair play to them for getting the game on and not giving up but that’s not what the NCL should be about. 

I think 3 divisions is fine. Agree the third may need looking at. If you were looking to cut to two leagues would need promotion/relegation between second division and regional. Definitely need three NCL divisions for me it has run fine for a long time with that amount

I personally believe that the NCL should completely regionalise. Top 8/10 clubs or whatever North, East, West and South - see League 1 South discussion - Home and Away for local clubs and then some cross conference games, 2 Home 2 Away? before ending in July before August break and September playoffs.

Amateur players don’t want to be doing 200 mile round trips every other weekend and it’s a long way for any fans to get to watch as well. 

And more local matches will bring the interest back and club tills ticking. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

My suggestion would be Premier Division as it is, then Division 1 East and Division 1 West.

Cross division games in the play-offs only.

It'd take a bit of thinking about how promotion and relegation would work, but I honestly think it's the best way forward.

14 teams in each league. If they keep relaxing the criteria as they do now, or the fact that the travel isn't as taxing attracts more teams it could expand to East and West 1 and 2 with straight 1 or 2 up/down between the regional leagues.

On 9/16/2018 at 8:48 PM, Havenwarrior said:

All the RFL want to is expand, very bad for the game. Should be 2 divisions at most, maybe 3 at a push, but too many mediocre teams  playing in the lowers leagues. Time the Amateur game went back to BARLA and leave the RFL to ruin the Pro Game.

HW

I thought it was the NCL decided if clubs entered the league not the RFL.

i agree the bottom 2 divisions should be regonalised but how promotion and relegation would work if say 3 yorkshire teams were bottom of div 1. Some teams needs to drop out anyway, the ones who do not have 2nd teams seem to be the ones that struggle the most.    

• 5 weeks later...

There's rumours abound that Distington and Hensingham have both applied to join the NCL for next season.

If they are accepted, then there's a pretty good chance that will more or less kill off the local league in West Cumbria, at a time when more clubs are needed to create a vibrant competition again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NCL was originally created by BARLA as an elite competition for the best and most ambitious of the amateur clubs. Since then, the expansion to 4 divisions has created 4 divisions of predominantly Yorkshire clubs with the Regional Leagues suffering as a result. 

I personally believe we do need a National league structure of some description for the 'elite' clubs to compete in, but does it need to come under the banner of the NCL, or could it be absorbed into the semi-professional structure as League 2 and League 3 and should only be 2 divisions.

The remaining sides could go back to their regional leagues, BUT at the end of the season compete in a crossover competition to find the Champion of Champions, bit like the Champions League in Football - this could be limited to the league winners and runners up and played over a 4 week period as a precursor to the start of the following season.

Something needs done to help reinvigorate the amateur game …..and quickly 

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:48 PM, Havenwarrior said:

HW

I agree the amateur game should be ran and managed by their someone, …...but BARLA are a spent force.

I know they have had a lot of their powers eroded by the RFL, but people outside of Yorkshire see BARLA as a Yorkshire organisation, to look after Yorkshire clubs.

For this to work, it needs a new management committee set up from scratch with elected reps from each RL playing area to ensure balanced views. The Chair should be on a rotation basis every couple of years, so each region gets an equal voice  

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:06 AM, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I agree the amateur game should be ran and managed by their someone, …...but BARLA are a spent force.

I know they have had a lot of their powers eroded by the RFL, but people outside of Yorkshire see BARLA as a Yorkshire organisation, to look after Yorkshire clubs.

For this to work, it needs a new management committee set up from scratch with elected reps from each RL playing area to ensure balanced views. The Chair should be on a rotation basis every couple of years, so each region gets an equal voice  

It's not a spent force, it's in a position where it can be rebuilt into a more modern association with the right people in the right places and as for looking at it as a Yorkshire organisation why are so many Lancashire and Cumbrians pulling BARLA rep shirts on when they could be filled easily by lads playing in the BARLA leagues from Yorkshire.

Rotation of the chair would just see the association going round in circles and I'll base my assumption on how the BARLA teams have in the past been made up of players mainly from the coaches own county.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought summer rugby was right when NCL clubs voted to change 5 years ago but needed to be reviewed after 3 years 

My view is that open age rugby in the summer rugby doesn't work i might sound like a old stuck in mud bloke,  but lads don't have the same commitment to sport than decades gone by, life has changed for them pressures are different social time is different for people these days due to the way people live and work 

I think Rugby League below Super League and Championship teams,  need to return to winter I believe this will give young lads a clear pathway from Youth rugby to Professional game or community game 

Youth rugby needs to be played in summer then at 16 year old the lads go to Super League clubs if not they then play at community clubs or college rugby it gives a clear pathway,  this will also allow Pro clubs to have reserve teams giving lads from community teams a chance to trial or show themselves in A team rugby without having to leave their mates 

People in charge of RFL NCL & BARLA need to work together and create a long term plan for the good of the game not their own ego's 

My lads are early and mid twenty's , never played rugby in winter . 

Just to put the games problems into some sort of perspective , one lad plays 5 aside football or he did , cant raise a team or team mates just dont turn up leaving them short !!!!

Participation levels in most team sports have fallen of a cliff .  

On 11/16/2018 at 10:08 PM, henage said:

My lads are early and mid twenty's , never played rugby in winter . 

Just to put the games problems into some sort of perspective , one lad plays 5 aside football or he did , cant raise a team or team mates just dont turn up leaving them short !!!!

Participation levels in most team sports have fallen of a cliff .  

The pennine league play in sept,oct, nov dec, jan, feb, mar and april, this is the so called "winter" season.The "summer" season starts in march,with friendlies and challenge cup games in late january and feb.The ncl playoffs final are in october. Most of the current open age players have played in winter,( remember the first 2 televised ncl games last season at mayfield and lock lane).The terms of summer and winter seasons are misleading.When the rfl had a poll on what time of the year the game should be played (the poll was conducted in the middle of the worst winter of recent years in 2013) there were 3 options ,stay in the traditional season, go to "summer" or have a mid season break. i think the last option has a lot going for it.Start in september,have last 3 weeks of december and first 3 weeks of january off and finish in may.This  would see the summer league teams swopping june,july and part of august for october,november.This would also help with pre season training which would be in july and august and not in december and january..It would also help increase the bar takings in club houses as people do stop longer after a game in winter when it is dark and cold and there are very few counter attractions as opposed to the summer months.

3 hours ago, tamseb said:

The pennine league play in sept,oct, nov dec, jan, feb, mar and april, this is the so called "winter" season.The "summer" season starts in march,with friendlies and challenge cup games in late january and feb.The ncl playoffs final are in october. Most of the current open age players have played in winter,( remember the first 2 televised ncl games last season at mayfield and lock lane).The terms of summer and winter seasons are misleading.When the rfl had a poll on what time of the year the game should be played (the poll was conducted in the middle of the worst winter of recent years in 2013) there were 3 options ,stay in the traditional season, go to "summer" or have a mid season break. i think the last option has a lot going for it.Start in september,have last 3 weeks of december and first 3 weeks of january off and finish in may.This  would see the summer league teams swopping june,july and part of august for october,november.This would also help with pre season training which would be in july and august and not in december and january..It would also help increase the bar takings in club houses as people do stop longer after a game in winter when it is dark and cold and there are very few counter attractions as opposed to the summer months.

Just look at the amount of cancellations in the Pennine and the shift to summer. I’m not saying there aren’t issues with participation (like every team sport now) or cancellations in summer but the vast majority of players want to play summer footy, where pitches and conditions allow for more expansive, skilful and freer flowing rugby. 

I don’t mind if the season is tweaked slightly to allow for small blocks free in the summer to allow people to plan holidays, stag dos etc but as a recently retired player, I can tell you that players do not want to return to playing Dec-Feb

17 hours ago, tamseb said:

If you had a 6 week break in Dec/Jan you'd  end up doing 2 preseasons,believe me 1 is bad enough.

Archived